PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Convince My Friend That Fasting Is Bad!

justinbrown
07-05-2006, 01:36 PM
read the title...my friend thinks that fasting is the best way to lose fat...i dont even think shes fat but yu know how we all are too critical of ourselves

so post a reason or two not to fast and what to do instead!

thanks people i really appreciate it!

DUMB BELLE
07-07-2006, 09:14 AM
OMG!!!!! Are you serious? There are still people out there who believe this?

The body can't tell the difference between a RADICAL diet and starvation. Therefore, it slows down the metabolism and guards its reserves - the fat - very carefully. It's impossible to stay on these LOW cal diets for very long and still function properly then, when you stop this diet/fast, the body will stay at the lower metabolism for a while which means you put on MORE weight much more quickly and this weight will be stored as fat. This is why it is so easy to get into acycle of dieting, losing weight, gaining it back (and some) and dieting again - which only results in a slower and slower metabolism and high body fat percentage.

I like to think of metabolism as fueling a fire. If you throw too much wood on the flame all at once it will smother the fire, if you donít put enough wood on, it will burn out and die. You want to keep feeding it small amounts at regular intervals.

Find some pics of figure/fitness models and show that to your friend. If she agrees that they look amazing hen do some research on them to find out what they eat in a day and how many calories they consume. Then present THAT to her.

If that doesn't work...... give up! You can expose people to information and research as much as you like but if they are not open minded enough to TRY it or at least consider the different appraches, you can NOT change their mind set FOR them.

Good luck.
Hopefully she will see the light or at least glimpse at it!

Eileen
07-07-2006, 01:02 PM
Bitter experience. I tried one those those very low cal diets when I was younger and stupider. It was horribly anti-social because they consisted of disgusting shakes that I had to drink in the loo, because I couldn't be seen in public drinking anything so vile. I had no idea how much of social life revolved round food and drink until I wasn't able to share.

On the course of this "diet" I went from being someone who was lifting regularly AND training for a 206 mile maracycle, to being someone who couldn't walk upstairs without having to stop and take a rest afterwards. It took me about three months to recover to normal health when I stopped.

And yes, I did lose some weight, but very little of it was fat, I was just as wobbly at the end as the beginning, and once I returned to normal eating, I put on some serious weight.

DuragonZer0
07-09-2006, 10:41 AM
Tell your friend like it is, diet is just a four letter word; plain and simple. Fasting is the fastest way to lose weight, its undeniable. But since you are losing as much as if not more muscle than fat, because it takes more to maintain than fat and is therefore given priority when burning, its a mixed blessing at best. Ask your friend where thier source for this great advice was. Chances are it was a really shakey source, without any grounds to be basing claims on. Point that out, then of course you can hard counter with the fact that theres plenty of advocates for the 6 meal a day plan.

Talk on your friend's terms; saying "look, You're wrong about fasting. its bad stuff." kind of puts a debatable-ish twist on things. When people put thier pride on saying something like, say, "fasting is good for losing weight", it can be a major blow to concede somethin like "ok, I was totally wrong. I feel stupid now." You know what I mean, build off her points instead of shoving your own in. Otherwise, the body goes into more of a defensive, close-minded, state and she will be more convinced than ever that she is right. If that makes any sense.

deedlit
07-09-2006, 05:10 PM
I agree with what everybody has said so far. You can also direct your friend to this forum and have her check out some of the articles the ladies have put out there. Just by telling her yourself wil be your word against hers, but if she were to see enough evidence out there that fasting is really counterproductive to her goals, she might change her mind.

A lot of my friends have turned to starvation diets to lose weight/fat. I just direct them to some of the things on this website and I'll get a "OMG, I've been going about it the wrong way." Your friend can see some of the pics posted by the ladies here, that will convince her!

Best of luck!