PDA

View Full Version : Real Egg Whites Vs Egg Beaters

MauiZos
07-07-2006, 07:49 PM
So I found myself standing in the refridgerator aisle of the grocery store yesterday contemplating the label on a jug of egg whites vs a carton of real eggs. Eating 5 or 6 whites a day and chucking out the yolks seems like a bit of a waste, and it means I go through a TON of eggs. I feel as if the egg white liquid just wouldn't be as good though (for some unknown reason). I try to eat everything as close to its natural state as possible, so I'm generally suspicious of things with a colorful label :-p

As far as I could tell, there aren't any additives to the egg white liquid, but its been pasteurized for shelf life. Does this change the nutritional content? Any opinions on this? Some of the brands also have Omega 3's added in and I don't know what to think of that either.

Natural vs. Convenient... an ongoing debate...

emunah
07-07-2006, 09:36 PM
I like it better. It also has added vitamins that the 'real' whites don't have.

Simpy
07-09-2006, 11:10 AM
I only eat the real eggs. The substitute stuff tastes "off" to me. I just can't make myself like it at all. I give the yolks to a neighborhood dog.

EmAzing
07-09-2006, 11:18 AM
I stick with real egg whites, but if I do the Eggbeaters in the carton I only get the 100% egg whites. The other eggbeaters seems to mess with my digestive system. Plus I think it's more cost effective to just get real egg whites.

waterbear
07-11-2006, 02:21 PM
I get a box of egg whites in cartons @ Costco and I love them.(cheap too) Every morning I do and omlette w/ whatever I feel like putting in it. Onions, tomatoes, chicken, salsa, salsa, mushroms.....salsa. I don't think I could eat plain egg whites alone, but I can never tell the difference between the two tastes and I don't have to deal w/ the sulfer egg smell on my hands and in my sink from seperating the eggs. Yea, they're not 100% natural. I think the box says 99% and that's close enough for me. My fruits and veggies are not organic either and I'm sure there's tons of fun stuff in those so I try not to stress too much about the small stuff. My bigger problem is finishing that last rep @ the gym when I'm just not feeling it and chugging through cardio. :-)

pltwife
07-11-2006, 02:33 PM
I find that just buying the eggs is much cheaper. I throw the yolks out or scramble them for my dogs

Chunk Tiger
07-11-2006, 02:37 PM
I prefer egg beaters because it is easier and worth the extra price for me.