PDA

View Full Version : cardio for fat loss?

kerazi
07-12-2006, 07:03 AM
hey ppl
im am trying to get into fitness model shape (ha ha arent we all?)
i am trying to ease into training as to not shock my body to early plus im currently spending time with relatives and not in my home country of England.
i was thinking that a good routine would be
cardio 1 hr and 30 mins a day 6 days per week with little resistance training
and a diet of about 1500 calories a day (65 grams of protein)

i will not lift heavy until about 2 months into my new program until i have lost some fat so i know exactly where to build.
i feel that i should focus on losing fat first before i focus on gaining muscle.
is this approach going to be effective?
and how much cardio is neseccary for fat loss? is 1hr 30 mis enough?
i am currently doing 1 hour 4 x per week (for 5 months) but have not lost any fat or weight (due to sloppy eating habits) and i try to train heavy but i am to in consistent and i found my routine to hard to stick to so i am going to focus on cardio until i can get enough motivation to lift heavy
what do u all think ?

emunah
07-12-2006, 07:14 AM
More lifting. You don't want to wait on that...you current idea will result in loss of muscle = lowered metabolism = very very bad.

Cardio isn't necessary for fat loss. Diet is. If your diet is inline you need minimal cardio. You haven't progressed because of your diet. Clean that up FIRST, add a bit of cardio, lift heavy with a good routine, and that should be enough.

Lifting is more important than cardio for your current goals.

Eileen
07-12-2006, 08:01 AM
Get your diet in order and start lifting. Do enough cardio to work your heart and lungs, but don't spend hours at it.

When you are further along and hit a plateau, you may want to increase your cardio. With your proposed level, how do you do that?

sirnext
07-13-2006, 04:22 AM
1hr 30 min is too long, I found with most people 40 minutes med-high intensity is enough.

Work on your diet, that's what is holding you back. Don't starve yourself, 1500 calories is probably about right if you're eating the right foods. At 1500 calories, try and get 85-100 grams Protein.

twinnett
07-13-2006, 06:00 AM
First of all, what are your stats? Height/weight/bodyfat? What does your diet and weight routine look like? You most likely will NOT need to do nearly that much cardio. I actually lost weight when I STOPPED doing an obsessive amount of cardio. With a proper diet and consistent weight training, you won't need all of that, and it won't make you look like a fitness model

MsFit
07-13-2006, 06:34 AM
cardio 1 hr and 30 mins a day 6 days per week with little resistance training
and a diet of about 1500 calories a day (65 grams of protein)

i will not lift heavy until about 2 months into my new program until i have lost some fat so i know exactly where to build.
i feel that i should focus on losing fat first before i focus on gaining muscle.
is this approach going to be effective?
and how much cardio is neseccary for fat loss? is 1hr 30 mis enough?
i am currently doing 1 hour 4 x per week (for 5 months) but have not lost any fat or weight (due to sloppy eating habits) and i try to train heavy but i am to in consistent and i found my routine to hard to stick to so i am going to focus on cardio until i can get enough motivation to lift heavy

You won't "get in shape" on that approach. You'll lose muscle for sure, making you skinny fat.

You are jumping too deep into cardio too soon. When you plateau or hit the wall, what are you going to fall back on? You should hit cardio in a progressive manner and manipulate it as time passes.

Fifteen hundred calories, no training, and 1.5 hours of cardio is a recipe for disaster. You can't lose fat only without proper diet and resistance training.

You should rethink your plan and create something more geared toward fat loss if that's your goal. What you provided will result in metabolic downgrade.