PDA

View Full Version : Diet or Exercise? That is the question...

samizmom
07-06-2006, 11:21 AM
So does anyone have the answer?

I am 35 years old and have been working out since I was 17. Have lapsed for a few years here and there, had a baby at age 28, and have put on and lost weight here and there. Right now I am 5'7", 140 lbs with the following measurements. 37-28-37.
However, my thighs are about 24 inches and giggly as hell.
I have cellulite on the front, side and backs of my thighs, and a tad on the lower butt. The skin on my thighs almost seem like itís loose, like some fat person who lost a ton of weight, however that isnít the case with me. I work out 3 to 4 times a week, either an hour of step aerobics, or a half hour of treadmill and 1/2 hour of bow flex or Pilates. NOTHING gets rid of the cellulite.
I watch what I eat for the most part, but ****, you gotta live a little and have the Rita's ice or toasted almond bar once in a while, and itís SUMMER after all! I donít eat like a body builder, because Iím not a body builder and I shouldnít have to eat like Arnold Schwarzenegger to get my thighs into shape. Itís not like Iím competing or anything. I just want to be firm in a bikini! Is that asking too much?I know so many people my age who do not have to work at keeping their thighs firm, and eat hot fudge sundaes when they feel like itÖso whatís the deal? Although I am at my "ideal" body weight according to all the charts. I am a size 8 in jeans (due to the big thighs) and would rather be a 6. I am forced to buy large jeans and shorts to accommodate my thighs, itís ridiculous! I can't seem to find the secret recipe needed to shed the giggly fat and reveal the muscles beneath it all. The more I do step aerobics or heavy leg presses, the bigger my legs get, and the higher the pant size rises. Doing JUST aerobics is not a good thing either, as it will eat away at muscle tissue over time and therefore lower the metabolism, not to mention, Iíll be a negative cup size soon if I keep doing so much aerobics. Without literally starving myself to death, I see no other way to target the thigh area and get the giggly fat firmed up. I don't want to lose any more boobs, so running or high impact cardio is only going to make my entire body smaller, which I don't necessarily want to do. Who has the answer to the lower body fat and cellulite dilemma? Anyone's advice would be much appreciated.
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, that when I do an hour of treadmill at 4.0 miles per hour, I am literally EXHAUSTED. And itís not getting the fat to stop giggling anyway, so why bother!!? Doing the bow flex or anaerobic workouts keep me more energized then aerobics does, and at least I know Iím building muscle and increasing metabolism, however, my thighs are still the same. My Step Reebok workout burns a lot of calories and gets me energized, but it's just not cutting the upper thigh fat.
Is it ALL about the diet? I'm beginning to think that diet is 70% and working out is only 30, because with the way I workout, I should look like a million bucks.

jimmyno2
07-06-2006, 11:41 AM
For the type of build you are wanting, diet/exercise is probably more like 80/20. You said you have had times(years) of not working out/dieting, how long have you been at it this time?

imperfectly_lou
07-06-2006, 12:02 PM
80/20 is the case for most people I'm afraid.... I've learnt that hard way I simply can't have a bite here, a bite there if I want to look a certain way! :(

Miranda
07-06-2006, 12:16 PM
I work out 3 to 4 times a week, either an hour of step aerobics, or a half hour of treadmill and 1/2 hour of bow flex or Pilates.

no weight lifting?

NOTHING gets rid of the cellulite.

strictly speaking, you're right, almost . . .

you gotta live a little and have the Rita's ice or toasted almond bar once in a while, and it’s SUMMER after all!

how much does this all add up? what does your diet look like?

I don’t eat like a body builder, because I’m not a body builder and I shouldn’t have to eat like Arnold Schwarzenegger to get my thighs into shape.

says who? i'm not a bodybuilder either but do eat like one (female one that is)

I know so many people my age who do not have to work at keeping their thighs firm, and eat hot fudge sundaes when they feel like it…so what’s the deal?

genetics, most likely. some people are 'lucky'. just grin and bear it. there's not much use stressing about what 'others' do.

