PDA

View Full Version : Post Cardio Meal :)

markotsg
01-02-2003, 04:51 PM
Hey i inetrval training 2 x week and 40 minutes low intensity once a week.
I do it first thing in the morning, on empty stomack, should i drink anything before cardio ?
Whey with water ??

What about after cardio, should i drink whey with glucose (same as after lifing) and when ??
If you ingest sugar would that beat the effect of afterburn and fat burning ???
Should i drink that 1-2 hours after cardio ??
Please give me some feedback.

musmar
01-02-2003, 05:43 PM
I think that after your morning cardio have a regular breakfast or a protein + a carb. A protein shake with a serving of oatmeal should do it.

Timbo
01-03-2003, 07:54 AM
The option of feeding before a morning cardio session should probably be based on factors such as intensity, duration, relative leanness, and length of dieting.

Generally, I wouldn't advise performing an interval session on an empty stomach, as this type of exercise relies primarily on muscle/liver glycogen. The lower intensity exercise could be performed on an empty stomach, as this would optimize fat-burning during the exercise session. I usually wait about two hours following a meal before I perform cardio (which is either interval style or straight-up high intensity). My meal beforehand is composed of just protein and fat.

Eating a meal high in protein and carbs afterwards will facilitate recovery and will NOT inhibit fat oxidation (i.e., "afterburn"). I would take this meal in as soon as possible after the session, as there's no magical window to wait. This can either be a whole-food meal or a liquid meal, whichever is better tolerated and/or desired.

markotsg
01-03-2003, 11:36 AM
I usually take after weight training 44g Whey+40g Glucose +2 Bananas
Should i use this postworkout meal after cardio as well ??
Streight aafter cardio or to wait 1 hour ??

Timbo
01-03-2003, 01:46 PM
No need to wait, ASAP after the session the better. You could probably drop one of the bananas. Actually it depends on your overall goal. If restricting calories, then the latter recommendation holds, but if gaining, then eat as much carbs as desired.

janderstein
01-03-2003, 10:37 PM
When I do cardio in the morning, it is always on an ampty stomach, no other way to get the furnace burning in my opinion. As far as eating goes after cardio, eat a regular meal, I would save the post workout, for post workout i.e. wightlifting sessions.

markotsg
01-04-2003, 01:54 AM
So would you take the meal asp or waith 30-60 minutes to improve fat burning ???

Timbo
01-04-2003, 05:17 AM
Marko...like I said, there's no reason to sit there and watch the clock. The sooner the better. Your body is in a prime condition to partition the nutrients and facilitate recovery. I have seen evidence that consuming a high-carbohydrate meal (i.e., 400g of carbs!) immediately after a moderate intensity cardio session does not inhibit fat oxidation and also does not contribute to significant de novo lipogenesis (i.e., conversion of carbohydrate to fat). Basically the body wants to use the nutrients to restore energy reserves (i.e., muscle glycogen) and will continue to use the body's stores of fat to restore the energy buffer that has been diminished (i.e., ATP stores).

str8flexed
01-04-2003, 10:22 AM
Nice to see you over here T-Dawg!

Timbo
01-05-2003, 07:03 AM
L-Train...great to see you back around here, buddy! How were your Holidays? Beautiful, man. I've been home for the last three weeks or so, but today I'm actually heading back to Austin.

Hope to see you around more, L-Train. If you don't mind, I'll probably be coming to you in the near future with some questions and opinions regarding contests, as I'm planning my first go-round this summer.

Meni
01-05-2003, 09:15 AM
Oh boy the nicknames are out
hee hee
t dawg
L train
can I be
M T?
hee hee

str8flexed
01-05-2003, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Timbo
L-Train...great to see you back around here, buddy! How were your Holidays? Beautiful, man. I've been home for the last three weeks or so, but today I'm actually heading back to Austin.

