PDA

View Full Version : How Much Cardio Do I Need ????

laracroft1970
07-12-2006, 08:24 AM
ok here goes another q and hoping in a i get some replys ,l know i might be asking silly q im just learning like the rest of you , thing is i do search like ya all keep saying just so many conflicting ans, so plz be patient with me im sure one day ill be giving advise too and not asking lol (well i can but hope ) .

right at the gym today one of the personal trainers said to me hey coleen you are comming on now ur looking great!!! to this i replyed i still need to lose this last 10lbs or so and then should be nearly there (and maybe look like you ) as she is really cut and looks good, then she said to me i have to do more cardio loads of cardio to shift the fat i dont understand this im so confused i thought too much makes u lose muscle ????????

i am currently doing 20 min fast walk/jog at 6.30 am 5days a week.

AND GYM 3 DAYS DOING AS FOLLOWS

then monday 20 min fast walk treadmill then back/shoulders
wednesday 20 min fast walk treadmill then legs/biceps
friday 20 min fast walk treadmill then chest/triceps

do i need to be doing more cardio or not ????????

food intake

at 8 am 4 egg whites / 30g oatbran / slice pinaple
11am wps
1pm tuna salad / or tuna jacket and salad
3pm sardines on 2 rice cakes or / maybe prawns with some salad.
6pm fish/veg fruit
9pm wps/ or egg whites
?????????????????????

plz any advice is more than welcome beacuse i am really working hard at this and trying to learn so much too .

Miranda
07-12-2006, 08:37 AM
knowledge = power. it's better to educate yourself about nutrition so you can stand up to people who come give you advice out of the blue. i mean, this person tells you to do tons of cardio without justifying her advice or giving you further info on the subject? :mad:

you have posted a lot and if i'm correct you are making process, aren't you?
if the answer is yes, then don't fix it. it's no use swinging from one program to another 'just because'.
if you're plateauing then you need to twitch things.

personally i think you're doing a bit too much. do you have a rest day? cardio before weights is not good as it will exhaust your muscles and make you perform poorly on the dumbbells. remember, weights are much more important than cardio! do it afterwards, preferably with 8 hours sandwiched in between.
you're training one bodypart per week. how about trying full-body WOs so that you do everything 2-3 times?

diet is +/- OK imo. you could add some fat here n there and lose the protein shakes. real food is better. a meal is a P/C/F/ combo, not just one macronutrient. how much cals are you consuming?

just some ideas . . . :)

laracroft1970
07-12-2006, 09:44 AM
hi miranda thanks again, im not sure of how many cls im consuming ive never really checked but will do . i rest at weekends . and i do the 20 min cardio before weights to warm my muscles up ?? thought this is what i should be doing ???? as it isnt an hour warm up just the 20 mins ???. i had used to do the full body workouts 3 times a week but was finding it was taking me like 2 to 3 hours to do the lot doing legs about 6 to 7 exercises just on those then 3 to 4 on each other body part i was exaustd and wasnt getting my pws till about 2ish pm which was far to late ?????, so decided to split body parts ?????. the reason im still asking lots of q and wondering if im doing it right is YES i am making progress muscle wise, but inch loss and weight loss is going so so slow for me i have been doing this now for 5 months but do think it is eaither i wasnt doing enough cardio which you have put me straight on so i know thats not the case now , or my diet which i think it is my diet ???? forgot to say i have also started taking stack this week too just to try and shift this weight quicker i have lost 2lb . hope im not confusing you to much lol. again thanks for replying miranda x

Miranda
07-12-2006, 09:53 AM
i do the 20 min cardio before weights to warm my muscles up ?? thought this is what i should be doing ?

5-10 minutes is plenty. more 5 than 10.

used to do the full body workouts 3 times a week but was finding it was taking me like 2 to 3 hours to do the lot

2-3 hours? :confused: mine take an hour at most (without warming up)

here's an example split. it's the one i'm using :p but pretty good anyway

A
bb squats 3 x 5
middle back shrugs 3 x 8
bb reverse lunges 3 x 5
db flat bench 3 x 8
db lateral raises 2 x 12
db incline biceps 2 x 12
leg extensions 2 x 12

B
bb incline chest 3 x 5
bb good mornings 3 x 8
chest press machine 3 x 5
leg press 3 x 8
one-arm rows 3 x 8
bb skull crushers 2 x 12
front raise w/ disk 2 x 12

C
bb rom deadlift 3 x 5
bb bulgarian squat 3 x 8
db military press 3 x 8
bb bent over rows 3 x 5
c/g bench press 2 x 12
bb biceps curl 2 x 12
lying leg curls 2 x 12

rest 2-3 minutes between sets, 1 minute between the 12 rep ones

YES i am making progress muscle wise, but inch loss and weight loss is going so so slow for me. i think it is my diet ?

could be. how tall are you and how much do you weigh? BF% ?
it would be of great help if you could post the cals and grams of protein, carbs etc.

PS toss the scale.