PDA

View Full Version : Cellulite

Gibson Girl
07-05-2006, 12:47 PM
I am doing 1 1/2 to 2 hours of cardio a day and on a clean diet, but can not get rid of the cellulite on my legs and glutes. Can anyone assist in this area? I am 9 weeks out from my competition and really need to tone my legs.

~Lisa~
07-05-2006, 08:04 PM
I'd add in some HEAVY weight lifting on those legs!! Squats!! Straight Leg Deadlifts! Regular Deadlifts! Cable Kickbacks!

And when you say you're on a clean diet, could you tell us what exactly you're eating and how many meals per day? That sort of thing! :)

Will this be your first competition? How exciting to be 9 weeks out!!

~Lisa~
07-05-2006, 08:06 PM
Oh, I meant to say, too, that if you have access to any bleachers or a stadium, that I've had some serious success with bleacher running! That and deep squat jumps up the bleachers... those are hard, but they ROCK!!

samizmom
07-06-2006, 10:57 AM
Hi Girls,

I'm not new here, browse the site every once in a while to get pointers, however I was reading this post about cellulite and I must chime in, because I too have this same issue.
I am 35 years old and have been working out since I was 17. Have lapsed for a few years here and there and have put on and lost weight here and there. Right now I am 5'7", 140 lbs with the following measurements. 37-28-37.
However, my thighs are about 24 inches and jiggly as hell.
I have cellulite on the front, side and backs of my thighs, and a tad on the lower butt.
I work out 3 to 4 times a week, either an hour or step aerobics, or a half hour of treadmill and 1/2 hour of bowflex or pilates. NOTHING gets rid of the cellulite.
I watch what I eat for the most part, but ****, you gotta live a little and have the Rita's ice or toasted almond bar once in a while. IT's SUMMER after all! But although I am at my "ideal" body weight according to all the charts. I am a size 8 and would rather be a 6. I can't seem to find the secret recipe needed to shed the jiggly fat and reveal the muscles beneath it all. The more I do step aerobics or heavy leg presses, the bigger my legs get, and the higher the pant size rises. Doing JUST aerobics is not a good thing either, as it will eat away at muscle tissue over time and therefore lower the metabolism. Without literally starving myself to death, I see no other way to target the thigh area and get the jiggly fat firmed up. I don't want to lose any more boobs, so running or high impact cardio is only going to make my entire body smaller, which I don't necessarily want to do. Who has the answer to the lower body fat and cellulite dilema? Anyone's advice would be much appreciated.

samizmom
07-06-2006, 11:03 AM
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention, that when I do an hour of treadmill at 4.0 miles per hour, I am literally EXHAUSTED.
Doing the bowflex or anaerobic workouts keep me more energized then aerobics does. My Step Reebox workout burns alot of calories and gets me energized, but it's just not cutting the upper thigh fat.
Is it ALL about the diet? I'm beginning to think that diet is 70% and working out is only 30, because with the way I workout, I should look like a million bucks.

imperfectly_lou
07-06-2006, 11:56 AM
Its more like diet is 80-90% I'm afraid.

~Lisa~
07-06-2006, 12:00 PM
I am no professional by any means, so I can only speak to what worked for me. And I do a combination of several things that ended up in the results that I wanted. I have pictures in my journal on this site, on pages 1 and 3, I think, if you want to see.

You said: Without literally starving myself to death, I see no other way to target the thigh area and get the jiggly fat firmed up. I don't want to lose any more boobs, so running or high impact cardio is only going to make my entire body smaller, which I don't necessarily want to do. Who has the answer to the lower body fat and cellulite dilema? Anyone's advice would be much appreciated.

The problem is, you can't spot reduce! It's an all or nothing thing. You can't decide to lose all the fat on your thighs and lower butt, but not lose it anywhere else. Your boobs are probably going to suffer, too, unfortunately. And I FEEL THAT PAIN!! God knows. But a couple of girls on this site really make me feel better about that...."Who needs boobs when you have biceps?" hehe

And I agree that diet plays a huge role in all of this!! It is not just exercise alone, as you said. I understand what you say about having the summertime treats, but if you want to get fit and firm and cellulite-free, you're going to have to make some sacrifices! If it were easy, everyone would be FIRM!! :D

Ok, so here's what I do that has gotten me to where I am currently... which is pretty darn close to cellulite-free.

My diet is VERY clean. I don't have a cheat anything more than once or twice a month, at most.

I lift weights 6 days per week, and I lift HEAVY. If I can lift it more than 6 or 7 times, then it's not heavy enough. This will not turn you into She-Hulk, so don't worry! I do heavy (for me) squats of all varieties (smith machine, barbell, plie, close feet with DB's, etc etc). I do cable kickbacks, good mornings, deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, 45* leg presses, etc... ALL sorts of leg exercises, and all as heavy as possible.

I run bleachers every week. I run at least 400 steps per session, and I do deep squat jumps up the bleachers. These are AWESOME and I highly recommend them to ANY woman who has butt issues!!

I take the supplement CLA. I have no idea how effective CLA is alone, since I do all the other things, but it is so highly recommended that I keep on taking it.

WillDeadliftForFood
07-06-2006, 01:27 PM
It's easier for people to offer advice if they know exactly what you're doing. Description of workout, example of daily diet would greatly help us help you. That way we can see if there are any obvious factors working against you.

That said, like the above poster said, you can not spot reduce. Your body is genetically programmed to lose fat from certain areas first, and certain areas more than others. On a up-side, developing your pecs will help raise your breasts and compensate somewhat for the loss of mass there.

