PDA

View Full Version : Best exercises for Home workout?

Angel Rising
07-11-2006, 12:56 AM
HI, I workout from home since I currently can't afford a gym membership. (Damn i miss the leg Press).

Anyway, i was wondering who of you out there works out from home to develop muscle gains...which i need...and what does your workout look like in terms of exercises, reps weight etc.

I have just started an upper/lower body split on a 3 x per week rotation.

Any tips???

Thanks

user464444132bbg
07-11-2006, 10:18 AM
I have never set foot in a gym, I do all my workouts at home and I workout to Cathe Friedrich videos - www.cathe.com

I have gained a tremendous amount of muscle using her workouts. I now have a weight room all my own with a workout bench and a power tower (3 weeks old) but before that I used the full size step platform with 8 risers to make a bench out of it.

I work one or two body parts a day and then do at least 3 days of cardio. Right now this is my routine:

Sunday: Chest, Abs, Cardio
Monday: Biceps, cardio
Tuesday: Triceps, abs, cardio
Wednesday: Legs
Thursday: Shoulders, abs, cardio
Friday: Rest
Saturday: Back, cardio

other times I'll do this:

Sunday: Chest & Bi's & abs
Monday: Cardio
Tuesday: Back & Tris & abs
Wednesday: Cardio
Thursday: Rest
Friday: Legs & Shoulders
Saturday: Cardio

Check out my picturetrail in my signature line.

Eileen
07-12-2006, 08:08 AM
You can do great workouts at home. I'm a member of my local gym, but I've also got a gym in my spare room, which I use just as much. Better, I've got my own music and no waiting for the station I want.

Some sort of bench and adjustable free weights will do for almost everything you need. I've also got a ball which I use for core work (but nothing else, it's not stable enough for heavy lifting) and a workman's tool box which I use to hold small weights and collars, and as a step.

I don't have a power rack, so I don't go very heavy on barbell squats at home. Instead I do front squats or dumbell squats, where it's easy to drop the weight if it gets too hard.

For a home version of leg press: fill a strong backpack with weights (or books) and hold onto something solid like a door frame or garden fence, then do squats.

darkangel
07-12-2006, 09:47 AM
Another vote for Cathe's workouts. http://www.cathe.com They're what got me started doing serious weight training. But you have to have equipment for them to be effective and you don't mention having anything. You'll at least need a few sets of dumbbells, a barbell and plates and weight bench or step. Some of her workouts require a high step, too. I'm a fan of Power Blocks to cut down on clutter. http://www.powerblock.com/

If you don't have any equipment, you can do push ups, tricep dips and pull ups if you have a sturdy bar mounted somewhere.

shelia71
07-12-2006, 05:24 PM
Another vote for cathe.But I also like p90x by beachbody.com.It is a great workout regimen which lets you decide on the reps you want to do.
I did join a gym this week to get heavy leg workout 100lbs is all I can lift on to my shoulders but upper body is done at home with db ranging from 3-45lbs and adjustables(you can get these at walmart cheap)60lbs and 3 barbells pre weighted at different wts .I also have a bowflex,tmill,and spinbike along with a step and alot of exercise dvd's.
Of course all you really need is a good assortment of wts a bench and the will.

As far as workout rotation I started the hst program(full body) that I read about on this website I still use my cathe-p90x I just adjust them to my rep range.I am really enjoying it and upping my wt already.
monday-wed-fri-(go to the gym to do legs than back home to do upper body)
fullbody 2-3sets per bodypart
1workout 8-10 rep
2workout 3-6 rep
tuesday-plyo workout 35 min
thurs-20 min hitt
sat-off
sun- run 20 min hills included

Angel Rising
07-16-2006, 06:22 PM
Hey, thanks everyone. i should've mentioned that i have a benchpress and bar, plus a swiss ball and dumbbells.

I like to do upper/ lower split because i need to build lean muscle.
I like to go heavy on weights so thanks Eileen that's a good idea for the leg press alternative. i will definately try that one.

I love my lunges and found a site that shows doing them with a barbell but holding it between your legs with arms hanging low. So much better for the shoulders and since you don't have to hoist it up you can go really heavy.

My problem is mainly with back exercises. I do barbell and db rows (1 arm also) and although i need to really learn great form...some days i have it some days I don't - I was hoping for some variations. I am no good at pullovers either.

Anyway thanks for your help

HighVelocity
07-17-2006, 04:13 PM
Hey Angel Rising!!

I workout exclusively from home and have for at least 8 years :D!!

Back exercises?
PULLUPS!!!!
bar rows
bar rows with underhand grip (I believe they are called pendelay rows)
if you take a strong towel or rope and place it under 1 end of a BB with weights on the other, you can mimick a t-bar row
1 arm DB rows hammer hold
1 are DB rows w/ wide elbow (so DB is perpendicular to your body)
Incline DB rows
prone DB rows
any and all above rows using a reverse grip
any and all of the above can be done w/ 1 DB or 2
good mornings
deadlifts
hyper-extensions off SB
hyper-extensions off bench
reverse hyper-extensions off SB
reverse heyper-extensions off bench

Can't think of anything else right now, I'm sure there are more though if you need more ideas let me know ;)!!

TLinder
07-21-2006, 04:25 PM
I agree with Cathe's workout. She takes all the guess work out of it. She is on fit tv so if you have that channel it is free no videos to buy.