PDA

View Full Version : Need some help...

Stringer72473
07-08-2006, 08:32 PM
I need some advice for my girlfriend who is trying to maintain some muscle mass while loosing fat. I know what works for me but I imagine women have different requirements. She's about 145lbs 5'6" but has a lot of muscle mass. The only real fat deposits are on her rear, thighs and lower abdominals.
Even then she doesn't have much, I'd estimate her bodyfat to be around 10% maybe 12%. Understand this is a woman who obsesses about her appearance and hates this little bit of extra, she wants to be lean and tight.
My question is what can she do workout wise to target these areas (I know there is no such thing as target training but still). Right now she does 20-30 min of cardio at least 3 times a week and circuit training the whole body for 2-5 sets keeping the reps around 10-15 2-3 times a week. I understand that her diet is 80% of any changes but what can she do to maximize her workout time to get lean?

K-Mass
07-11-2006, 07:25 PM
I am basically in the same boat as your girlfriend. I am 35-- 36 in 2 months and have 2 kids-- 7 and 3 years old. I am 6'0 and 153 lbs.I have weight trained (med. to high int.)3-4x a week for 10 years. 20-30 min. of cardio 3-4x a week. Most people think I have a great body-- but I have the same prob areas as your girlfriend. My diet is reasonable-- not great. I suspect I need more cardio. Any suggestions?

Miranda
07-12-2006, 07:21 AM
My diet is reasonable-- not great. I suspect I need more cardio.

hmmm . . .yes.

i'm gonna get super skinny eating cream puffs and spending 3 hours on a treadmill every day!!

just make sure they're 100% real cream puffs!
and ice cream! where's my ice cream? diet soda! french fries! candy bars!

:no icon:

ironman1964bc
07-12-2006, 08:11 AM
Well, she is not using the aerobics or weightlifting to her advantage. 20-30 min of aerobics will burn little fat because it will take that long to burn up her glycogen reserves. Even if she did up the aerobics to 1 hour a day, it still wouldn't cure her problem because aerobics tend to make you a smaller version of your former self. In other words, she might get down to 125lbs, but she would still have the same trouble spots when she looks in the mirror. On top of that, her chances of gaining the weight back would be high.

In regards to her lifting, she is trying to turn that into an aerobic workout too with her light weight/circuit training nonsense. I have nothing against circuit training, as long as the weights are kept heavy, but lifting light weights will accomplish nothing. I always like to use the leg press as an example.....most women will pile 50-100lbs on the leg press and do a ton of reps. Well, they are better off going for a walk if they want a leg workout because most of these girls weigh 120-135lb, so their legs would get more work carrying that weight walking instead of leg pressing 50lbs.

What I would have her do is start lifting heavier in the 4-6 range. I don't mean picking a weight that she can do 4-6 reps easily. I mean picking a weight where getting the 7th rep would be close to impossible. Also, once in awhile throw in a weight she can only do 2-3 times. If she still wants to do a couple higher rep sets in the 12-15 range, then she can do them at the end of her workout.

For running, I would drop all aerobics and have her start doing sprints or running hills. If she gives you a hard time, have her try to find a female sprinter who doesn't have a great body and have her get back to you.

The hard part will be the diet. I am also an easy gainer and I have lost weight every way imaginable in my 30 years of working out (running, biking, x-ctry skiing, etc) but none of them really got me lean. I lost 70lbs biking one summer and got down to 178lbs but I looked awful and my bench went from 425lb to 240lb, despite the fact I kept lifting. Despite having a 31 inch waist at 178lbs, I still had the same bodyfat% than when I weighed 240lbs 6 months before that. Basically, I had burned most of my muscle for fuel on my daily 40 mile rides.

The only thing that worked to get me lean and also muscular is a very low carb diet combined with sprints. I now weigh 205lbs and can bench over 400lbs and squat 600lbs again, now that I have sworn off endurance aerobics. Juliette Bergmann is a female bodybuilder who eats this way, so have your girl check out her site for advice.

Don't pay attention to anything the fitness girls do, because they are extreme cases. I dated one a while back and she was super intense with her sometimes 4 hour daily workouts on a 1200 calorie/day diet. She was also a natural, in other words, her abs had a 6 pack even when she wasn't training and eating junk. 3 days after she had her 3rd kid, you could see her ripped abs and at the time she was eating everything under the sun. She told me she never worked out her abs either. Oddly enough, Juliette Bergmann doesn't either. Anyway, these fitness girls are way too extreme for the average women to copy.

I think if she can get her diet straightened up and lifting heavier weights, your girl will make some progress. good luck