I'm not sure how exactly bowflexs are arranged, but leg presses never really helped add any size to my legs. Barbell squats, barbell lunges, and hack squats have really added some muscle to my legs. You might have to try something new in order to see better results.

Hope this helps.

samizmom
07-06-2006, 04:13 PM
Thanks for your replies, Girls...

Ok, Lisa, so you say that you lift as heavy as you can, for how many reps??? I usually try to stay at a weight that I can do 10 reps, 3 sets till exhaustion. It varries daily, based on whether I do cardio before my bowflex (I don't use free weights much...I only have 10 and 15 lb dumbells for Firm video workouts. However, Bowflex, as i'm sure you know, are resistance bows. Up to 50 lb bows. If I were to stack all the bows evenly, it's about 250 lbs of weight.
I, of course, don't do that heavy.
I am aware that you can't spot reduce, but I was hoping that you can spot "tone" if you will. lol Which I know can be done, because i've seen people do it. They use weights and only work that one muscle group, and they either get toned and more defined and slimmer in that area, or they bulk.
I find that I bulk, when it comes to my legs. If I do heavy weights, my legs get pretty big, but the fat layer is still there! I want to slim my legs. I have plenty of muscle already there, I just need to find it under the thin layer of cellulite and fat.

Ok, now in response to WillDeadliftForFood , here is what I eat, and not on a regular basis, cause I can't eat the same thing everyday. and by the way, I LOVE TO EAT!

I have a bowl of total cereal with soy (silk) milk and raspberries or blueberries, or strawberries for breakfast.
If I run out of cereal, I eat a slice of rye toast with peanut butter on it, and I have a cup of coffee with half and half and one teaspoon of sugar.

Mid-morning- I will have an individual cottage cheese, or a fruit.

For lunch I will have, either a lean cuisine, OR a can of albacore tuna with lemon, OR brown rice and veggies.
Or left over dinner from last night, if it happens to be a lean cut of steak, or chicken, or fish.
And a side salad with low fat dressing and almonds.
And beverage is always with a diet snapple lemon tea.

I don't eat enough veggies, but that's because it's hard to prepare when you are on the go all the time. Dinner is usually the only time I can fit some in.

Come 3 pm, I have the craving for chocolate, so I usually eat one or 2 (quarter sized) individual dove chocolate bites.
I CAN'T HELP IT! I need the sweets.

Then for dinner, I eat whatever my fiance makes me, which is never health conscious, but I eat very small portions of it, and then an hour later, I work out for an hour to an hour and 1/2 to burn it off. I burn between 350 to 500 calories just with aerobics alone, and I usually work out 4 to 5 times per week, however there are weeks when I only do 3 days if it's a hectic week, and I try to do the bowflex after cardio, or pilates. I try not to do just aerobics.

* Every now and then, maybe once every 2 weeks, maybe 3.
I will take my daughter to Rita's ice and get a kids sized cup of water ice. FAT FREE but full of sugar.
Idon't eat fried anything, and I rarely eat red meat, Mostly lean chicken.
I don't eat chips and snax like that, it's always the sweets if anything, and I try to eat 2 to 3 fruits per day as well, either strawberries, blueberries, pineapple or raspberries.

So that is the jist of it. My fat intake is low (with exception of the chocolate) and my pretein intake can use a boost I know, but my carbs are mostly complex in nature, which is good. and the protein I get is usually from fish or meats, not cheese and fats.

Dinners are usually chicken of some kind, sometimes a meat with pasta, a vegetable, I skip breads and potatos whenever possible and pasta is more of a once a week item.

I know I can eat cleaner, but it's not realistic to eat egg whites in the morning when i'm rushing out the door and have a 7 year old to get ready as well. I need quick food alternatives, I can't be standing over a stove cooking egg white omlets and oatmeal, not on weekdays at least.

So let me know what you think. I know people who look better than me with diets that would make you puke their so poor. So what gives? Why can some people eat whatever they want and hardly lift a muscle, yet I watch myself 90% of the time and work out often and can't compete?

samizmom
07-06-2006, 04:27 PM
Oh, I forgot to tell you my workout routine.

I do either a half hour of the treadmill at 4.0 mph
And 1/2 hour of bowflex, which consists of...

Lateral pulldowns -3 sets of 10 (50lb) reps
Leg extensions - 3 sets of 10 (50 lb) reps (last set till exhaustion)
Strait leg deadlifts - As many as I can do, holding two 15 lb dumbells in hand. Usually about 30 reps.
Bowflex cable side kicks for adductors and abductors. 25 lbs, 3 sets of 10 reps/ (Which seems to do NOTHING for the saddle bags)

30 push-ups
30 Tricep dips or kickbacks.
30 Lateral fly's
and 100 crunches

OR

I do my step reebok video 60 minutes of nonstop aerobic stepping.
Which incorporates sit-ups, push-ups and tricep dips after the cool down.
If I do this tape, this is all I do that eve. I may use the excercise ball for my abs after, but that's it.
I always work out at night, at around 8pm, because that's the only time I can fit it in when my daughter isn't following me around.
Mornings are impossible. I'd rather sleep then get up early to workout.

Then on occasion, I will do an hour of the treadmill

Then I shower and am in bed within 2 hours for the night.

~Lisa~
07-06-2006, 06:09 PM
Ok, Lisa, so you say that you lift as heavy as you can, for how many reps??? I usually try to stay at a weight that I can do 10 reps, 3 sets till exhaustion.

