PDA

View Full Version : Recently moved up to 1400-1600cals/day...

BlueLion105
07-07-2006, 08:11 PM
I took advice from some of you about a week and a half ago about moving up my calories to get my body out of starvation mode. I was/am nervous about it, so I wanted to show you where I was and see what you thought.

Right now, I feel as thought I have eaten an entire cow and feel huge from eating so much! But I hope this feeling is just my body adjusting.

Here is my story....

5’-8”, 127.5 lbs, 27% bf while eating 1200 cals/day, which I now know is too low. This past week and a half, I’ve increased to 1400-1600 cals/day with 40%carb, 40%pro, 20%fat.

Day 1: Chest/Tri/Abs, 30 min low intensity cardio
Day 2: 10 intervals of 1 minute high, 1 minute low HIIT on the bike or elliptical, followed by 30 min low cardio on the treadmill
Day 3: Back/Bi/Shlds/Abs, 30 min low intensity cardio
Day 4: Repeat Day 2 HIIT
Day 5: Legs/Abs, 30 min low intensity cardio
Day 6: Repeat Day 2 HIIT
Day 7: Rest!

Diet for a HIIT day:
1: 2 cups coffee, 1 diet fuel, 1 amino acid

2: HIIT

3: 20g protein from low carb whey
cup fat free yogurt
1 small fruit cup, pears or apples, for a total of 30g high glycemic carbs

4: 3 oz turkey, 98% fat free
3 egg whites
1 large apple

5: 1 cup 2% cottage cheese
3 oz turkey
1 slice whole wheat bread

6: small can lite tuna in spring water
1 tbsp lite mayo
1 low carb multi grain tortilla (81 calories)
small garden salad

7: oz almonds
1 large apple

Diet for a lifting day:
Same as the HIIT day, except I add 5g protein from low carb whey mixed with cup fat free yogurt, pkt instant oatmeal

I eat clean and when I work out, I lift hard and slow. My intervals while doing HIIT leave me exhausted and I love it.

After the first week of increasing my calories between 1400-1600, I lost 1 pound and my body fat had a slight decrease, though I am still getting use to using the caliper. (27% down to 25%, but I don’t know if this was realistic.)

My goal is to get my body fat down to where I can see my abs. I carry most of my weight in my stomach. I want to lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Is this an unrealistic goal for where I am now physically?

Any comments on diet and workout are needed!
The pictures don't do my stomach fat justice! Trust me, You don't want to see me bend over or sit down... that's when it all comes out! Yuk! Yuk!
Thanks.

twinnett
07-07-2006, 08:24 PM
Well I think you look great! I'll let some others with more expertise give you advice, but it seems to me like an awful lot of cardio and not very many complex carbs or good fats. I'm sure you'll get some good advice! Good luck! I'll tell you, though, since upping my calories and fat and adding more complex carbs, I have lost weight and bodyfat (too much actually!) I know it's scary, but if you do it slowly, it really does work!

emunah
07-07-2006, 09:34 PM
Well first you should never do HIIT fasted. Slower cardio fasted is ok, but never do high intensity cardio fasted.

Ratios are meaningless; what are the total grams of what you are eating?

Just looking, your meals are unbalanced. Your meal 5 has a lot of protein, but your last meal doesn't have any. You have yummy fruits but not a lot of complex carbs other than bread. Oats are great.

I wouldn't be doing your split as I don't think they're the best. working a muscle only once a week is pretty low frequency.

I agree that you're doing an awful lot of cardio. If you're trying to correct your metabolism the last thing you need is so much cardio. Plus, three sessions of HIIT is a lot. I wouldn't do more than two a week.

BlueLion105
07-08-2006, 05:48 AM
Thanks Twinnett! But like I said, you do not want to see me sitting down! That's my trouble area. I have been skinny where to the point where my stomach wasn't an issue, but all I did was run 5-6 miles a day, had NO muscle, and felt like a skeleton. I can now lift quite a bit and want to continue to add muscle, but need to drop my bf that I have gained once I stopped running so much.

24 grams Fat
113 grams Carbs
108 grams Protein

This is what I shoot for. I can add in some turkey, tuna, or cottage cheese for the last meal. And I love oatmeal, instant and slow cooked, so I can add some in breakfast or mid morning meal.

Eating more, doing less cardio. I feel as though my world is upside down, but I'm determined to become cut.

Eat mix of soy protein and oats before HIIT.

Is it normal to gain some fat until my metabolism kicks in? I think I may have put on a few pounds, going to measure tomorrow, hoping it's just some water weight.

emunah, work each body part twice a week? How's this:
Day 1: Chest/Tri/Abs
Day 2: 20 min HIIT, 30 min low cardio
Day 3: Legs/Back/Bi/Shlds/Abs
Day 4: 20 min HIIT
Day 5: Chest/Tri/Back/Bi/Abs
Day 6: Legs/Shlds/Abs
Day 7: Rest! (maybe take a walk outdoors or go swimming for fun)

emunah
07-08-2006, 10:17 AM
Personally, I'd put chest and back together in one day and do that twice a week, and then legs twice a week emphasizing quads one day and hams the other. I'd also hesistate sandwhiching HIIT with your leg workouts..that's three days of intensive leg workouts in a row. You could do:

Day 1: upper + HIIT
Day 2: legs
Day 3: SS cardio
Day 4: upper but different sets/reps/exercises, possible HIIT
Day 5: lower but different sets/reps/exercises
Day 6: longer SS cardio or some flexibility training
Day 7: off

The split is only one part...more importantly is the exercises you chose and your sets/reps.

You want more protein: 1-1.5 gram/lb body weight. Fat around .4 gram/lb body weight. The rest can be healthy carbs.

BlueLion105
07-08-2006, 02:55 PM
Thanks emunah,
I got .4g fat, 1-15.g protein per pound of body weight today and ended up with:
48g fat
141.5g protein
144.5g carbs
1610 calories! Wow~ Two weeks ago, I'd never thought those words would come out of my mouth!

And I was hoping to stay more around 1400 calories on my non-lifting days, but today I am going to do a full upper body workout. Tomorrow, I am going to make a plan to use something more like your suggestion in workout routines. I have been doing it "my way" for a very long time, with little gains in muscle.

SS Cardio? I thought I was up on the lingo, ... did a search and nothing came up... could you fill me in on this? SS = Super Slow?? :) I really don't know. Thanks again!

emunah
07-09-2006, 10:58 AM
On nonlifting days some people decrease their carbs. You can do that if you want.

SS = steady state cardio.