PDA

View Full Version : Deciphering how many different exercises I need

Juststaysea
07-12-2006, 01:41 PM
Hello

I'm brand new to the awesome world of bodybuilding (3 days). I was wondering what is the maximum amount of exercises I should do for each body part? I don't want to over do it.

Thanks so much, you all are awesome.

Stacey

arose70
07-12-2006, 01:45 PM
Since you are new what kind of split are you doing?

Full body, push/pull, upper/lower? If you haven't gotten that far that's fine and we can help with that too!

Juststaysea
07-12-2006, 02:34 PM
Okay this is sounding all greek to me and I guess I'm going to have to go out an buy a copy of bodybuilding for dummies. LOL

So far this is what I've acomplsihed and my plan for now.

M-F Cardio 15-20 minutes

M-Triceps, Chest
T- Biceps, Back, Abds, Glutes
W- Quads, Forearms, Calves
TH- Abds, Glutes
F- Legs, Shoulders
S-Abds, Glutes
Sunday- Rest

I also wasn't sure what weight to start at, so I was doing everything at 30 lbs and 50 for my legs, but upon reading various posts and think I need to ramp it up a bit. Any advice?

I'm 5'4, I think I'm 140 (I don't weight myself, it depresses me) but I'm a size 4. I'm hoping the cardio will help me shed some of the weight around my midsection, while gaining some mass at the same time.

arose70
07-12-2006, 02:44 PM
No!!! Its okay, that's why I asked :D! There is SO much info around here, just keep reading and absorbing!

The type of split you use is how you can work different muscle groups. So far, you have no recognizable split :p. And that's okay!

Let's start by organizing some of this. Your body works as a whole in daily life so a good split will have you working muscles that work in the same manner. Since you are starting out it would be a good idea to do a few full body workouts every week.

How about this:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Squats 3x8 (sets x reps)
Stiff legged dead lifts 3x8
Bench press 3x8
bent rows 3x8
pull ups 2x8
Dips 2x8
Shoulder press 2x8
calf raises 2x8

This should take about an hour. You will want to do this in the order here and rotate your starting exercise between squats and deadlifts each time. For starting out you should do weights you can easily accomplish in the 3 sets at 8 reps. This will help you get your form down and prevent any injuries. Do the lighter weights for a couple of weeks.

When you feel comfortable, start adding weight! Eventually add it until you almost cannot complete your last couple of reps on your last set of each exercise.

This is an amazing fat burning program. There are no ab exercises as you will get PLENTY of ab work from squats and deads. Also there is no isolation exercises such as work for triceps and biceps, those get worked slightly in the full body. Once you have been doing this program for a while and are no longer seeing losses/gains you can change it up and add some isolations in there.

As for cardio I'd suggest doing about 20 minutes post weights and then maybe a longer session of 30-45 minutes on the weekend.

How's the diet looking?

arose70
07-12-2006, 02:45 PM
oh and this site is amazing to see the different lifts I'm describing:

www.exrx.net

Juststaysea
07-12-2006, 07:15 PM
Thank you so much! The site is awesome and I liked you're plan. There are just so many exercises that I was finding it very confusing. I was working out in our clubhouse and the machines are less than par. My son, who's 16 and loves to work out was begging and pleading to get free weights, so with this motivation, we went out and bought an amazing bench, that works the legs and arms as well as the free weights. The best part is, I made him put it together. Now I'm so excited I can do the real exercises.

Thank you so much for your help.

As for my diet, I hope this is correct.

Meal #1 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg mushroom and feta cheese omlet
Meal#2 1 cup Oatmeal
Meal #3 Salad with Virgin Olive Oil and seasonings, brown rice and a protein
Meal #4 Small thing of cottage cheese and/or protien bar
Meal #5 Protein, carb (vaires), salad
Meal #6 Fruit or my weakness a hot soft pretzel

I've been really hungry between meal 3 and 5. As a rule of thumb, I never eat until my stomach is telling me to feed it. I lost 52 lbs that way.

Thanks again, you are the best!!!!!!!!

Stacey

DUMB BELLE
07-13-2006, 08:03 AM
No!!! Its okay, that's why I asked :D! There is SO much info around here, just keep reading and absorbing!

The type of split you use is how you can work different muscle groups. So far, you have no recognizable split :p. And that's okay!

Let's start by organizing some of this. Your body works as a whole in daily life so a good split will have you working muscles that work in the same manner. Since you are starting out it would be a good idea to do a few full body workouts every week.