I am currently on a 5 x 5 workout plan. So I lift the weight 5 times per set, for 5 sets. 2 minutes rest in between. If I can lift the weight 6 times, then it's not heavy enough.

I do at LEAST 3 exercises per body part. So that usually amounts to 6 exercises each day. It takes me about an hour or so. I post my workouts and my food and pictures and daily mumbo jumbo thoughts in my journal if you're ever interested. :)

samizmom
07-06-2006, 07:19 PM
Thanks for sharing your journal, Lisa.
I eat pretty similar to you, except on occasion, the sweets are calling my name. I have to learn some self dicipline. I'm not that out of shape to allow the clean diet to control my life just yet. But I should start getting more serious. I'm serious about working out, it's the diet part I have an issue with. lol.
Your pics are nice. I see what you mean about wanting to bulk a bit. I wish that's all I had to worry about.

sherdi
07-07-2006, 01:34 AM
Hi There! I definitely can see that your diet needs some major rehauling...I understand that you say you do not have enough time to eat healthy. I guess it comes down to how much you want it. Sure, eating healthy does take more time, but I think it's so worth it!

I would immediately take out all processed carbs from your daily menu. Take out the lean cruisine, the cereal, the chocolate, the sugar.

Start eating more veggies: You should be having 5-7 servings of vegetables a day!!! Saying you don't have time for veggies, is really just an excuse...it really doesn't take much time to make veggies!!! Depends on how badly you want to get healthy!

Good that you are eating fruit. Try to have a few servings in the morning preferably. Also make sure you are eating it with a protein, some complex carbs, and some good fat.

You are not eating enough protein. Try to eat a lean source of protein at every meal. Just having cereal in the morning is setting you up for sugar craving for the afternoon. Cooking food in the morning doesn't need to take too much time. You can prepare things the night before and just re-heat.

You are not eating enough good fat. Things like olive oil, raw nuts, fish oils, fat from fish, avocado, natural pb are all great to have.

You are not eating enough unprocessed complex carbs. Sweet potato, brown rice, oats, oatbran, beans, wholegrains like barley etc should be eating in small amounts at every meal to help sustain energy...Also help stop those sugar cravings.

I also dont' think you are eating enough! I would like to see much more variety and good food options in your diet.

I hope my suggestions help! :)

WillDeadliftForFood
07-07-2006, 02:10 AM
^^^^^^ Good post.

Some fats (and cholesterol) are necessary for hormone production. Buy some flax oil from your local health food store (it should be in a refrigerator at the store. If not, don't buy it), and use a little every day.

Protein with every meal.

You can always cook your vegetables in advance, freeze and thaw them in the microwave. Make a few big batches and then freeze for the week.

As for your lifting routine, I'd like to see more compounds. You're doing quite a few isolations, but very few genuine mass-building compounds. You said the bowflex has a leg press, right? Bowflex should have a simulated bench press, if not a overhead press. Rows. Multi-joint movements are the keys of great routines. Save the isolations for the end of the workout, and use sparingly, maybe once a week.

I'm not on my home pc so I can't pull up any of my bookmarks. When I'm home I'll post some of the most highly recommended programs on this board.

You can also pull up Terracotta's website here (look in her signature). She has some very good beginner programs as well.

Hope this all helps. And remember, this is all In My Own Opinion.

IBBAdmin
07-07-2006, 03:19 AM
Alot of stretches, stiff leg ect. Also , if you could find the real thiomucase cream that works wonders to tighten up the skin .

samizmom
07-07-2006, 08:08 AM
Thanks girls,
Those are good suggestions. I'm going to start preparing all my weekly meals on Sunday and freeze them. That's the answer for lunches.
I'll probably blend up some protein powder and egg whites, fruit and soy milk for a protein shake for breakfast if I don't have time to cook some eggs and oatmeal.

I do take flaxseed oil pills daily, along with my vitamins.
I do eat nuts as snacks sometimes too. Usually almonds and walnuts. I usually don't eat the same things everyday. Maybe I should be.
There are a lot of good things i'm eating that I didn't list on my daily diet because I don't eat them every day. My menu varies. But I do need more protein.
Are protein bars a good choice? I have always eaten them, but some are coated with chocolate. I could always choose the yogurt covered ones. But are protein bars considered processed crap?

justanothagirl
07-07-2006, 08:18 AM
try rubbing some topical fat burners such as Yohimburn ES on before your cardio workouts

if they dont slim your legs down then at least they get rid of the cellulite

Gibson Girl
07-07-2006, 08:20 AM
This is my first competition. Hip, Hip, Hooray :))

Here is my current diet: (This is a change from my last diet and I lost 2.5 pounds this week on it). I think on my last diet I starving myself) )

0600 - Whey protein shake (after morning cardio)
0800 - 3 egg white and 1 egg & 1 cooked oatmeal
1000 - 6 oz. chicken breast & 1 cup green beans
1230 - 6 oz. chicken breast & 1 cup green beans or salad
1500 - 6 oz. Talipia and 4 oz. sweet potato
1700 - Workout
1800 - Whey protein shake (right after weight training before cardio)
2030 - 6 oz. chicken breast & 1 cup green beans

My lifting day are
Monday & Thursday - Back, Traps, biceps
Tuesday & Friday - Legs/calves
Wednesday & Saturday - Shoulders, Lats, triceps
I am currently training all body parts twice a week for toning. Abs 3 times a week.

I'd add in some HEAVY weight lifting on those legs!! Squats!! Straight Leg Deadlifts! Regular Deadlifts! Cable Kickbacks!

