PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Freezer

The Clap
07-14-2006, 04:53 PM
In anticipation for the winter bulk I am buying a large freezer (and a side of beef to put in it). I was just wondering if anyone knows if a Frost Free freezer is really that much better than the old kind.

I can get a 19.6cf frost free Maytag for about $600, but I know a guy who is selling a used 15cf freezer that isn't frost free for $150.

Has anyone here used both kinds? The area where I live is only humid about 2 months out of the year, so the non frost free one probably wouldn't be that bad. Does anyone here know which kind is more energy eficient?

djnorris
07-16-2006, 04:10 PM
Get the frost free. If you don't, eventually you will get huge amounts of ice buildup in the freezer and it will de-thaw itself. This equals 2-5 gallons of water on the floor depending on the environment the freezer is in.

smoothdster
07-16-2006, 04:16 PM
Get the frost free. If you don't, eventually you will get huge amounts of ice buildup in the freezer and it will de-thaw itself. This equals 2-5 gallons of water on the floor depending on the environment the freezer is in.

+1