I can't seem to find the secret recipe needed to shed the giggly fat and reveal the muscles beneath it all.

lift heavy and eat a good diet with lots of protein. i has been said so often there has to be some truth to it :p

Doing JUST aerobics is not a good thing either, as it will eat away at muscle tissue over time and therefore lower the metabolism

yup . . .

Who has the answer to the lower body fat and cellulite dilemma?

Miranda does :rolleyes: lift heavy and eat a good diet with lots of protein.
seriously, i had the exact same problem. after i
1. cleaned up my diet and started eating more protein and in general eating and
2. started lifting heavy weights with low reps i lost a good deal of thigh jiggle.

when I do an hour of treadmill at 4.0 miles per hour, I am literally EXHAUSTED. And it’s not getting the fat to stop giggling anyway, so why bother!!?

why indeed? :confused:

Is it ALL about the diet? I'm beginning to think that diet is 70% and working out is only 30%

yup . . .

because with the way I workout, I should look like a million bucks.

with some heavy weights and less cardio, yes :)

twinnett
07-06-2006, 12:44 PM
Great post Miranda! I had jiggly thighs and cellulite until i really cleaned up my diet and started lifting. It is mostly the diet though. You can have a cheat every once in awhile, but little things add up. What does your diet look like?

terracotta
07-06-2006, 01:48 PM
Miranda.. great post :D

golfGirl
07-06-2006, 02:11 PM
The first three things you need to look at are:

1. Diet
2. Diet
3. Diet

Mind you, this does not mean that you have to "go on a diet".

Body for Life by Bill Philips is a great place to start as a beginner. This is a great introduction to weight training and healthy eating. You can pick his book up in any bookstore.

imperfectly_lou
07-06-2006, 04:53 PM
Awesome post Miranda....

I don't really understand why people come to bodybuilding.com who don't weight train???

samizmom
07-06-2006, 05:08 PM
Hey Guys,

Thanks for your responses. Yes, they were good responses indeed.

For Jimmyno2: I have been stedily working out since 1996.
From 1992 to 1996 it was sporadic, not consistant, and I gained 30 lbs cause my diet SUCKED and I worked the midnight shift and ate anything I could get my hands on.
I wouldn't say I was fat, cause I was solid, not giggly, but I must admit, I was THICK. Stayed at 160 for about 5 years believe it or not. Then I got divorced, and I started taking Hydroxycut before they did the ephedra ban. (LOVED THAT STUFF!) Was never hungry for sweets, or anything else for that matter, and ate minimally, 3 meals per day. Worked out 5 days a week (Step aerobics only)
I lost 30 lbs in 4 months and kept it off for 5 years. Over the past year, however, I have put on 10 lbs. Now i'm 140, but I still feel pretty good. I would really like to be 125. I got to 125 for about 3 months after losing the 30 lbs, but it didn't last long! It was obviously too low of a weight for me..But It sure felt good.
So I balanced out at 130 and kept it there for 5 years. Working out steadily, but not watching what I ate. I would monitor portion size only, not WHAT I ate. However, that isn't working anymore over the past year. And even though I have increased my workout time, it's not making a difference. If someone can write me up a sample CLEAN daily diet, That's practicle for a mother who works full time and has little time to prepare...I would appreciate it immensely.

For Golfgirl- I have the body for life book! Great book. I do follow some of what he suggests for his diets, however, as I said, I don't do strictly because it's not realistic for me and my schedule. I know I should, but that is easier said then done for my hectic lifestyle. You need to be near an oven, a stove or a blender for most of his recipes.

And last but not least, to Miranda... My daily diet

I have a bowl of total cereal or grape nuts with soy (silk) milk and raspberries or blueberries, or strawberries for breakfast.
If I run out of cereal, I eat a slice of rye toast with peanut butter on it, and I have a cup of coffee with half and half and one teaspoon of sugar.

Mid-morning- I will have an individual cottage cheese, or a fruit.

For lunch I will have, either a lean cuisine, OR a can of albacore tuna with lemon, OR brown rice and veggies.
Or left over dinner from last night, if it happens to be a lean cut of steak, or chicken, or fish.
And a side salad with low fat dressing and almonds.
And beverage is always a diet snapple lemon tea.

I don't eat enough veggies, but that's because it's hard to prepare when you are on the go all the time. Dinner is usually the only time I can fit some in.

