PDA

View Full Version : Losing after pregnancy. Help!

poppapump67
07-11-2006, 05:22 PM
Hello, im posting this for my girlfriend. We just had a baby on may 30th and she really wants to get into shape again so i decided to start her at the public gym my father owns. Her stats now are 19yrs 132lbs. Before pregnancy she was 109lbs. My problem is that i dont know what kind of a workout plan to have her on. I lift mon,tues,wed,thurs as does she. Can someone make a workout plan for her for these days. Her gaol is to lose the weight without putting on alot of muscle. We have every machine you can think of so an workout you give wont be a problem.

Our cardio machines consist of.

eliptical
treadmill
stepper
bike

Please help me out. she has been at the gym for 3 weeks and hasnt noticed a diffrence yet and wants to quit.

Eileen
07-11-2006, 05:35 PM
Congratulations on the baby.

First, I think she is starting way too soon. I'd allow at least six weeks of just resting and feeding the baby before she should attempt to do any serious workout. If she started three weeks ago, that means she started three weeks after giving birth, which is an a huge physical effort. She simply isn't ready yet.

Is she breastfeeding? If so, encourage her to continue, that will use up calories like nobody's business. Supplementing with bottles at this stage (unless there is a serious medical reason) tends to just mess things up.

Normally, I'd tell someone itching to get into shape to lift weights, but this soon after giving birth, there's a danger that some of the pregnancy hormones that allow tendons and ligaments to stretch during birth are still around, so lifting could be chancy.

Really, I'd try to get her to slow down a bit. It took nine months to put the weight on, it won't come off overnight, but it will come off. Are there any mother-and-baby groups in the area? They often have fitness classes aimed at new mothers.

Ninja J
07-11-2006, 05:42 PM
It takes 9 months to put it on. When her body is ready .. it will take about 9 months to take it off. Like the PP mentioned, her body is still in shock after having a child. She will need to lift weights, but not right now. Hell, her stomach muscles could easily tear right now. Unless her doctor has told her it is ok, meaning after her 6 week check up, then she can start, but start slow, and go easy on ab works out.
If she's breast feeding that takes up an extra 500 calories a day,s o she needs to be eating properly and eating enough. If she's not eating right, she's NOT going to see results.

poppapump67
07-12-2006, 04:54 PM
Hey, Well right now its past her 6 weeks and her doctor has cleared her to exercise but the problem is that she needs a 4 day workout plan for a girl. She feels fine doing everything now. also she is not breastfeeding so that dont help much.

terracotta
07-12-2006, 05:07 PM
She just wants to lose weight, or she wants muscle gain? If she only wants to lose weight ATM, I would just have her do a moderate amount of cardio.. eg. 30 min of moderate cardio 4 days per week.. waiting til about the 3rd month to add weights back in.

twinnett
07-12-2006, 05:32 PM
How tall is she? How is her diet?

Simpy
07-13-2006, 12:06 AM
Hey, Well right now its past her 6 weeks and her doctor has cleared her to exercise but the problem is that she needs a 4 day workout plan for a girl. She feels fine doing everything now. also she is not breastfeeding so that dont help much.

Girls workout just like guys. Start her on a beginner's workout. I would encourage her to start with light to moderate weights. Chances are she lost some muscle while being pregnant. Most women do. That is, of course, unless she was lacking in the first place. If she just tries to get down to her prepregnancy weight, she could be really disappointed with how she looks.

I was at my pre-preg weight within two weeks. Couldn't fit into my pre-preg clothes until about 4 or 5 months, and that was with some pretty serious working out.

Finally, even though she's been cleared for workouts, have her start slow. It actually takes a woman's body twice as long to recover from pregnancy as it does to be pregnant. My knees and hips didn't get good and sturdy until my son was around 1 1/2 or 2 years old. That doesn't mean she can't do it (I did a half marathon when he was 5 months old), it just means that she needs to be really careful.