How about this:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Squats 3x8 (sets x reps)
Bench press 3x8
bent rows 3x8
pull ups 2x8
Dips 2x8
Shoulder press 2x8
calf raises 2x8

This should take about an hour. You will want to do this in the order here and rotate your starting exercise between squats and deadlifts each time. For starting out you should do weights you can easily accomplish in the 3 sets at 8 reps. This will help you get your form down and prevent any injuries. Do the lighter weights for a couple of weeks.

When you feel comfortable, start adding weight! Eventually add it until you almost cannot complete your last couple of reps on your last set of each exercise.

This is an amazing fat burning program. There are no ab exercises as you will get PLENTY of ab work from squats and deads. Also there is no isolation exercises such as work for triceps and biceps, those get worked slightly in the full body. Once you have been doing this program for a while and are no longer seeing losses/gains you can change it up and add some isolations in there.

As for cardio I'd suggest doing about 20 minutes post weights and then maybe a longer session of 30-45 minutes on the weekend.

BUMP!!! BUMP!!!!! Brilliant beginner program and advice Arose70. Gave you a rep for that!

When I started training I started with a very similar program and saw awesome results.

Taking Arose70's advice about your weights and reps will also prevent "beginner burn-out" (although I would say you can even try for between 8 -12 reps per set initially).
Most beginners who start with training programs start off by pushing too hard too soon which leads to the "burn-out" They usually train like demons for the first two weeks and then quit, thinking that they are lazy and lack will power. This is not entirely true as the body actually becomes so shocked and overwhelmed that it shuts down. Take a few weeks to "ease" into the program. You want to feel the muscles working but NOT to the point of killing yourself .......... YET!LOL! You need to give your body time to get used to going through the motions and THEN you can gradually start adding weight.
Remember, as a newbie your aim is still to be training and improving for years to come instead of shocking and annihilating your body for a few weeks/months and then quitting the LONG TERM lifestyle of training.
Good Luck!

Juststaysea
07-13-2006, 11:48 AM
Thank you so much for your advise. Last night I went out and purchased myself an awesome weight bench and just a few weights. The heaviest ones I purchased were 25lbs. If I feel I can handle the 50's then I'll do so, but since I couldn't hold it in one hand putting it into the cart, I figured, I'd just wait a little bit!! LOL

I'm going to a Fitness and Figure Show tomorrow night and I'm so excited. I know it will boost my motivation even higher than it is.

arose70
07-13-2006, 12:20 PM
Sorry it took me a moment to get back to you...

about your diet---

Meal #1 2 egg whites, 1 whole egg mushroom and feta cheese omlet--good, you can add even a couple more egg whites here. Also, add some carbs. You could eat 1/2 cup oats here
Meal#2 1 cup Oatmeal1/2 cup oats here and add a protein
Meal #3 Salad with Virgin Olive Oil and seasonings, brown rice and a protein--great!
Meal #4 Small thing of cottage cheese and/or protien bar stick to the cottage cheese if possible and maybe add some natural pb--the fat in the pb will hopefully make this meal "stick" longer and you won't get as hungry.
Meal #5 Protein, carb (vaires), salad--great!
Meal #6 Fruit or my weakness a hot soft pretzel This is okay, because you are just starting out you should be able to get away with this stuff for a while ;). In a few months though if you stop seeing results tweak this and make it another full protein/carb/fat meal.

Juststaysea
07-13-2006, 02:33 PM
I knew the pretzel was going to be a downfall, so I axed it yesterday and I don't miss it.

Thank you again for your advice, I'm going to utilize the changes. The meal #1 is a killer. I'm not having a problem getting up at 5:15 to hit the gym for my morning cardio, but eating breakfast its-self is hard. I've never really eaten this much food before but I know I have to do it.

Since I don't like to eat after 7:30, I'm going to have a protein drink for meal #6. That should handle the protein/carb/fat portion. Maybe I'll put some PB in the shake. YUMMY. oh wait, I bought Pina Colada. That would be gross.

What about egg yolks, should I stay away from them?

Thanks
Stacey

arose70
07-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Great work :). A lot of people try to put you into a diet and ultimately, you will fail. My diet is sub-optimal but I'm happy with the results I get and I can stick to it so I continue to do so. If you don't like eating after 7:30 then don't! "diets" only work when you can actually do them and change your lifestyle in the process :p.

Your last meal being a protein shake you definitely want fat there. What about cottage cheese and pb instead? I personally can't choke down cottage cheese any way you look at it! But if you can, more power to you!!!

And no, don't stay away from yolks-they are wonderful for you. You just have to be more careful with the cals but as far as fat or cholesterol goes, you will be fine if you don't already have cholesterol issues :).