Come 3 pm, I have the craving for sweets, usually chocolate, so I usually eat one or 2 (quarter sized) individual dove chocolate bites.
I CAN'T HELP IT! I need the sweets or i'm cranky.

Then for dinner, I eat whatever my fiance makes me, which is never health conscious, but it's a balanced meal. Dinners are usually chicken of some kind, sometimes a meat with pasta, a vegetable, I skip breads and potatos whenever possible and pasta is more of a once a week item.I eat very small portions of it, and then an hour later, I work out for an hour to an hour and 1/2 to burn it off. I burn between 350 to 500 calories just with aerobics alone, and I usually work out 4 to 5 times per week, however there are weeks when I only do 3 days if it's a hectic week, and I try to do the bowflex (which is my weight lifting) after cardio, or pilates. I try not to do just aerobics.
I don't have free weights and I don't have time to join the gym, so I got a bowflex, which is resistance lifting, not weights. It should give similar results if poundage is the same.

* Every now and then, maybe once every 2 weeks, maybe 3.
I will take my daughter to Rita's ice and get a kids sized cup of water ice. (since it's summer time) FAT FREE but full of sugar.
I don't eat fried foods, and I rarely eat red meat, Mostly lean chicken or fish.
I don't eat chips and snax like that, it's always the sweets if anything, and I try to eat 2 to 3 fruits per day as well, either strawberries, blueberries, pineapple or raspberries.

So that is the jist of it. My fat intake is low (with exception of the chocolate, especially at that time of the month) and my pretein intake can use a boost I know, but my carbs are mostly complex in nature, which is good. and the protein I get is usually from fish or meats, not cheese and fats.

I also take lots of vitamins. I stopped taking supplements and stacks because they started upsetting my stomach.
However, I was doing an ECA stack, but it doesn't compare to hydroxycut. I want my ephedra back.

user464444132bbg
07-06-2006, 05:27 PM
I agree with what everyone else has said. Diet is the key and heavy weight lifting. Aerobics is third and I'm glad because I hate it. I don an hour of cardio three days a week and weight lift three days a week.

Looking at your diet, you need to get rid of the chocolate. Limit it to once a week. It took me a long time to get off of sugar and chocolate, I am a sweets fanatic. I have some on Saturdays which is the day I give myself a couple cheat meals or snacks.

It is possible to lose that cellulite. I never thought I could and I did. I'm 40 years old and in the best shape of my life. I have no jigglies anywhere. I am not a bodybuilder, but I train and eat like one. Competitions aren't my style, but the look is.

If you want it bad enough, you will find a way to get rid of the bad stuff you are eating. You have too. One Dove chocolate equals a lot of cellulite. I replaced my chocolate fixes with decaf coffee and a sprinkle of unsweetened cocoa. It gives my coffee that chocolatey taste and gets rid of that craving for me. I have one or two cups every day. Sometimes three or four depending on my stress,

Good luck to you!

samizmom
07-06-2006, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the tips. Will someone enlighten me as to why no one considers Bowflex resistance training, comparable to weight lifting? All weight lifting is, is resistance on your muscles as you lift it. Bow flex puts more of the emphasis on the return opposed to the lift. lifting 50 lbs of iron is the same as bending 50 lbs of resistance, anyway you cut it, it's 50 LBS.
And you have less chance of injury due to the smoother flow of a controlled return.
After hearing some of the responses, I see that some of you don't see how they are one in the same.
Just curious.

*supermomma*
07-06-2006, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the tips. Will someone enlighten me as to why no one considers Bowflex resistance training, comparable to weight lifting? All weight lifting is, is resistance on your muscles as you lift it. Bow flex puts more of the emphasis on the return opposed to the lift. lifting 50 lbs of iron is the same as bending 50 lbs of resistance, anyway you cut it, it's 50 LBS.
And you have less chance of injury due to the smoother flow of a controlled return.
After hearing some of the responses, I see that some of you don't see how they are one in the same.
Just curious.

As far as the diet goes, your choices are basically to suck it up and eat like a pro, or see less than optimal results--your choice.