And when you say you're on a clean diet, could you tell us what exactly you're eating and how many meals per day? That sort of thing! :)

Will this be your first competition? How exciting to be 9 weeks out!!

someday
07-07-2006, 09:28 AM
i also compete and have the same issue. my butt tightens up the last week. it is to some degree genetics. i naturally carry my weight there and even as a teenager i had a small bit of cellulite there. diet and exercise is the key! although you can't spot reduce, i do believe the stepmill has helped me stay tighter this off season than ever before. much more effective than any other form of cardio for me.

gibson girl, i hope you are working with someone for your show. i don't know your stats or back ground, but at a quick glance i would tend to think you are eating to much. 7 meals a day is over 175 grams of protien there....and green beans aren't usually the best green veggie....better off with broccolli or asparagus. best of luck to you....i hope it all comes together for you.

samizmom
07-07-2006, 12:12 PM
<<try rubbing some topical fat burners such as Yohimburn ES on before your cardio workouts

if they dont slim your legs down then at least they get rid of the cellulite>>

REALLY???? There is a topical that actually works???
THANKS! Do I get yohimbrn in a GNC? Like Yohimbe?

fitcajungirl
07-07-2006, 01:21 PM
<<try rubbing some topical fat burners such as Yohimburn ES on before your cardio workouts

if they dont slim your legs down then at least they get rid of the cellulite>>

REALLY???? There is a topical that actually works???
THANKS! Do I get yohimbrn in a GNC? Like Yohimbe?

Yohimburn and other products like that are used by competitors often to help lean out the legs. HOWEVER, they work best when bodyfat is 12 percent or below. Use a clean diet with unprocessed foods and drink plenty of water first, before you use topical products.

Lisa
www.fitlisa.com

justanothagirl
07-08-2006, 12:25 AM
yeah im not sure if they helped slim my legs down as i did lose some weight but well the cellulite is entirely gone, it was remarkably less after a only a week or two of using it too and now its completely gone

i used Yohimburn ES but ive also been hearing good things about Avant Labs LipoDerm-Ultra, although I never used this product myself so cant judge it

the thing is you have to apply it like 30 minutes prior to a cardio workout, because it loossens the fats or fatty acids or anything (didnt really study the science behind it) so that they will be easier to be burned off than otherweise instead of other parts of your body

alohafitness
07-08-2006, 12:44 AM
Alot of stretches, stiff leg ect. Also , if you could find the real thiomucase cream that works wonders to tighten up the skin .
1. I don't think they make thiomucase (spelling?) anymore, or that's what I was told.
2. I would listen to Lisa--the bleachers and the deep squat jumps are hard as hell and they work so well (ha I rhymed)! And the stairmaster and walking/running at a steep incline are 2 of my favs.
3. I wonder about the yohimbe creams and lipo stuff but hey, it's worth a shot.
Plus I hope you're drinking enough H2O. Good luck!

jeni5.0
07-08-2006, 02:15 AM
i have cellulite on my thighs also. i have never heard of anything that can get rid of it, or even help it enough to mention. so, if any of the above work for you, please please let us know. :)

samizmom
07-08-2006, 07:19 AM
Thanks all,

I will stick to my diet and try the creams and let you know how I do. I don't have access to bleachers near my house, but I do have stairs. So i'll work with that for now and keep you posted.
Thanks again!

Robyn

30-A rider
07-13-2006, 09:48 AM
I am no professional by any means, so I can only speak to what worked for me. And I do a combination of several things that ended up in the results that I wanted. I have pictures in my journal on this site, on pages 1 and 3, I think, if you want to see.

You said: Without literally starving myself to death, I see no other way to target the thigh area and get the jiggly fat firmed up. I don't want to lose any more boobs, so running or high impact cardio is only going to make my entire body smaller, which I don't necessarily want to do. Who has the answer to the lower body fat and cellulite dilema? Anyone's advice would be much appreciated.

The problem is, you can't spot reduce! It's an all or nothing thing. You can't decide to lose all the fat on your thighs and lower butt, but not lose it anywhere else. Your boobs are probably going to suffer, too, unfortunately. And I FEEL THAT PAIN!! God knows. But a couple of girls on this site really make me feel better about that...."Who needs boobs when you have biceps?" hehe

And I agree that diet plays a huge role in all of this!! It is not just exercise alone, as you said. I understand what you say about having the summertime treats, but if you want to get fit and firm and cellulite-free, you're going to have to make some sacrifices! If it were easy, everyone would be FIRM!! :D

Ok, so here's what I do that has gotten me to where I am currently... which is pretty darn close to cellulite-free.

My diet is VERY clean. I don't have a cheat anything more than once or twice a month, at most.

I lift weights 6 days per week, and I lift HEAVY. If I can lift it more than 6 or 7 times, then it's not heavy enough. This will not turn you into She-Hulk, so don't worry! I do heavy (for me) squats of all varieties (smith machine, barbell, plie, close feet with DB's, etc etc). I do cable kickbacks, good mornings, deadlifts, straight leg deadlifts, 45* leg presses, etc... ALL sorts of leg exercises, and all as heavy as possible.

I run bleachers every week. I run at least 400 steps per session, and I do deep squat jumps up the bleachers. These are AWESOME and I highly recommend them to ANY woman who has butt issues!!

I take the supplement CLA. I have no idea how effective CLA is alone, since I do all the other things, but it is so highly recommended that I keep on taking it.

