PDA

View Full Version : Egg white seperation

Cortic
07-17-2006, 03:30 AM
Hey guys,

Beign a Uni student i have no money and would love to start eaging more eggs for my protein source.

The only thing is to have a 2 whole egg + 6 egg white omlet it takes me about 10 mins in preparation, i get the s**% everywhere and its just bloddy annoying (not to mention wasting 6 egg yolks).

So what are your tips for speeding up the process and keeping it neat and clean?

Sciamach
07-17-2006, 04:01 AM
you can buy pure egg whites that you can measure out (there's a brand called Eggology)-but this is expensive. Or you can buy an egg separator...that might help. Otherwise, I know its annoying but practice will help and eventually you'll be able to separate them easily and quickly.

Cortic
07-17-2006, 04:04 AM
you can buy pure egg whites that you can measure out (there's a brand called Eggology)-but this is expensive. Or you can buy an egg separator...that might help. Otherwise, I know its annoying but practice will help and eventually you'll be able to separate them easily and quickly.

We cant buy pure eggwhites here in Australia to my knowledge :(

Nedo
07-17-2006, 05:42 AM
Eat the whole egg for fu*ks sake!!!

oaks
07-17-2006, 06:04 AM
hey man...i dunno if you are stuck on making omlets for your meal, but i just hardboil my eggs and then scoop the yolks right out. it takes between 10-15 mins to hardboil them and then a matter of seconds to peal off the shell and scoop out the yolk......and no mess!!

Cortic
07-17-2006, 06:16 AM
hey man...i dunno if you are stuck on making omlets for your meal, but i just hardboil my eggs and then scoop the yolks right out. it takes between 10-15 mins to hardboil them and then a matter of seconds to peal off the shell and scoop out the yolk......and no mess!!

Thats a great idea didnt even think of it!!!!

Cortic
07-17-2006, 06:19 AM
Could i hardboil eggs in the microwave?

northernbelle
07-17-2006, 06:24 AM
No you can't hard boil eggs in the MW. They would just explode without water.

If you put them in water then into the MW, it takes just as long as on the stove. I find I can time them better on the stove. Once they've started boiling, I turn the stove off and go do something else.

drewteacher
07-18-2006, 12:42 AM
No you can't hard boil eggs in the MW. They would just explode without water.

If you put them in water then into the MW, it takes just as long as on the stove. I find I can time them better on the stove. Once they've started boiling, I turn the stove off and go do something else.

You can buy little plastic egg holders designed to cook eggs in the microwave. There are different kinds for soft/hard boiling, or for poaching.

chugg
07-18-2006, 12:44 AM
I dont understand how its hard to seperate the yolks. I have never had that problem. I just spray spam in the pan. Srop all the eggs in there and pull the yolks out while holding the pan over the sink.

matthor
07-18-2006, 01:06 AM
Hey guys,

Beign a Uni student i have no money and would love to start eaging more eggs for my protein source.

The only thing is to have a 2 whole egg + 6 egg white omlet it takes me about 10 mins in preparation, i get the s**% everywhere and its just bloddy annoying (not to mention wasting 6 egg yolks).

So what are your tips for speeding up the process and keeping it neat and clean?

watch more of huey dude! uni holidays = me watching too much daytime tv, but my cooking knowledge is increasing :)

on a side note - when is australia gogin to stop being so **** and start sellign all the stuff the US has?!

ab-swing asianbabe
07-18-2006, 01:27 AM
i've been told that egg whites ARE available... but I can never find them either :( I asked my coles and they said they don't stock them anymore

*supermomma*
07-18-2006, 05:45 AM
There are different brands of liquid egg whites. The one we have here is called All Whites, and tho a little pricey, it works for me bc I also hate to waste food by buying whole eggs and not eating all of them. They can be hard to find--usually on the top shelf near the milk, and not all stores carry them.

I got lucky--my store was always running out, bc I would buy the limited quantity they stocked and they wouldn't get more for a week or more--I found them in bulk at BJ's Wholesale Club (don't know if you have these or similar in Australia) for cheap, so I just buy several 4-packs of 16-oz cartons and they last a couple of weeks.

splice
07-18-2006, 10:46 AM
then eat whole eggs. I don't understand the throwing away of the yolk. i eat sometimes 4 a day and im still ticking and do not have high cholesterol. I crack em throw them in the microwave and 2 minutes later im good to eat.

IraHays
07-18-2006, 11:08 AM
Eat the whole dam thing you facist, egg-white supremist, yolk hating racist.

nukLhed
07-18-2006, 11:28 AM
I use powdered egg whites:
http://store.honeyvillegrain.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=578