Juststaysea
07-13-2006, 06:49 PM
You mean I'm going to have to count calories. Oy Vay. I've never done that before, but then again, I've never lifted weights, so there's hope for me yet. LOL. If I'm counting calories, then I gather that means I have to weigh and measure my food. I lost 54 lbs in 2 years, just cutting out the garbage and never weighing or counting.

I actually hate all dairy products, but there’s just one cottage cheese, that’s really dry, so I can tolerate that one.

Ok, nix the protein drink before bed.

I did my first work-out and man oh man, was that awesome. I couldn't do the chest dips or the shoulder lifts, so I found another exercise that works the same muscles. I was trying to do push ups, but that was just way too funny and I couldn't continue. My left shoulder is so much weaker than my right. I kept hitting failure with that arm on the last rep. I did do 3x12 on everything except the arms; I did 2x12 on those. When I was done, I just did a bonus of 3x12 leg curls, just for kicks, followed by a nice steamy bubble bath.

Tomorrow I'm off to watch the Fitness and Figure Competition in Ft. Lauderdale. No one wanted to go with me, so I'm taking myself on a date. I can't wait. Heck, I'm probably a better date, then half the men I've gone out with in the past two years.

I really can't thank you enough for helping me out on my new journey. It really does mean the world to me.

Stacey

terracotta
07-13-2006, 08:02 PM
Check out my website.. http://terracotta2.googlepages.com

.Heather.
07-13-2006, 10:36 PM

How about this:

Monday/Wednesday/Friday
Squats 3x8 (sets x reps)
Bench press 3x8
bent rows 3x8
pull ups 2x8
Dips 2x8
Shoulder press 2x8
calf raises 2x8

How's the diet looking?

AROSE - NICE looking routine you set up there!!! I'm also a newbie to this, would you mind if I use this routine to get me started? It looks to be EXACTLY what I need.

:)

Juststaysea
07-14-2006, 04:23 AM
Let me know how the routine works for you. This morning, I'm aching (in a good way) and I know tomorrow I'm probably not going to be able to get out of bed. LOL

Heather, isn't it wonderful how everyone is willing to help out and motivate us? I'm so glad I stumbled upon this site. I no longer feel alone.

Have a great day.
Stacey

.Heather.
07-14-2006, 05:02 AM
Stacey,

Yes, the people here are amazing and inspiring! I am very new to this as well and I have been struggling to find a good routine. I'm so glad that I looked into this thread!

With all the help here, we newbies CAN do this!

arose70
07-14-2006, 05:52 AM
AROSE - NICE looking routine you set up there!!! I'm also a newbie to this, would you mind if I use this routine to get me started? It looks to be EXACTLY what I need.
:o Thanks :o.

Of course I don't mind! ha! Its a pretty basic beginners routine that should get you started no matter what your goals :). Good luck :).

.Heather.
07-14-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks so much arose! You are a wonderful help!

arose70
07-14-2006, 06:18 AM
Sure!

Hey Juststaysea, I just saw that you are near Ft. Lauderdale---I'm a central floridian myself! :)

And for counting your cals you can get an account at www.fitday.com which is a bit tedious in the beginning but is an awesome help. (its free)

Have fun at the comp!

Juststaysea
07-14-2006, 07:47 AM
I went to fitday and it amazes me they have all the junk foods listed. I sat there last night, with sore arms, plugging away putting in the nutritional information from the exact foods I eat. I did good, I kept it under my max caloric intake.

This morning, one of my co-workers asked me if I was working out. He said my arms looked TONED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! After a week, I'm glad someone noticed something. It may be a small thing but to me it's huge.

Arose70, What part of Central Florida are you from?

Gotta get back to work while gagging down my oatmeal with pb. Why did I mix them together? Oh yeah, I was hoping it would taste like Capt'n Crunch. It doesn't. LOL

Two more questions:

1) Should I continue with my cardio every morning M-F? I don't lift the weights until 6:30 or 7:00pm, or just do it on the days I'm not lifting?

2) Should I eat my dinner before or after lifting?

Thanks again

Stacey

arose70
07-15-2006, 06:04 AM
East coast :).

Yuckers on your oats :(.

Cardio can be cut back right now to 3 days a week. You want to leave a little room for down the road when your results slow and then you can add more cardio.

You should have a meal after lifting for sure. I know you don't like to eat late at night but you really should replenish your muscles with a good protein/carb/fat meal after your workout. And before the workout you should have a meal of protein and carbs, no fat.