As far as the Bowflex goes--it's better than nothing, but it isn't the best choice. When you use a machine like that, you remove the element of stability you get when lifting freeweights. I also assume you can't really do squats and deadlifts with a Bowflex, but I have no idea. But you definitely aren't protecting yourself from injufy--if anything, injury is more likely.

imperfectly_lou
07-06-2006, 07:13 PM
I agree that there is often a greater risk of injury with a machine because they often aren't calibrated correctly to account for your limb length.

And no 50lbs on a machine is NOT the same as 50lbs free weight. I could easily shoulder press 50lbs on a machine but doing it free weighted involves a lot more muscle coordination, control and core strength.

A decent set of adjustable weights, a weight bench, a barbell and a few plates is a LOT cheaper than one of those machines too.

imperfectly_lou
07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Re diets - I suggest you have a look in the journal section. Sherdi, Miranda, Terracotta and Chrystal all post their diets daily and you can see that "eating like a bodybuilder" is key to looking lean, fantastic and, well, plain hot :) We might not look like the bodybuilding-type you associate with steroid use but training like a BBer and eating like one is going to yield fantastic results!

samizmom
07-06-2006, 07:34 PM
Thanks for your post, gals,
However, I must kindly disagree with the increase of injury with Bowflex.
When you lift Free weights, with no machinery such as nautilus equiptment etc, you have a higher risk of injury due to poor posture and positioning. For example, if you dont have strong core muscles, you can throw out your back, opposed to on the BowFlex, there is no balancing involved. So yes, you are correct that you will get a better workout IF you use correct form (which few can EVERY time) due to the balancing act and working of core muscles that occurs when squatting a straight bar or doing dead lifts. (And yes, Bowflex allows you to do Squatting with a strait bar, it's just attached to pullies and bows for the resistance. It's pretty hard to hurt yourself with the BowFlex, and believe me, I worked out at a gym for 10 years...Saw many injuries occur with free weights and injured myself as well. I have yet to injure myself on the Bowflex. It takes all the guess work of correct form out of the equation. As for core strenth, I do pilates for that, so I compensate one way or another. I do have some dumbells at home, 10, 15 and 20 lbs. So I do my deadlifts with the 20 lb ones for now. If I had the time to spend at a gym, I would. But I lead to hectic of a life at this point. Perhaps someday.
I do sometimes miss the feel of free weights. However, lifting 50 lbs of free weights feels the same as 50 lbs on the bowflex. I feel no difference, but I understand what you mean about the balance and core aspect.
And you are right, Suppermomma, I do have to suck it up and eat like a pro. I do this about 90% of the time, it's the other 10% I have to work on.
I will check out those daily diets, i'm sure they will give me some ideas.
As I am always looking for new foods to eat so that I don't become bored.
Thanks for the tips girls!

imperfectly_lou
07-06-2006, 08:46 PM
You are eating a lot of processed/unclean foods such as:

* Lean Cuisine
* Sugar in coffee
* Cereal
* Chocolate

Unfortunately processed foods can lead to cellulite for sure.

Dogmama
07-07-2006, 04:57 AM
Thanks for your post, gals,
For example, if you dont have strong core muscles, you can throw out your back, opposed to on the BowFlex, there is no balancing involved. So yes, you are correct that you will get a better workout IF you use correct form (which few can EVERY time) due to the balancing act and working of core muscles that occurs when squatting a straight bar or doing dead lifts.

That is what Lou & SuperM were saying - there is no balancing involved so you DON'T use your core muscles. Why would you not want a strong core? Lots of gym injuries are from poor form due to weights that are too heavy for the lifter. Be smart!

Free weight lifting translates into everyday living. Picking up your kid = Romanian dead lift. Lifting heavy appliances = overhead press. Even vacuuming can be a wimpy rowing exercise (OK...I'm stretching there..!)

To be very honest - I'm hearing a lot of excuses why you can't follow a clean eating & good workout program, e.g., don't have time to join a gym, eat veggies, must have chocolate, etc. You will need to look at that.

Looking good is hard work and takes sacrifice - especially as we get older. I get up at 4AM to be at the gym or on my road bike by 5:00-5:30. I'm in bed by 8:00. My life has not suffered one bit by missing prime time TV! I plan my meals and grocery shop accordingly. I eat NO fast food - no excuses. You can always grab an apple & a piece of cheese at a grocery store.

