PDA

View Full Version : jumpropes and cellulite???

jeni5.0
07-11-2006, 11:37 PM
hi, i read in an old 'shape' magazine last night that jumproping is the best exercise for banishing cellulite. i know you cant banish it, but has anyone else heard that jumproping helps minimize the appearance of it?

ive also read that running makes it more noticeable, because of the "jarring" of the legs that happens during running.

any thoughts on either of these would be greatly appreciated. :)

jeni

Miranda
07-12-2006, 12:53 AM
*starts to jump rope like crazy*

if it's the 'jarring' that causes it then there's no difference between jumping and running is there?

mommy*2*3
07-12-2006, 03:55 AM
My thought on this is that there isn't a specific exercise that will impact cellulite. Cellulite is clumps of fat and the major factor is genetics and estrogen. Diet can effect cellulite as it is comprised of fat. Exercise will help to keep the fat levels down but I don't think there is a particular exercise that will target cellulite or make it worse. Fat will get deposited wherever it's genetically predisposed to go same with fat loss.

jeni5.0
07-12-2006, 07:56 AM
if it's the 'jarring' that causes it then there's no difference between jumping and running is there?
thats what i thought! :) doesnt make much sense.

ive also read that swimming is the best exercise because of the gentle massage from the water. that makes more sense to me than jumping. and if jumproping is the best, couldnt i just jump around or do jumping jacks?

mommy*2*3
thankyou, i agree with you. except the swimming makes sense to me to. i hate cellulite!

sgtrobo
07-12-2006, 10:28 AM
I looked through the scientific literature and I was not able to find any references to this "gentle massage" water therapy for burning fat. I'm intrigued?

I have a radical concept. Reduce overall calories, keep carbs at minimum, protein at a maximum, fats as necessary, and support this dietary protocol with weight training that BUILDS muscle and cardio that burns calories.

It's not nearly as complicated as people make it out to be. There is no magic bullet, no magic pill, nor any magical massage/jarring properties to any type of exercise routine that will cause cellulite to be removed.

Your body will only remove it if it has to, and you can only force it to remove the cellulite by consistently creating an energy deficit so that your body is forced to use the energy stored in the cellulite.

It sucks, but that is reality. You simply can't do anything specific for it other than take a knife to it. I'm sorry if this sounded harsh, but sometimes, a little plink in the nostrils can wake you up from the haze of reality deprivation.

gecko2424
07-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Found this:

Cellulite has been found to be indistinguishable from ordinary fat in every medical and scientific test. It is not proven whether any cosmetic lotion, massager or pills can reduce/increase cellulite versus ordinary fat. The only effective way to reduce cellulite is the same one which reduces ordinary fat, namely exercise.

justanothagirl
07-12-2006, 12:58 PM
i think intensive cardio helps with cellulite because of the blood flow.. something i heard the other day but mine always crept up during my exams when i sat on my ass all day studying and then it went away after my exams when i went back on the elliptical... also topical lotions such as lipoderm ultra might help

LiftingIsLife
07-12-2006, 01:33 PM
ive also read that swimming is the best exercise because of the gentle massage from the water.

actually jeni, swimming IS one of the best exercise, but not necessarily
for cellulite removal, nor because of gentle 'massaging'... its simply
because there are no 'jarring impacts' to the body (legs/knees/ankles/lowerback), as there exists when running or jumping or
similar....

best,
~lifer

Rachel_n_SD
07-12-2006, 01:52 PM
actually jeni, swimming IS one of the best exercise, but not necessarily
for cellulite removal, nor because of gentle 'massaging'... its simply
because there are no 'jarring impacts' to the body (legs/knees/ankles/lowerback), as there exists when running or jumping or
similar....

best,
~lifer

true, but during our 20's- the OP is 25 years old- impact exercises such as running may be good to improve bone density and prevent osteoporosis. later in life when non-impact exercise is required, swimming would be the best choice.

fitinidaho
07-14-2006, 04:43 PM
Do hardcore runners have cellulite?

emmie
07-15-2006, 01:12 PM
Depends on what you mean by "hardcore", I think. When I was running a lot (about 50 miles/week) I know that I still had cellulite. Skinny, twiggy legs, with cellulite on the upper back thighs...

Most of the professional marathoners are very, very lean. But you be lean and still have cellulite. Cruel, huh??

- Emma

sgtrobo
07-15-2006, 03:11 PM
that's because cardio can only go so far in burning bodyfat. You MUST be able to increase your metabolism, and the only way to do that, short of drug useage, is by adding muscle mass (or by starving)

I would assume, Ms. Emmie, that you were not including much in the way of weight training while you were running alot? Or at least, not training with the goal of adding muscle mass?

emmie
07-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Right-o! When I decided that I wanted to add mass it didn't take long for me to realize that running so much was counterproductive to adding muscle. I was also underfueled in a big way...

- Emma

alohafitness
07-16-2006, 11:55 PM
i think intensive cardio helps with cellulite because of the blood flow.. something i heard the other day but mine always crept up during my exams when i sat on my ass all day studying and then it went away after my exams when i went back on the elliptical... also topical lotions such as lipoderm ultra might help

I agree that hi intensity cardio is what really burns the cellulite cuz I don't have it when I lean out for competition (spinning class, running, sprints, jump rope!) but the moment I cut back on cardio and add back salt n carbs n fat...POOF it's baaaaack! I also think that firming creams help and having a deep tan makes it less noticeable.

Saeco Pink
07-17-2006, 12:58 AM
Well, for what it's worth, endermologie gets rid of cellulite - and that's not surgery.

You can do a home made version of endermologie by using an exfoliating object and vigorously rubbing your effected areas every day. The principle is to increase blood flow to the area and break apart the clumped fat cells so they are more smoothly arranged. This is supposed to be the manner in which endermologie is meant to reduce cellulite.

I agree that high intensity cardio will remove ugly fat, but also low impact cardio, walking in particular, is very effective on lower body mass.

One caveat: If your calorie intake and macronutrient ratio are insufficient for your physique and activity level, you will be very unlikely to achieve your desired results.