What a great post! Good job Lisa

~Lisa~
07-13-2006, 11:03 AM
Thanks 30-A :D

nd2xtreme
07-16-2006, 09:19 PM
Even when I was 159 lbs I didn't have cellulite. For some reason I have it now. It looks like I've been cut up. I only weigh 125lbs and 5'4.
My upper body looks like a fitness model and my lower body looks like an obese person. I don't know how to firm up my thighs. I workout at least an hour and a half everyday. I lift weights, do squats, lunges, hack squats, deadlifts, jumping jacks etc etc. Does anyone think urban rebounding or a stair climber would help?

Saeco Pink
07-17-2006, 01:48 AM
You all have to run a lot or walk a lot, to get those thighs slimmer. You also have to do leg shaping workouts.

Here's a pear shape/heavy legs slimmer resistance workout. Use weights light enough that you can move quickly, but that provide resistance. It is supposed to be completed in one hour. Squeeze your butt, thighs, and abs throughout every movement because that's required for the effects to take place.

Finally, if it hurts/burns/feels uncomfortable but still doable, you're golden. This workout should have you dripping with sweat after about 10 minutes, but you should feel full of energy.

Do these as supersets.
3 sets:
15 Leg Extensions with three foot positions (toe out, toe in, toe straight)
15 Leg Adduction (raise tush off seat, but keep entire back pressed against seatback. Hold on to the sides of the seat)
15 Leg Abduction (raise tush off seat, as above)

3 sets:
15 Single Leg Press
15 each Leg Press with three foot positions (wide stance, middle stance, knees/ankles together. There is no rest between foot positions)
15 Hack Squat (Sled, Facing In/Opposite Direction) with two foot positions (wide stance toe out - toe on ground/heel on platform, middle stance toe straight)
15 Standing Leg Abduction (Leg Raises)

3 sets:
10 Smith Reverse Lunge with Knee Raise
10 Smith Squat with feet far forward
10 Smith Sumo Squat on Balls of Feet

3 sets:
15 Prone Leg Curl
15 Standing Single Leg Curl
15 Straight Leg Dead Lift with toe in and toes raised on 2.5lb weight

3 sets:
10 Seated Leg Curl
15 Sideways Duck Walk with Resistance band around quads OR walking lunges

Finally, of course, is creating a diet that you'll be able to keep for the rest of your life. Say goodbye to cheese, especially if you are over 35 and female. Think about carb cycling or calorie cycling. Seems that simple carbs after 12pm are problematic and complex carbs can be tricky. I recommend eating only vegetable carbs after 12 pm. You can have your yams with breakfast.

My thoughts on Yohimburn 38 or whatever the hell it is...that's pricey stuff. You can get 100% yohimbine in bulk powder for a 20th of the price and either make your own topical recipe (need to get DMSO, tho. Lookup "home recipes yohimbine topical/transdermal") or mix it with water and use a medicine dropper to take your dosages.

Hope this is useful to someone.

Saeco Pink
07-17-2006, 01:51 AM
I am doing 1 1/2 to 2 hours of cardio a day and on a clean diet, but can not get rid of the cellulite on my legs and glutes. Can anyone assist in this area? I am 9 weeks out from my competition and really need to tone my legs.
You maybe need more calories. That's a lot of exercise and you may actually be starving.

Saeco Pink
07-17-2006, 01:53 AM
Even when I was 159 lbs I didn't have cellulite. For some reason I have it now. It looks like I've been cut up. I only weigh 125lbs and 5'4.
My upper body looks like a fitness model and my lower body looks like an obese person. I don't know how to firm up my thighs. I workout at least an hour and a half everyday. I lift weights, do squats, lunges, hack squats, deadlifts, jumping jacks etc etc. Does anyone think urban rebounding or a stair climber would help?
I'd say you, too, are probably not eating enough.

fit123
07-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Do these as supersets.
3 sets:
15 Leg Extensions with three foot positions (toe out, toe in, toe straight)
15 Leg Adduction (raise tush off seat, but keep entire back pressed against seatback. Hold on to the sides of the seat)
15 Leg Abduction (raise tush off seat, as above)

You mention no rest in between the 3 sets. Do you rest after each 3 set segment? For example between the extensions and adduction, between the adduction and the abduction.

3 sets:
15 Single Leg Press
15 each Leg Press with three foot positions (wide stance, middle stance, knees/ankles together. There is no rest between foot positions)
15 Hack Squat (Sled, Facing In/Opposite Direction) with two foot positions (wide stance toe out - toe on ground/heel on platform, middle stance toe straight)
15 Standing Leg Abduction (Leg Raises)

3 sets:
10 Smith Reverse Lunge with Knee Raise
10 Smith Squat with feet far forward
10 Smith Sumo Squat on Balls of Feet

3 sets:
15 Prone Leg Curl
15 Standing Single Leg Curl
15 Straight Leg Dead Lift with toe in and toes raised on 2.5lb weight

3 sets:
10 Seated Leg Curl
15 Sideways Duck Walk with Resistance band around quads OR walking lunges

Do you mean doing all those exercises in a workout? Is the idea to do 45 reps, rest (how long?) start the next 45 reps, rest, etc?

