PDA

View Full Version : pumping iron 2..the women

strictlyred
07-11-2006, 11:32 AM
I just finished watching this today.. and remembered when I first saw it in the 1980s...remembering..Holly sh*t..look at Bev Frances..
Well this time I watched and thought what a difference 20 yrs makes..Bev looks little compared to some of the lovely ladies out there now..
And Rachel McLish looks like a fitness gal today...
The sport has moved into a different direction

MsFit
07-14-2006, 07:29 AM
It's a classic film. I love it. I pull it out from time to time and watch it, along with old tapings of the early 90's NPC fbb comps.

Luvdogs
07-14-2006, 10:55 AM
I tried to find that in BlockBuster, but no luck. Where did you find those older videos/ DVD's?

MsFit
07-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I got mine from Amazon.com.

Also, at the bottom of this page (http://www.theelitephysique.com/store/ebooks/muscle/index.htm).

Luvdogs
07-14-2006, 11:07 AM
Thanks, I'll take a look there. Sometimes I forget about amazon. I always want the free shipping, so darn it, I have to order more!! :D

Titania
07-15-2006, 02:29 AM
I still haven't seen this video yet!!

OMG!!!!! Holy cow!! US$99 for a friggin DVD????!!! The damn thing would want to be made from gold with a solid silver case for that price!!

wide lats
07-15-2006, 03:44 AM
I got the film on video from years ago :) and pumping iron 1. Bev was great in it she was like the woman who would ask everyone how they are and actually seem interested in other womens lives and training. She spoke Aussie as well so it was more like Britain than USA and she seemed really nice, shes got a gym now i heard.

Luvdogs
07-15-2006, 07:49 AM
My thoughts exactly Tatiana! I did see some on E-Bay that were VHS that were way cheaper, butyou never know how good of condition they are in. How come PI 1 is 9.99 and PI 2 is 99.99?? :confused:

Luvdogs
07-15-2006, 07:50 AM
Oops, I spelled you name wrong...sorry Titania :o

Titania
07-15-2006, 08:36 AM
My thoughts exactly Tatiana! I did see some on E-Bay that were VHS that were way cheaper, butyou never know how good of condition they are in. How come PI 1 is 9.99 and PI 2 is 99.99?? :confused:
Hmm...could it be a sex sells thing? If that is true then so much for the "women with muscles are gross" comments so typical in society :p
Maybe it is a conspiracy against female bodybuilding. Make everything too rare and expensive and nobody will be interested. More $$ from fitness for the mighty IFBB :p
Just having a rant. Of course, I don't believe such a conspiracy is in place. I was just having a dig at the IFBB's stand on female bodybuilding. Just look at their pathetic display with the presentation of recent Miss O events. It really looks like they are just too money hungry with their precious figure beauty pagents!! Sheesh.
...and people ask me why I have no desire to compete in bodybuilding :rolleyes:

Disclaimer - I have no problem with fitness and figure competitions and the awesome work the women put into their training and nutrition. I just wish the powers that be and the promoters in the IFBB would pull their ****ing heads in!!

Titania
07-15-2006, 08:42 AM
Oh...I think Yaxeni is one of the best Miss O's to date. She has absolutely wonderful symmetry and just oozes 'woman' on stage. She is sexy and muscular and has been one of my favourite bodybuilders for a long time. She reminds me a lot of the femininity Cory displayed and Lenda in her early Miss O years.
While I respect the work Kim and Iris put in, to me they did not have the same feminine appeal as Yaxeni, Lenda, Cory and Rachel.

I think it is a crying shame that the IFBB have been so damn disrespectful of the women in recent years.

SwellGirl
07-15-2006, 07:27 PM
I teach college writing and showed "Pumping Iron II: The Women" to my honors students during a "subcultures" unit in the spring. It was a huge eye opener to all of them. At first many balked at the muscularity of the women but as they began to debate the controversy surrounding that watershed competition--should the goal of women's BB be to build as much muscle as possible, as men BBs do, or should women adhere to the subjective standards of "femininity"--they understood the discrimination involved in such a double standard and got pretty outraged at the outcome of the competition (I won't give away the ending for those who haven't seen it). It was a cool class. There's one gratuitous shower scene but all and all the film is respectful of its subjects.

wide lats
07-16-2006, 04:53 AM
I teach college writing and showed "Pumping Iron II: The Women" to my honors students during a "subcultures" unit in the spring. It was a huge eye opener to all of them. At first many balked at the muscularity of the women but as they began to debate the controversy surrounding that watershed competition--should the goal of women's BB be to build as much muscle as possible, as men BBs do, or should women adhere to the subjective standards of "femininity"--they understood the discrimination involved in such a double standard and got pretty outraged at the outcome of the competition (I won't give away the ending for those who haven't seen it). It was a cool class. There's one gratuitous shower scene but all and all the film is respectful of its subjects.

would you show super size she to the class?

