PDA

View Full Version : Baked Potatoes vs Sweet Potatoes?

CardioFlava
07-11-2006, 02:06 PM
Which is better Baked Potatoes or Sweet Potatoes, and why? I have seen various diet plans that call for one or the other but never really explaining why one is more beneficial in a meal plan than the other. Any thoughts??

giggedyyy
07-11-2006, 02:31 PM
Both are good source for complex carbs, but sweet potatoes do have a lower GI index, so the nod in my book would go to the sweet potato. I have both on a daily basis :)

Mango
07-11-2006, 02:32 PM
uh, "baking" is a form of cooking a potato, while "sweet potatoes" are a type of potato. but I'm guessing you mean white potatoes versus sweet potatoes?? Sweet potatoes have a lot more nutrients, more fiber, and taste a lot better. IMHO, at least!! ;)

ChocoChick
07-11-2006, 07:05 PM
Nutritionally, they are very close.

Baking (white potato) with skin: [deleted url]

Sweet potato with skin: [deleted url]

The baking potato has 2g sugars, 4g fiber versus 10g sugars and 4g fiber for the sweet potato.

Baking potato has a GI of 60, and a GL of 17
Sweet potato has a GI of 61 and a GL of 17

Eat the one you prefer.

Edited: I can't post a direct link to each item's nutritional values, but you can find out everything you want to know (and then some!) here: http://www.nal.usda.gov/fnic/foodcomp/search/

MsFit
07-13-2006, 05:35 AM
If they are both natural, they are both quality.

batman30034
07-13-2006, 05:39 AM
Yea I agree with everybody. They are just about the same as far a nutrition goes. So you can eat either one but I would go with sweet potatoes they taste way much better.