Miranda
07-17-2006, 07:51 AM
Here's a pear shape/heavy legs slimmer resistance workout. Use weights light enough that you can move quickly, but that provide resistance. It is supposed to be completed in one hour. Squeeze your butt, thighs, and abs throughout every movement because that's required for the effects to take place.

this implies you can spot reduce. also, if you can do 15 reps for quads/glutes, you're not using enough weight to stimulate growth.

gymgrrl
07-17-2006, 02:48 PM

Oh, my god! Are you ME?! I have the same problem and I hate it! My upper body is great...well, not GREAT but really pretty good :)....just so I don't toot my own horn here. But, or should I say "BUTT"...my lower half is, like, some one else's, I think. I work out all the time but you will not catch me DEAD in shorts in public....NEVER! Hey, I'll go topless through a church if I have to but I will always have pants on.

I drives me crazy, especially now in the summer with wearing a bathing suit and all. I sweat my BALLS off sitting out at the pool but the thought of walking to get in...in front of everyone, freaks me out.

At times, I think I"m mental but, in reality, I'm just a kooky girl!!! :)

Saeco Pink
07-17-2006, 06:59 PM
You mention no rest in between the 3 sets. Do you rest after each 3 set segment? For example between the extensions and adduction, between the adduction and the abduction.

Do you mean doing all those exercises in a workout? Is the idea to do 45 reps, rest (how long?) start the next 45 reps, rest, etc?
I'm sorry I wasn't more clear.

Rest only when you feel the need. The idea is to make this a high impact workout (therefore, the high reps). Each 3 set segment is a superset/triset, so you would not rest between the exercises. You can rest between each superset/triset according to your energy level.

How heavy you go is up to your personal level of strength. By the time you reach the last two superset/trisets, your heart rate will have calmed considerably, so you are free to go as heavy as you like for that body part.

These exercises are designed to slim the thighs, so in that vein, they are "spot reducing." Surely you all agree that aggressively working the legs is the sure way to sculpt that area of the body and reduce fat from that area.

Doing a routine that is both cardiovascular and resistant will absolutely remove fat/fluid volume from the area exercised in addition to other areas not directly targeted.

Saeco Pink
07-17-2006, 08:18 PM
http://dumbbellbuddy.com/images/iron2steel_lowerbody/hls-160-250.jpg

Here's the sled hack squat machine. You want to face towards the opposite direction of the gal pictured.

In effect, you'll be doing a sled front squat. Cross your arms in front of you and place your elbows and forearms flat on the back rest. Your shoulders will still be positioned under the shoulder pads, just not 100% as in the photo.

Wide Stance: Your feet will be positioned in the corners of the foot platform (See where the bottom most handle is located? Your foot should be placed right under it and your toes should be pointing downward and touching the floor.

Raise up to unlock the safety bars, then lower to a 90-degree squat. Push up firmly from your heels with butt, thighs, & abs clenched. Move reasonably quickly to get your maximum cardio effect.

Medium Stance: Your feet will be positioned on the platform, slightly wider than shoulder width and toes pointed straight. Start from a squat position with your butt pushed out as far as possible while in the squat. Your knees should be about two inches distance from the back rest.

Raise up quickly, steadily and thrust your hips forward at the top of the movement. You will be clenching your butt, thighs and abs throughout the workset.

Frank_The_Tank
07-17-2006, 08:28 PM
There is honestly no substance called "cellulite." Feel free to prove me wrong.

"Cellulite" is not a medical term. Medical authorities agree that cellulite is simply ordinary fatty tissue [1]

Miranda
07-17-2006, 11:54 PM
Doing a routine that is both cardiovascular and resistant will absolutely remove fat/fluid volume from the area exercised in addition to other areas not directly targeted.

you-cannot-spot-reduce.

the body burns fat by releasing fatty acids into the bloodstream. they come from fat storages found everywhere in the body, not one area you just trained.

Saeco Pink
07-18-2006, 01:36 AM
There is honestly no substance called "cellulite." Feel free to prove me wrong.
I'm sure there are at least 100 medical studies since 1980 that use the term cellulite.

The medical industry also uses other terms for the same problem.

Saeco Pink
07-18-2006, 01:37 AM
you-cannot-spot-reduce.

the body burns fat by releasing fatty acids into the bloodstream. they come from fat storages found everywhere in the body, not one area you just trained.
I didn't say ONE AREA.

Miranda
07-18-2006, 01:56 AM
I didn't say ONE AREA.

no . . . several areas, in fact.

other areas not directly targeted.

you can't target fat loss.

'cellulite' is fat trapped in the skins matrix - not different to buttons on a sofa.
because of their skin's structure and because they store fat direct underneath, women are more prone to it than men. you can try to partially diminish the appearence of cellulite by removing fluid from the cells. this you can do with diet, not with this type of 'resistance' training.

Gibson Girl
07-18-2006, 06:20 AM
Thanks to everyone who has replied to the post. I have learned a great deal. Do I still have fatty tissue/cellulite yes of course. Am I working hard to tone my legs and gluts by working out and eating right? Yes

I am not going to give up. I know I am born to have beautiful tone legs. One day I am going to get it and post the pics.

Gymgrrl, I feel you on that note. I have the same dilemma when it comes to wearing shorts. I should say I am starting to see a little I repeat, a little change in my legs since I started lifting heavier and increase my sets from 3 to 4 and increase more workouts. Instead of doing leg extension, squats, leg curls & inner and outer abductor, I added lunges, sissy squats, and leg press. I also started doing super sets. After the weight training I get on the bike for 30 minutes and then on the cross training machine for
30 minutes. You better believe when I walk out of the gym on legs day I can barely feel them. :-))

Hey keep the posts rolling. I am hoping it is benefiting others.

nd2xtreme
07-18-2006, 03:32 PM
I think I'll slim down until it disappears. I'll go down to 95 lbs if I have to. Then add muscle. Basically tear down and rebuild, so to speak

Saeco Pink
07-18-2006, 07:34 PM
you can't target fat loss.
Yes, you can. What are transdermals all about if not targeted fat loss and spot reduction?

