PDA

View Full Version : NooB- how do you ladies put on upper/outer thigh muscle?

Strivin2Bfit
07-09-2006, 06:09 AM
Hey everyone,

I was just wondering if any of you had struggled in the past to put on muscle weight on the upper outer thigh area? It seems like all these lunges/squats I'm doing are putting on muscle on the inside and top of my thighs thighs. Is there a better way to hit this other problem spot?

Thanks in advance!
-Strivin2Bfit

mykidsmom
07-09-2006, 07:20 AM
I asked my trainer this yesterday and he told me that hack squats and power squats worked those areas. I hate them both, but I guess I'll be doing more of them.

sixzebra
07-09-2006, 09:59 AM
hack squats, all the way down.

dapper
07-09-2006, 10:22 AM
Ladies I will give you 3 exercises to try.

Narrow stance squats - less than shoulder width I would say 6-8 inches apart

Narrow stance Leg Press - When I do these my feet are no farther than 6 inches apart. Keep your feet low very low on the platform as well.

Front Squats - With these I would still go no wider than shoulder width stance probably a little narrower.

These are much tougher and if you try them and like them you can order Sting Rays sold on this site I am sure others. They are a pad you put on the bb and then pretty much position your shoulders on the pads. This makes it much easier to do without getting huge unsitely bruises.

Hack Squats are good but they will also hit the hammies and glutes and I don't think they target the outer quad as much as the ones I listed.

Front Squats are fun and I never see anyone at my gym doing them. No way you can use as much weight as you can on a regular squat.

Rowdy3090
07-10-2006, 03:27 AM
You should understand that their is no muscle that runs down the outside of your leg per se. The muscle that is responceable for giving you "outer width" is called the vastus lateralis and this is the muscle that needs to be worked. Sorry if you knew this, but you would be amazed how many people think they have a muscle on the outside edge of their femur.

Dapper is exactly right with the exercises that need to be performed, narrow stance is the key. The only thing I could add is to point your feet straight ahead instead of slightly outward, as this will recruit more of the quads and less of the adductors (inner thigh).

On another note, hack squats are a terrible exercise on your knees because they don't allow you to lower and raise the weight in a biomechanicly correct manner. The centerline of the weight is to far back and puts undue pressure and leverage on your knees.

Hope I helped.

30-A rider
07-10-2006, 01:45 PM
Im right on with Dapper. I like the close stance squats, and close stance smith squats with legs out in front.

Hacks hit the lower half of the legs very well and I would suggest doing thses as well, cause women with a nice develpoed teardrop on the lower leg is very pleasing aesthetically.

elektra513
07-10-2006, 05:57 PM
...what a/b directional lunges? Can these work that area, also? (by this I mean lunging forward, then diagonal, then out to the side, then backwards, one leg at a time)

Strivin2Bfit
07-10-2006, 07:16 PM
Hey Thanks for your replies, everyone. I tried some narrow stance squats this morning and I could really feel them hittin on where I wanted, including the glutes. That brings me to another question, to hit the glutes, what is the best thing to do? I have been doing reps where I get on my back on the floor and plant my heels and bring the hips up - and it seems to be working. Also, side raises(on all fours), but I'm guessing I need more resistance maybe to get any true results?

Btw, are there any inline skaters here? This looks like a good sport for getting the thighs shapely.

Anyway, thanks!