PDA

View Full Version : HIIT questions

ahammer
07-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Hi, this is my first time on the board and was wondering if some of you could help me out?
I'm a 25 year old female. I just went to a personal trainer today to talk about my fitness goals and figure out a plan. I want to lose weight but I am also training for a marathon. The trainer recommended High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) to me. I have never tried this before and I was wondering if it would actually work to help me lose weight as well as help me train for the marathon. I need to do one long run once a week and it seems like with interval training I wouldn't be getting the milage I need to train...but I could be wrong.
Also I was wondering how HIIT works. My trainer said that I would be doing intervals of 30 seconds of running really hard, and then getting my heartrate back down low....my question is how long should I do these intervals and how many?
Sorry if my post is confusing, but I really don't know a lot about HIIT. I would appreciate any feedback. Thanks.

incrediblepimp
07-10-2006, 12:28 AM
my wife and I have been doing H.I.I.T training for the last 3 months on the treadmill. It's kinda rough in the begining, expecially if your not use to sprinting. We usually train for 20 min everyday, and weight train 3 days a week. Even though I've done it before, 30 min seems to be overkill when doing this type of workout. You'll know if you've done it right when you feel like you wanna pass out. :)

noone12456598
07-12-2006, 05:06 AM
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=840557

Your answer is here

WillDeadliftForFood
07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
Mix it up. Do some higher speed running on Monday, HIIT on Wednesday, and a long endurance run on Friday.

I'm not sure if this is how to train for a marathon (not my field), but this is how we train in the Army.

Just because you want to do HIIT doesn't mean you should do it every workout. That much sprinting can be taxing.

CardioFlava
07-13-2006, 08:21 PM
When I was in the military preparing for our annual "run", I used HIIT (without realizing that that was what it was). It helped with endurance GREATLY.