You need to make a commitment. Resolve that you will make the changes in your life to take care of YOU FIRST. I have an extremely demanding, high stress job and work lots of overtime. I completely understand what a hectic lifestyle is all about. That is why I work out early - I'm giving myself the message that my health and my body are important and deserve attention every day.

Now, it's time to hit the gym!

samizmom
07-07-2006, 07:33 AM
Don't get me wrong, I understand where you are all coming from with the core muscle thing, however, it takes time to develop strong core muscles. You can't just expect a person (over 35) to throw a bar over their head with the heaviest poundage on it and do squats. You'll be crippled by the time you are thru. I prefer not to injure myself with free weights, which I have done before due to heavy poundage on a strait bar. I am being smart by knowing what my limits are and not acting like Hercules by pretending that I can throw a bar with heavy weights over my head at my age after being away from the gym for so many years. Besides, I have neck problems from previous injury, so it's not feasable for me to throw a bar around my neck with heavy weights on them. This is why I choose Bowflex or dumbells for squats.
This is why i said before in my previous post that I do PILATES for core strenth. My core is strong, but my neck is not. I don't need to do free weights for core strenth. If I did free weights with the straight bar, I would not be able to lift the heaviest poundage suggested to get my giggly thighs in shape, without the chance of injury to my neck. So to each their own girls... What's good for one, may not be good for all. You need to take everyones indivuduality into consideration where workouts are concerned. That's why there are VARIOUS ways to shape your body, not just one.
And I don't feel I am making excuses about dieting, i'm just being realistic. It takes A LOT of work and time and money to be able to eat like Arnold. I notice a lot of you are in your lower 20's. Do you all have children yet? Do you all work full time jobs or go to school? I do all three. And I commute 3 hours of my day to and from work, so my time in the evening is minimal, yet I still make time for my workouts. However, to think that I can prepare (Raw) foods while at work, or on the road, would be foolish of me. I'm thinking realistically here. I don't say I can do something that is not likely to happen. So realistically, I need a diet that is convenient, yet healthy, If there is such a thing. Sure I can give up the chocolate, and sweets etc. I never said I couldn't give that up...I choose not to right now, simple as that. I will eventually. The real problem is finding a variety of good food choices that don't need a stove or oven to prepare. Most microwavable items are processed. And you can't prepare egg white omlets and oatmeal in the microwave, nor can you blend protein shakes at work...so this is my dilema. I will keep checking out various journals of food choices to get some more ideas of quick prepared items that may assist me in the mornings and on the road. That was all in my original post.
perhaps there is no answer to my convenient diet dilema.

Rachel_n_SD
07-07-2006, 07:48 AM
i have the answer to your convenience dilemma. ive said it before, but i am a single mom, full time student, and work 40 hours a week. i still find time to work out 6 days a week, and eat 4-6 healthy meals a day. prepare your meals on a sunday and freeze them, bring a few with you to work, and voile-healthy microwavable meals. dilemma solved.

samizmom
07-07-2006, 07:51 AM
imperfectly_lou said
<<You are eating a lot of processed/unclean foods such as:

* Lean Cuisine
* Sugar in coffee
* Cereal
* Chocolate

Unfortunately processed foods can lead to cellulite for sure.>>

I think you hit it on the head, Lou. I need to find alternatives that are quick and easy.
Notice how the above foods are all quick convenient choices. This is my problem. AND yeah it would be a perfect world if I could conjer up an hour extra per day to cook up some egg whites and oatmeal instead of my cereal, but once again, that is time i seriously don't have. Not just an excuse. This is my daily schedule.

