PDA

View Full Version : Are protein bars terrible for you?

Leigh29
07-05-2006, 11:16 AM
I have heard that they are not the best choice that they are more like a candy bar but when I'm in a rush and need to get in some protein/carbs..there are days I don't have time to be mixing stuff so I just grab a protein bar, I like the Promax bars, but they are around 30g protein, 40g carbs and all these bars seem to be pretty high in fat around 9 - 11 g per bar. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone else uses protein bars on a regular basis and what your thoughts were.

northernbelle
07-05-2006, 11:46 AM
I don't think they are terrible, but they are not as good as real food by any means. I also use them for dire emergencies. I stick some in my purse when we are on the road, and my husband brings one to the golf course to keep him going. I have yet to find one that meets all needs. Also, I won't pay an arm and a leg for them, so I don't depend on them for nutrition.

imperfectly_lou
07-05-2006, 12:54 PM
I'm pretty sure the Promax bars are one of the highest in sugar....

babygotback2
07-05-2006, 04:07 PM
i try not to use them for the most part, out shopping for 6hours--pick up a protein bar :) but that's about it anymore. i seem to gain wt. on themm if i eat frequently. However, i do like the macros in the designer whey-detour ones
cal 150
carb 15
pro 14
...forget the rest, sorry!
~sarah

stealth_swimmer
07-05-2006, 04:12 PM
I like the Met-Rx Collossal or whatever they're called.

Fit_Darling
07-05-2006, 05:43 PM
Like what others have posted, real food is much better and protein bars are great as something to fall back on. Yes, I believe that you can regularly eat protein bars every day as long as you stay within your macro requirements. More than half of the protein bars out there are either too high in sugar/fat/calories, or they are double the serving size for most women. I allow myself to have only one per day, and still stay on track of my diet. I usually do not choose bars that exceed 300 calories, 10-12 grams of sugar, and 35 grams of carbs. If my bar lacks fiber, I will drink a fiber supplement along with eating the bar.

Promax bars are extremely high in sugar, so maybe these would be best used in long endurance sports that exceed a few hours, like hiking.

user438954890590
07-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Almost all of them are high in fructose corn syrup (which is not good for you). I have found that Luna bars have no fructose corn syrup in them, and have 10gr protein. Most bars really don't have that low of carbs if you are trying to cut carbs, get protein and satisfy hunger, just drink a protein shake, and eat something low in carbs like a rice cake.

ChrystalR
07-06-2006, 07:30 AM
Like already said, if you use them as a replacement for real food that's not a good thing - but as a fall back on, no biggie. Pure Protein makes a great bar that's low in sugar and in carbs but high in prot and flavor. My favorite is the chewy chocolate chip. If you're worried about what's in the bars make some yourself :) While it takes a whole 15-20 minutes to make them on one day of the week you can keep them in the fridge for the week or two and grab one when you think you'll need it! Check out the recipe thread for some ideas.

Leigh29
07-06-2006, 11:24 AM
Wow thanks so much for your imput ladies! I will definately take your advice and maybe try making my own after looking up some recipes. Thanks everyone! :)

Keep lifting!

combs08
07-06-2006, 03:05 PM
I LOVE the Powerbar Nut Naturals. They have no HFCS, 200-210 calories and 10 grams of healthy fats. They only have 10 grams of protein but combined with the fat, it gives me energy for a pretty long time.

-Combs-

MauiZos
07-07-2006, 08:27 PM
Yeah, I was just going to mention making your own. That way you can control exactly what's in them. There's some excellent recipes in the recipes thread.

My personal favorite is chocolate whey with oats and a touch of hazelnut butter... mmmmm... Reminds me of nutella, which I made myself give up a long time ago!

Megin
07-09-2006, 05:28 PM
I like them, darnit!

terracotta
07-09-2006, 05:33 PM
I like them, darnit!

LOL poor Megin ;)

moisy
07-09-2006, 05:44 PM
I think they are great for certain times when you are on the run and need to get some food into you. They are alot better than grabbing something quick at a fast food place - I like to carry a box of them in the car for those times when I need to have something to eat and am not near home and my nice fridge with clean food ... better than nothing!! lol My favourites would be Promax and the Trioplex bars - good flavours and ratios for me at least and they seem not to do any damage to me.

darkangel
07-10-2006, 09:37 AM
They are alot better than grabbing something quick at a fast food place...

There's the key. It's what my ex used to call "making better bad choices." LOL