PDA

View Full Version : Underweight?

big_mama
07-10-2006, 08:56 PM
Hello. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. My bestfirend has always been thin, shes about 5'2", but a few weeks ago, she told me she was 96 lbs. I was a little worried about this, but she said it was alright, and not to worry about it. Tonight, she just told me that shes 93 lbs, but still says not to worry. Its really hard not to worry about this. I'm sure she thinks I'm paranoid about it, and maybe I am..it just doesn't sound healthy to me. She says she'll get help if she gets into the 80's, but i just think thats too low, especially because she is not active. Am I right in being concerned?

Amelia
07-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Hello. Please forgive me if I'm in the wrong place. My bestfirend has always been thin, shes about 5'2", but a few weeks ago, she told me she was 96 lbs. I was a little worried about this, but she said it was alright, and not to worry about it. Tonight, she just told me that shes 93 lbs, but still says not to worry. Its really hard not to worry about this. I'm sure she thinks I'm paranoid about it, and maybe I am..it just doesn't sound healthy to me. She says she'll get help if she gets into the 80's, but i just think thats too low, especially because she is not active. Am I right in being concerned?

You have every right to be concerned. I am 5"2" and anything below 100 I believe is considered underweight. I checked her BMI (body mass index) using this site http://www.cdc.gov/nccdphp/dnpa/bmi/adult_BMI/english_bmi_calculator/bmi_calculator.htm and according to that, your friend is underweight.

Two possibilities: she has an undiagnosed illness which is causing her to lose weight or she has an eating disorder. My youngest sister had an eating disorder and was down to 85lbs (and she's my height). It took a family intervention to get her to see the light and she got into therapy and recovery. Speaking from experience, my sister was very touchy about admitting anything so you need to be firm but gentle and insist she get help now.

darkangel
07-11-2006, 08:04 AM
Is she trying to lose weight? You didn't say it outright, but it was somewhat implied. If so, she's definitely got a problem. If not, she may naturally be a petite, small-boned ectomorph for whom a weight in the mid-90s is normal, albeit certainly below what's considered "average."