Wake up at 5:30am, shower and get ready for work.
Wake my daugher at 6:30am and prepare her lunch etc. while she gets ready.
We sit down together to a bowl of cereal (Which is usually a good cereal like total) and eat at 7pm.
7:10 were out the door to head to work and now, camp for her, which is an hour and 10 minutes from the house.
After I drop her off at 8:20, I continue on to work and arrive there at 8:45am.
I work until 4:30, in which then I head 25 minutes back to my daughters camp to pick her up by 5pm.
We're home by 6:15-6:30 and Dinner is usually prepared by my fiance (who is skinny as a rail and not about to start watching his weight) lol
We eat at 6:45, clean up, and by the time were done, it's 7:30. Now it's time for my daughter's bath andI try to fit in some homework (night school).
By 8:30, my daughter is ready for bed and by 9pm, i've read her a story and she's off to dreamland.
Now it's my time. I first get changed and ready to workout, by the time I get started it's 9:15-9:30 and I'm working out until 11pm. Then I first have to shower and wind down and get myself prepared for the next work day. This is the onyl time I have to prepare lunches, iron work clothes etc. By the time I get to bed it's 12:30-1am. and then i'm back up at 5am to do it all again. I'm serious when I say there is no time. I do not watch prime time TV either, and I take time out of studying to come to this website.
So, if I don't prepare the weeks food selections, the prior weekend, then there is no time during the week.
This is why I am looking for quick food alternatives that aren't processed, to help ease my daily grind.

Miranda
07-07-2006, 07:51 AM
It takes A LOT of work and time and money to be able to eat like Arnold.

. . .aka 'dedication'.

there are a lot of women on this board with full-time jobs, children, little money etc.

samizmom
07-07-2006, 07:58 AM
Yes, Rachel, This is a good idea. I need to cook for the entire week opposed to just a few days. Thanks for the suggestion. However, i'm still stuck for breakfasts. Can't prepare egg whites and oatmeal a head of time. IS cereal with fruit such a bad choice?

Miranda
07-07-2006, 08:11 AM
Yes, Rachel, This is a good idea. I need to cook for the entire week opposed to just a few days. Thanks for the suggestion. However, i'm still stuck for breakfasts. Can't prepare egg whites and oatmeal a head of time. IS cereal with fruit such a bad choice?

there's no protein in it . . .have you tried protein powders?
a good quick meal is dry oatmeal mixed with whey. you can take it with you in the car. add water, and voilŗ.
other good transportable goods are boiled eggs, tomatoes, homemade protein bars, canned tuna . . .

Rachel_n_SD
07-07-2006, 08:22 AM

protein pancakes. mix oats, eggs, protein powder, cook like a pancake, and freeze. those too can be defrosted.

fit123
07-07-2006, 09:55 AM
And you can't prepare egg white omlets and oatmeal in the microwave, nor can you blend protein shakes at work...so this is my dilema. I will keep checking out various journals of food choices to get some more ideas of quick prepared items that may assist me in the mornings and on the road. That was all in my original post.
perhaps there is no answer to my convenient diet dilema.

Hi, actually I make my eggwhites and oatmeal in the microwave. 6 eggwhites on a big plate, wisk them a bit with a fork, add 1/3 to 1/2 cup or dry oats. Carefully carry them to the microwave and cook it on hight for 3 mins. Then put salsa on top...it's yummy to me (maybe a lot of people will think :eek: but they taste pretty good to me. A little chewy, but heck it beats processed food.

As far as cooking, I cook in bulk, Freeze and then defrost when needed just like Rachael suggested. You can do that with both meats and veggies so you can get more veggies in your diet.

DUMB BELLE
07-07-2006, 11:58 AM
To be very honest - I'm hearing a lot of excuses why you can't follow a clean eating & good workout program, e.g., don't have time to join a gym, eat veggies, must have chocolate, etc. You will need to look at that.

Looking good is hard work and takes sacrifice - especially as we get older. I get up at 4AM to be at the gym or on my road bike by 5:00-5:30. I'm in bed by 8:00. My life has not suffered one bit by missing prime time TV! I plan my meals and grocery shop accordingly. I eat NO fast food - no excuses. You can always grab an apple & a piece of cheese at a grocery store.

You need to make a commitment. Resolve that you will make the changes in your life to take care of YOU FIRST. I have an extremely demanding, high stress job and work lots of overtime. I completely understand what a hectic lifestyle is all about. That is why I work out early - I'm giving myself the message that my health and my body are important and deserve attention every day.

Now, it's time to hit the gym!

BUMP Dogmama!!!!!!!

I know time constraints and convenience are an issue but I can gaurantee you that no one on this site actually has time to prepare their meals and fit in training either BUT...... they MAKE time.

