PDA

View Full Version : reaching out for support

beyond failure
07-07-2006, 03:52 AM
so...I am nothing short of very depressed...here are the facts...I started my new program with my new trainer...the first objective was to gain some weight...and not just muscle mass too...I mean...my body fat was a little too low and I had no ass/boobs...I just looked deflated...anyway...I new this going in...well...it worked...I followed the diet to the letter for a week and put on approximately 4 lbs (now at around 114...and increased my bf% to around 15...I have to admit I do look a little more "normal" now and not so much like a string bean with descent biceps...but I can not seem to get past the depression of my pants not fitting...of the number on the scale being higher...these are things I thought I was prepared for....I had to cut my calories again...I still want to build muscle mass so...based on the info from terra's site...found my approx. maintenance and added 300 to build....sigh...part of me can't help but have that thought...if this is bumming me out so much why am I intentionally still trying to gert bigger?!...I know the difference between fat and muscle gain...I know this is irrational...I feel like I just need reassurance here...and maybe confirmation that my numbers are right...and I'm not sure if I accounted for my "activity level" correctly...I weight train (heavy) 4/5 days a week...moderate cardio 3 times a week...I'm 5'3" and 27 years old......and am hardly ever sitting on my ass...very busy at work/home....I put "very active"...am I giving myself too much credit?...what number do you come up with?...AAAGH!...sorry about the complaining...I guess it's just the stress...thanks for listening...

Sodom
07-07-2006, 04:05 AM
Are you drunk at 10.52am?

In all seriousness though - I would like to post some encouragement or advice or something but I just can't make sense of your post other than you want to put on weight. :(

beyond failure
07-07-2006, 04:12 AM
um no...I am by no means intoxicated...I guess I am just frustrated with the fact that though I do still want to gain muscle mass...I am obviously easily upset by putting on size...I am simply looking for reassurance that I am right in my calculations in terms of calories and am in fact on the right track...sorry if I was scattered in my delivery of this info...my son had me up at 2 am this morning...

amber_stone
07-07-2006, 04:36 AM
Hey! Not much I can tell you - I have the opposite problem - I need to lose weight, not gain!:)
With the calories though, unfortunately all they really are, are a guide. Try it, see how you go then adjust it up or down.
I'm trying not to sound like an insensitive idiot here, or stick my foot in my mouth but maybe you just need to buy a bigger pair of pants - throw out your current ones, and concentrate on fiting in the new ones. There is nothing worse than wearing too tight pants everywhere - you'll just make yourself feel worse, Anyway, everthing is worse at night time (especially if the kids have just woken you up), so I hope things are better in the morning for you :)

Suzy.

Sodom
07-07-2006, 04:37 AM
um no...I am by no means intoxicated...I guess I am just frustrated with the fact that though I do still want to gain muscle mass...I am obviously easily upset by putting on size...I am simply looking for reassurance that I am right in my calculations in terms of calories and am in fact on the right track...sorry if I was scattered in my delivery of this info...my son had me up at 2 am this morning...

Don't apologise at all - nothing to be sorry for.

You will know that it is very hard to gain lean muscle, right? You pretty much have to expect to gain some bf%.

Have you split your diet into % of calories required from proteins, carbs, fats, etc? If not you may be consuming the right amount of calories but the wrong kinds of calories if you understand what I'm saying. It's not just about adding 300 more calories.. You need the right kind of split..

It also sounds to me like you have a slight mental issue/barrier here whereby you recognise the need to gain weight/muscle but somehow don't like the look of yourself when you do.. would I be right in thinking that or have I just mis-read your post?

beyond failure
07-07-2006, 04:50 AM
no...you are correct...I guess that I didn't THINK I had these issues until now...as far as my diet...it's 40/40/20 and VERY clean...that's one thing I feel really good about is my control in terms of what i put into my body...do you think I am correct in terms of what I put for my activity level?....(ie very active)...I'm sorry to bog you down with this...and in response to the post before this one...I am wearing bigger pants...and they do feel better thanks....