Its a subculture alright.

Titania
07-16-2006, 09:55 AM
That's awesome SwellGirl :)

Wide Lats,
If you could get me a copy of Supersize She, I'll email you my strength feats clips :)
I have searched everywhere for it and even asked Joanna Thomas and Debbie Bramwell if they knew where I could get a copy.
Joanna told me the name of the producers so I emailed them and they said they only sell copies to licensed broadcasters :(

wide lats
07-17-2006, 03:22 AM
That's awesome SwellGirl :)

Wide Lats,
If you could get me a copy of Supersize She, I'll email you my strength feats clips :)
I have searched everywhere for it and even asked Joanna Thomas and Debbie Bramwell if they knew where I could get a copy.
Joanna told me the name of the producers so I emailed them and they said they only sell copies to licensed broadcasters :(

You can have the tape its VHS and i found out hes taped it off the T.V. i cant get this copied to DVD from anywhere because of copyright things, but if you send me a address to send it i will send it free. Cant convert it to Aussie format either coz of copyrights.

Let me know and we sort something out about it. ;)

strictlyred
07-17-2006, 07:43 AM
got mine thru ebay..$17.00

strictlyred
07-17-2006, 07:47 AM
Oh I loved super sized she..taped it..Joanna corresponded with me for a bit of time answering my stupid questions etc,,she is a class act!

wide lats
07-18-2006, 02:21 AM
got mine thru ebay..$17.00

Maybe better to try E bay titania, as i watched it last night its not that good quality TBH.

Titania
07-18-2006, 03:08 AM
Maybe better to try E bay titania, as i watched it last night its not that good quality TBH.
OK. Thanks anyway :)

Oh I loved super sized she..taped it..Joanna corresponded with me for a bit of time answering my stupid questions etc,,she is a class act!
Joanna is a great girl who I have a lot of respect for. That is one of the reasons I am so keen to see SuperSize She :)
Thanks for your assistance too ;)

imperfectly_lou
07-18-2006, 02:01 PM
Titania - I have Pumping Iron 2 on VHS and even though its quite bad quality, I could mail it to you for you to watch if you want?

wide lats
07-19-2006, 04:57 AM
Titania - I have Pumping Iron 2 on VHS and even though its quite bad quality, I could mail it to you for you to watch if you want?
hows bout uploading it to youtube the full film? pumping iron 1 is on there. then whoever is interested can click and watch instead of 99 dollars a go.

Titania
07-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Thanks for the offer Lou. At least it will be Aussie (PAL) format ;)
Would you believe that I have two high end VCR's in my studio and I am a qualified electronics tech and BOTH of them are broken?!!!!!
I hope it is warmer in Sydney than it is in Melbourne at the moment!

Titania
07-19-2006, 09:27 AM
hows bout uploading it to youtube the full film? pumping iron 1 is on there. then whoever is interested can click and watch instead of 99 dollars a go.
YouTube only allows 10 minute clips. This would be a major violation of copyright laws too. Something most people seem to have conveniently forgotten!!
Somebody put my subscribers only clip of me doing my car flip on YouTube. I guess they didn't expect me to take legal action!!! Needless to say, they removed it quickly at my request before it got to that stage. :)

imperfectly_lou
07-19-2006, 04:51 PM
No probs hon :) If you want me to send it, just PM me your address and I'll pop it in the mail.

Its freezing in Sydney... very Melbourne-ish weather atm!

wide lats
07-20-2006, 03:09 AM
YouTube only allows 10 minute clips. This would be a major violation of copyright laws too. Something most people seem to have conveniently forgotten!!
Somebody put my subscribers only clip of me doing my car flip on YouTube. I guess they didn't expect me to take legal action!!! Needless to say, they removed it quickly at my request before it got to that stage. :)

Thats news to me, PI 1 is still going strong, i think they look the other way if something is very popular uploaded there is moderators there on youtube they would of banned it by now.

i doubt you will get super size she on DVD as its only sold to T.V. companies ( i think - not sure), being a natural pirate i would still copy it you to DVD as i am getting a very good copy on VHS next week off a woman at gym. I dont know if it will get through your customs though or the laws to do with importing DVDs off the T.V., i will TRY get it uploaded off someone to a streaming file and mail it you instead first, so if you get SSS in the mail sometime you know it was me :D.