Furthermore, none of us has spoken of intramuscular fat, but I propose that regional fat burning is a debate worthy of attention. Nonetheless, we are talking about subcutaneous fat.

this you can do with diet, not with this type of 'resistance' training.
If "this type of 'resistance' training does not work (as if weight training wasn't resistance or something?), then what type of resistance training does? Are you suggesting that no resistance training reduces cellulite?

I certainly disagree with the implication in your sentence that cellulite is reduced by diet alone. Now, your suggestion that diet "can" reduce cellulite in opposition to "this type of 'resistance' training, raises a question about other methods you did not mention.

I'm all ears.

Saeco Pink
07-18-2006, 07:42 PM
I think I'll slim down until it disappears. I'll go down to 95 lbs if I have to. Then add muscle. Basically tear down and rebuild, so to speak
I'm almost certain that your idea is counter-intuitive to the way the body works. I think a woman already posted that the cellulite comes back when calories and certain foods are returned to "normal."

Anyone know if recovering anorexics have cellulite?

Miranda
07-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Yes, you can. What are transdermals all about if not targeted fat loss and spot reduction?
topical creams to blast fat? you tell me. i have no clue.
first you offer exercise to ‘target’ areas and when someone criticizes it you turn onto something completely different.

of course you can spot reduce :rolleyes: why, you forgot the best all-over spot-reduction method: liposuction. get yourself some lipo and suck your thighs into oblivion! then go on eating crap like you did with your lightweight stuff and see it come back.

Furthermore, none of us has spoken of intramuscular fat, but I propose that regional fat burning is a debate worthy of attention. Nonetheless, we are talking about subcutaneous fat.

fat is fat. The body burns in the same whay, no matter where it’s stored.

as if weight training wasn't resistance or something? Are you suggesting that no resistance training reduces cellulite?

as you may have noticed, i called it ‘resistance’ training. in fact, i called it ‘this type of ‘resistance’ training’

see? there are other types :rolleyes: as i said earlier, if you can do 15 reps for a large muscle group you are not using enough weight (resistance).
in general, 3-5 reps help build strength, 6-8 are good for hypertrophy and anything above 12 is aerobic conditioning.
if you want aerobic conditioning, go jogging outside.
i spent more time doing high reps with low weight than i dare mention here. yet my thighs were thin and blubbery. why?

because
a. my diet sucked and
b. i wasn’t stimulating any kind of muscle growth.

resistance training, the type where you struggle to get 6 reps out of it and can’t walk after your workout, is the thing to do. but it’s not everything. without a sound diet (about which there are enough threads here) you are undermining whatever gains you might get from heavy training. once i convinced my bod it wasn’t living in a ghetto during the nazi occupation (or guantanamo bay for a more modern reference) it actually turned nice on me and trimmed the thigh flab. the point is, you have to nourish the body and give it what it needs, not torture it.

I certainly disagree with the implication in your sentence that cellulite is reduced by diet alone. Now, your suggestion that diet "can" reduce cellulite in opposition to "this type of 'resistance' training, raises a question about other methods you did not mention.

i was talking about removing fluid from the cells by diet (in fact it’s intracellular fluid, not in the cell itself), which can help diminish the appearence of cellulite. it certainly isn’t fat burning.
fat burning you do by creating a calorie deficit (about which there are enought threads here, yawn). strength training – heavy weights, low reps – is of tremendous help, as having a solid muscle base to which the fat can hang on to makes the surface more smooth. simple as that.

Saeco Pink
07-19-2006, 05:46 PM
then go on eating crap like you did with your lightweight stuff and see it come back.

Like "I" did? You've mistaken me for someone else.

As for your accusation that I changed definitions, I will remind you that you made a blanket statement "you can't target fat loss, etc." I responded to your general statement. I should have made that clear in my response. Anyway, my use of the word "targeted" was in reference to the body part exercised (e.g., legs).

You are clearly opposed to high rep resistance workouts. Fine. However, simply because that type of exercise did not work for you does not mean that it is therefore unworthy of anyone else's use.

Also, I clearly said that a person can go as heavy as they desire. The focus is to make it high impact. This workout is NOT the same as going out on a run or bike ride, as you may know.

Miranda
07-19-2006, 09:24 PM
Like "I" did? You've mistaken me for someone else.

In English grammar, generic 'you' or indefinite 'you' is the use of the pronoun "you" to refer to an unspecified person. Generic one is the use of "one" in the same way.

In casual English, the second person pronoun "you" often takes on the additional role of a generic pronoun. In more formal speech, the pronoun "one" serves this function; but as a pronoun (notably not when it signifies the number 1), it is felt to be somewhat awkward, and is infrequently used outside the most formal styles.

As for your accusation that I changed definitions, I will remind you that you made a blanket statement "you can't target fat loss, etc." I responded to your general statement. I should have made that clear in my response.

in that one little sentence, i was referring to 'targeting fat loss' by exercise, which you cannot do. i should have made that clear in my response :rolleyes: if you want to see it that way, i was referring to targeting fat loss in general. but, as you were offering exercises to target fat loss, my comment could have been seen as nixing that very idea. in any case, we were talking about exercise. *phew*

then you made a referral to topical creams. topical creams aren't exercise, they are topical creams.

Anyway, my use of the word "targeted" was in reference to the body part exercised (e.g., legs).