twinnett
07-07-2006, 08:05 AM
I can completely understand where you are coming from, b/c I'm at the same place! I'm 5'7 and, as of this morning, 111.2. I KNOW that I need to gain weight, but it's so scary to feel yourself getting bigger and to see the number creeping up. I have decided that I just can't weigh myself, b/c it's defeating my efforts. On my honeymoon, I LOST weight and was at 107 when I got back. In the past 2 weeks, I've gained 4 pounds, and I'm so scared at how fast it can come back on. We can do this together though! I think you're right in being very active. From everything I have heard, the initial weight gain is a little fast b/c our bodies aren't used to the higher calories. The key is to increase them a little bit at a time and the weight gain will slow down. What have you settled on calorie wise?

beyond failure
07-07-2006, 09:45 AM
thank you so so much twinnett...sigh...really...I needed to hear that someone can relate...I decided to use terra's site and based on the calorie needs thing...and assuming I am in fact "very active"...I need about 2540 or so to continue to gain mass SLOOOOOOOOOOOWLY...so that's where i'm at now...my only concern is whether or not I am considered "very" or "moderately" active...I lift heavy for an hour+ at least 5 days a week...cardio 3 times a week and stay very busy oitherwise throughout the day in terms of housework...playing with my son....so...do you think that counts?I just got home from the gym (also where I work)...today was arm day and I do feel alot better...again...thanks...and yes...we will do this together!

beyond failure
07-07-2006, 09:45 AM
thank you so so much twinnett...sigh...really...I needed to hear that someone can relate...I decided to use terra's site and based on the calorie needs thing...and assuming I am in fact "very active"...I need about 2540 or so to continue to gain mass SLOOOOOOOOOOOWLY...so that's where i'm at now...my only concern is whether or not I am considered "very" or "moderately" active...I lift heavy for an hour+ at least 5 days a week...cardio 3 times a week and stay very busy oitherwise throughout the day in terms of housework...playing with my son....so...do you think that counts?I just got home from the gym (also where I work)...today was arm day and I do feel alot better...again...thanks...and yes...we will do this together!

darkangel
07-07-2006, 11:05 AM
Sounds like you've got some body image issues that may lead to body dysmorphia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/conditions/bodydysmorphia1.shtml

You know you need to gain weight to be healthier, yet a larger number on the scale and/or having to buy larger clothes upsets you. A therapist trained to deal with these types of issues might be a big help.

...my only concern is whether or not I am considered "very" or "moderately" active...I lift heavy for an hour+ at least 5 days a week...cardio 3 times a week and stay very busy oitherwise throughout the day...

Lifting heavy for over an hour five days a week, cardio three days a week, plus other activities... that seems obviously very active, to me.

twinnett
07-07-2006, 11:46 AM
Yes, you would be considered very active.

beyond failure
07-07-2006, 12:37 PM
...I sincerely appreciate your concern...I was not asking because I personally do not consider myself to be very active (I most deffinately am) but because the context by which the activity level is based is not in terms of weight training...it only says "sports"...I was just confused...I do not dispute that I am still coming to terms with alot of my body image stuff but I would not consider it a disorder...but thank you for your concern...

Sodom
07-07-2006, 03:02 PM
Yeah you're very active for sure..

You'll be fine.. you've done the right thing by talking about it and bringing it out in the open :)

beyond failure
07-07-2006, 05:08 PM
...sorry I came across as a lush earlier...I do feel alot etter having gotten that off my chest...thanks...have a great weekend!

terracotta
07-07-2006, 08:08 PM
everyone is correct dear :)
Looks like things have been sorted out?

Sodom
07-08-2006, 02:23 AM
...sorry I came across as a lush earlier...I do feel alot etter having gotten that off my chest...thanks...have a great weekend!

Stop apologising :) it was probably me being too lazy and not reading your post thoroughly anyway :D

So what lovely treats are on todays food menu?.. :p

beyond failure
07-08-2006, 06:29 AM
...it's deffinately a comfort food day for me...big bowl of oatmeal and egg whites for breakfast...and a pb&j/protein shake combo for lunch...oh...and farina later on for sure.....off to play tennis...thanks again everyone...you are the best!

kierz
07-14-2006, 02:03 PM
hi very one im looking for advice im 24 and have always been in good shape untill i met my girlfriend and started eating junk , im working out alot now to get the purfect bod as we all are and went and got some hydroxycut , is it any good and is there any thing better , thanks kieran

twinnett
07-14-2006, 02:26 PM
In my opinion, fat burners are useless unless you're on a solid exercise program and a good, solid diet full of clean foods.