PDA

View Full Version : Leg excercises?

okohme
07-05-2006, 06:26 PM
I do not currently have access to a gym or any equiptment for legs, and as such I don't feel I am working my legs properly. Is there anything anyone knows of that will allow me to work my legs properly?

okohme
07-05-2006, 06:29 PM
So, I have a question. I have spoken with many, many, many people, most of them female and all of whom believe that women should use small weight for a large number of reps. And I wonder, what gives. I don’t mean to sound paranoid but it would seem a potential conspiracy or at least purposeful misinformation. Women who work out like that would have higher endurance, but less strength. Good for, you know, doing laundry all day, bad for fighting back against the jerk who wont take “no” for an answer. Any thoughts?

okohme
07-05-2006, 06:49 PM
that was supposed to be a seperate post not a reply to my other message.

northernbelle
07-05-2006, 07:35 PM
Leg exercises- squats, lunges, step ups, the basics. They can be done without weights or using dumbbells. Check out some of the resistance bands, the higher resistance rather than the lower ones. Also check out stumptuous.com for her at-home workout ideas.

Low weights/high reps: this has its place in a body building program, so it depends on your goals. Yes they build endurance, but if your goal is to increase muscle size and/or strength, you need to go heavier. I use low weights/high reps as a rest period after a series of heavy workouts. Sometimes this is called de-loading.

Women who lift light are afraid of developing mass, which, imo, won't happen. You are genetically programmed in terms of developing mass. If you are training for a competition, then you would design your training to meet that goal. Me- I can lift until the cows come home, and I would never develop huge muscle mass.

WillDeadliftForFood
07-05-2006, 09:45 PM
Thread in the exercise forum on bodyweight exercises:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=702737

Search through some of the links provided.

Remember, you can make your own weights out of anything. As long as it's the weight you desire and has some method of holding easily, it can do. Milk jugs full of water/sand, backpack full of bricks, etc.

Eileen
07-07-2006, 02:17 PM
One of the great advantages of being female is that you don't need to raid an iron foundry to get enough weight to workout. Lunges and step-ups and front squats can be done with things you'd find around the house. Fill a strong backpack with anything heavy and do squats or calf raises. If you are strong enough that household stuff is too light for you, try doing them one leg at a time.

zutons
07-08-2006, 07:17 AM
Same here. I do basic leg exercises with added weights.

Eileen
07-09-2006, 04:56 PM
Having just been shopping for school books for the kids, I can testify that books are amazingly heavy for their volume. I staggered home thinking "Farmer's walk, farmer's walk" all the way. Fill a few strong bags with books and you have all the weight you need.

imperfectly_lou
07-09-2006, 06:46 PM
Great ideas Eileen!