. . .the body part spot reduced by exercise you mean:

These exercises are designed to slim the thighs, so in that vein, they are "spot reducing." Surely you all agree that aggressively working the legs is the sure way to sculpt that area of the body and reduce fat from that area.

i'm sorry, but this is nonsense. it simply does not work. not because i say it doesn't but because i have first-hand experience from doing it.

You are clearly opposed to high rep resistance workouts. Fine. However, simply because that type of exercise did not work for you does not mean that it is therefore unworthy of anyone else's use.

humans don't differ much physically. if one woman can't spot reduce due to the way the human body functions, the chances another one can is quite nil.

Kraftydog
07-24-2006, 03:14 PM
if you have estrogenic fat, which cellulite is a very strong indicator of, then topical yohimbine (which is an Alpha 2 adrenoceptor blocker) will help with local fat loss in that tissue.

topical yohimbine will help with stubborn estrogenic fat (because that fat is almost always high in A2 receptors- which is why its stubborn). Personally recommend Yohimburn ES, but there are several options.

echogirl
07-25-2006, 03:38 AM
Hi I'm new here, this is my first reply. I thought I would start here as I have had great results in almost completly eliminating my cellulite. The main thing that had helped me is my diet. I eat nothing artificial (if mother nature didn't make it, I don't want it.) I eat no dairy, or sugar (apart from fruit) and no wheat, and no sweetners of any kind(including splenda) I eat organic and I make sure my meat and eggs are free range. I drink 3 litters of water a day and will drink herbal tea (providing it has nothing artificial in it.) and green tea.I do not touch coffee or black tea. For flavor in my food I use fresh herbs and spices like basil, oregano, cummin, cilantro, paprika, what ever I like really, oh and garlic . For my fat I take udo's oil and extra virgin coconut oil (for the medium and long chain fatty acids.) I also take chlorella, it helps the body remove heavy metals & pesticides. As far as creams for the body, I don't go there anymore I now treat it as all my other organs (which it is of course) nothing artificial if I wouldn't put it inside I won't put it outside. I use extra virgin olive oil as body oil mixed w essential oils, you can find some that are good for treating celluite, juniper and rosemary are good ones. I lift three days a week and do cardio 2 days, as far as liftting goes I go heavy or I go home. Here is a typical food day for me.

meal 1- 1/2 c cooked organic quinoa with cinnamon and 1 small piece of organic friut, 1 whole and 3 whites free range organic eggs sauted w) onions,peppers zuccini & mushrooms(all organic).

meal 2- handful organic almonds, 1c steemed organic greens, 1/2 an organic cucmber & some celery sticks.

meal 3- 1 free range chicken breast, baked eggpland & 1/2 a sweet potato,
mixed green salad w tomato, peppers, carrots, green beans, cucumber, drizzled w lemmon juice, apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil ( again all of these things are organic.& 1tabl organic extra virgin coconut oil.

meal 4- 1/2 c organic pulse what ever I feel like that day, 1/2 c organic brown rice, chopped fresh basil, drizzled w balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.

meal 5- Chicken, fish or lean red meat grilled, free range of course. steemed organic green, spinach salad made w organic baby spinach leave and what ever chopped up fresh organic veg I feel like again w lemmon juice, apple cider vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, 1 tabl of udo's oil.

I find that this is enough protien for my needs and the results that I am looking for, however everyone is different and you may find it's not enough.
Hope this helps. I forgot to say I also dry body brush once a day.

Baja Muscle
07-26-2006, 06:01 PM
I was very intrigued as to how a simple request for help can lead to a full out war of words...lol.I just wanted to chime in quickly about the Thimoase creams.I live in Cancun Mexico right now and use this cream regularly as well as the not so popular and very expensive suppositories(spelling).So yes it is available here but as to availability North of the boarder I can't help there.The only help I can offer on the topic is just to do what seems to work for you and don't worry about the rest.Life in this sport is a struggle of wills...will I get lean,put on more size etc or will I fail?

FAILURE IS NEVER AN OPTION!!!!

Eat clean,train hard,see results...simple as that!!!

Good Luck In Your Quest.

nd2xtreme
07-26-2006, 09:40 PM
You can remove cellulite. It's just fat. If you get down to your lowest body fat percentage it will disappear. Muscle has to replace the fat.

Miranda
07-26-2006, 10:32 PM
I was very intrigued as to how a simple request for help can lead to a full out war of words...lol.

simple. tell people they can spot reduce by resistance exercise. spot reducing is a myth. to go one step further, i'd call it bull****.

Gibson Girl
07-27-2006, 04:58 AM
[QUOTE=Baja Muscle]I was very intrigued as to how a simple request for help can lead to a full out war of words...lol.QUOTE]

You are correct.... But the overall responses have been superb!!! I must say it has enlightened some of my understanding on the issue and to learn that there are other women who are having the same problem.

When I post the thread I was not looking for the great turn out :D

StlBarbie
07-27-2006, 05:16 AM
I totally agree with what Echo had to say.
I am 43 and have been an athlete for what seems like forever ... regardless of how "skinny" I was or what I lifted (reps and wts. didn't matter) or how far I ran or biked, I would have cellulite if my diet was not in check. For me to remain cellulite free, I must stay away from all breads, most dairy, too much starch (even in the form of veggies), sugar except those found in fruits, watch my sodium and avoid artificial anything! If I eat clean, I do not have cellulite, as soon as I get sloppy in my diet, it only takes a couple of weeks to show up!! :eek:
Just my personal experience here folks!! :)