Hope to see you around more, L-Train. If you don't mind, I'll probably be coming to you in the near future with some questions and opinions regarding contests, as I'm planning my first go-round this summer.

T-Dawg, I would be more than happy to help. What contest are you thinking of doing. I know Dave Goodin (WNBF champion) is putting on the Texas shredder classic which is a big tested show and has very good quality of competitors.
Peace

Timbo
01-06-2003, 08:02 PM
L-Train...I've just started looking. I went to a site called optimumfitness and there was a pretty hefty list of contests. I was thinking of doing a few shows, rather than just a single one. I'll probably opt for those that are in Houston (about 2 hours away) or Dallas (about 3 hours distance).

I haven't heard of Dave Goodin and the Shredder but I'll look into it.

There's a gym down here in Austin owned by a competitor (not sure if he's still active) and has many members who compete. One of the trainers at the gym I go to suggested I go over there some time and talk to this gentleman.

I'll be sure to keep in touch with you though. I know that you've had great success and I respect all that you have to offer. Later, Train.

Meni...you can be whatever you want, bro. Just let us know. Though I'm sure I can formulate something.

str8flexed
01-07-2003, 06:49 AM
L-Train...I've just started looking. I went to a site called optimumfitness and there was a pretty hefty list of contests. I was thinking of doing a few shows, rather than just a single one. I'll probably opt for those that are in Houston (about 2 hours away) or Dallas (about 3 hours distance).

I haven't heard of Dave Goodin and the Shredder but I'll look into it.

There's a gym down here in Austin owned by a competitor (not sure if he's still active) and has many members who compete. One of the trainers at the gym I go to suggested I go over there some time and talk to this gentleman.

I'll be sure to keep in touch with you though. I know that you've had great success and I respect all that you have to offer. Later, Train.

Meni...you can be whatever you want, bro. Just let us know. Though I'm sure I can formulate something.

T-Dawg, That's Hyde Park gym. Dave owns it and yea he still competes. He is the 3 time lightweight world champion of the WNBF (world natural bodybuilding federation) and he's a hella nice guy to. He sent me the entry form for his contest so I can email it to you if you like?
Peace

Timbo
01-07-2003, 02:39 PM
That's the guy, Train! That'd be hella sweet if you drop that entry form on me too. I bet that contest is right down here in Austin. Dave is the guy that I actually need to go talk to...and now I know his name:-)

Hyde Park Gym is cool--from the outside any way. It's got a huge arm curling a dumbbell sticking out from above the entryway.

What are your competitive plans for this year, L-Train?

Anxed
01-07-2003, 02:41 PM
Originally posted by str8flexed
T-Dawg, I would be more than happy to help. What contest are you thinking of doing. I know Dave Goodin (WNBF champion) is putting on the Texas shredder classic which is a big tested show and has very good quality of competitors.
Peace

where is that Texas Shredder classic being held? Dallas? Ive not heard of it, but Im very interested in attending...

str8flexed
01-07-2003, 04:32 PM
That's the guy, Train! That'd be hella sweet if you drop that entry form on me too. I bet that contest is right down here in Austin. Dave is the guy that I actually need to go talk to...and now I know his name:-)

Hyde Park Gym is cool--from the outside any way. It's got a huge arm curling a dumbbell sticking out from above the entryway.

What are your competitive plans for this year, L-Train?

It's in the mail bro :)

I don't think I'm competing this year although i'd like to. I have a bulging disk in my neck and it's cutting off a nerve to my rotator cuff and bicep and thus my left arm is only at about 75% strength. Dr. Joe (wnbf pro bodybuilder/nutritionist/physical therapist/certified strength trainer/ etc/all of the above/my mentor) told me that I won't be 100% for about 6-9 months so that puts a damper on my competition hopes this year. If I'm not better after nine months I'll need surgery. :( Nothing is more frustrating than using 80 lb dumbbells knowing your capable of 130's.

Anexed...the comp is in Austin