I know you are looking for easy and ďconvenientĒ solutions to your diet (arenít we all) but if it really was all easy and required little effort, we wouldnít be living in a world with an obesity epidemic.

I think the problem with this day and age is that everyone is looking for a ďquick fixĒ with instant results - the fact is it doesnít exist! To be ABOVE AVERAGE- you have to actually make above average EFFORT! It is about good old-fashioned (long) hard work and commitment. And the results are SO much more rewarding, as not only will you look good but you will be proud of the dedication it took to ACHIEVE those results.

You CAN do it!!!! MAKE the time and make making time a priority eg: if you canít stomach a quick meal like a protein shake and oats for breakfast, then get up earlier.

About the cellulite and floppy skin issue: yes, diet is immensely important but so is your training so read this:
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=825161

Good Luck!

samizmom
07-07-2006, 12:03 PM
Thanks, girls,
Protein pancakes sound great! I don't know about cooking egg whites in a microwave, but hey, as long as it works for you...go for it.

Thanks for all the motivation. I need it.

Doing good so far today...

Breakfast-Grape nuts with soy milk and fresh blueberries.

Lunch- Brown rice with mixed veggies and canned chicken breast.
1 fresh pear.
Diet snapple tea

Gettin hungry now, so i'm gonna cook up some talapia.

It's easy to eat right when your home from work. I've been home all week, I work for the state of NJ. (God help me)

Dogmama
07-07-2006, 12:56 PM
You can't just expect a person (over 35) to throw a bar over their head with the heaviest poundage on it and do squats. You'll be crippled by the time you are thru. I prefer not to injure myself with free weights, which I have done before due to heavy poundage on a strait bar. Besides, I have neck problems from previous injury, so it's not feasable for me to throw a bar around my neck with heavy weights on them. This is why I choose Bowflex or dumbells for squats.

Next month, I'll be 52 years young. And six months ago, I had a disk replacement (bone from my hip) and cervical fusion of C4-C6 (disk had impaled itself into my spinal cord.) I'm back to squatting 105 pounds. But, I had to start all over again after the surgery with 25 pound dumbbells. It CAN be done. Oh, did I mention I have lupus? Really messes with the healing process.

I'm not trying to "one up" you, but illustrating that we all have challenges. Everybody is overbooked. I firmly believe that we make time for the things that matter to us.

(BTW - lunch hours are great for climbing stairs!)

MauiZos
07-07-2006, 07:17 PM
OK... so even though I'm one of the childless 22-year-olds castigated previously, I'm still going to throw in my 2 cents on some time savers :-)

I do all my grocery shopping on sunday afternoons and spend about an hour afterwards cutting up fruit and veggies, grilling chicken breasts, and portioning out pieces of fish to freeze. I freeze about half the fruit by spreading it on a cookie sheet. If you have time to pour a bowl of cereal in the morning, you have time to grab a handful of fruit and throw it in the blender with some soy milk and a scoop of protein powder. I often do this when I'm on the run and throw it in a thermo-mug to slurp on my way out the door.

With all the fruits and veggies cut up and ready to go, along with the chicken cooked or cans of tuna handy. It takes less than 2 minutes to pack the food I need for the day. I also bought this little lunch box, which makes me happier than I'd care to admit:
http://www.pearlriver.com/asp/v2ShowPics.asp?bnoframe=1&group=333&iPic=10381&owner=9&iKey=25773

As well, you can totally make an omelet in the microwave. There's lots of different ways, but here's one idea: http://recipes.calorierestriction.org/r.view?r=247&_mode=details
If you have access to a microwave at work, just bring a couple of eggs with you in the morning along with some mushrooms and spinach, crab, asparagus, or whatever grabs you that day.

You also don't NEED a blender to make a quick protein shake. If I'm on the run, I just pour the powder into a mixer cup or even a water bottle. Give it a lilttle shake and voila!

You ladies that manage to juggle jobs, school, kids, and husbands and still make yourselves a priority are my heroes. I can only imagine how overwhelming it must be at times, but also satisfying to know you are taking care of not only your own health and wellbeing, but also your kids' mom, your husband's wife, etc.