PDA

View Full Version : Newbie with an intro...

.Heather.
07-05-2006, 08:50 AM
I am a 28 year old mother of five children, I am trying to get into better shape for myself and so that I can keep up with my children. My kids are age 9, 7, 3 yr old twins, and a 1 year old. I gained quite a bit of weight with the twins and also with the one year old.

I have used Weight Watchers for my weight loss after each pregnancy with some success but I feel that my muscles have suffered from lack of the appropriate nutrients. So, after several months of lurking around this board and taking in all of the wonderful information here I have decided to join in. Right now I am concentrating on cleaning up my diet and finding ways to fit a more balanced approach to nutrition into a very hectic lifestyle.

For fitness I have been doing cardio but I am looking into adding weights to my routines. I know I am definately lacking in this area.

So far I have made some progress with weight watchers but after each pregnancy I seem to get stuck where I am now so I'm looking for better options. After my one year old was born I weighed 165 pounds and I am currently down to 134 pounds. I'm 5'3" and I still have a lot to go.

Not much else to say except I look forward to meeting you all and learning from all of your experiences!

terracotta
07-05-2006, 08:53 AM
Hi there! I think you would get a lot of benefit from reading through Krista0610's journal..

you should also check out my website http://terracotta2.googlepages.com

.Heather.
07-05-2006, 10:51 AM
Thank you so much! Lots and lots of info... still reading up on it.

I've been reading up on Krista's journal, and you have given her some great advice... kudos to you! My goals are very similar to Krista's so I'll be sure to keep reading that as well.

What do you suggest for protein/carb/fat ratio if I'm wanting to loose fat and gain muscle?

Thanks again!

terracotta
07-05-2006, 11:18 AM
Well, a ratio will depend on how many cals you are planning to get, but most people do 40p/40c/20f or 50c/30p/20f.

.Heather.
07-05-2006, 12:21 PM
Well, from my experience while doing weight watchers, I was only consuming an average of 1200 calories. Sure I lost weight but eventually my body seemed to shut down and I stopped loosing weight (starvation mode) and I felt like crap.

So, from reading the links and stuff so far I think I'm going to try for 1500 cal per day. And I seem to feel better with a higher protein intake so I'm going to aim for the 40p/40c/20f that you mentioned.

again.... still reading - and taking notes :)

terracotta
07-05-2006, 12:55 PM
yeah, I wouldn't go below 1500! And make sure you have a high calorie day at least once per week where you eat at least at maintenance (which will be different for each individual but typically isnt lower than 1800 cals).

.Heather.
07-05-2006, 01:07 PM
Thanks, I will add a high calorie day in as well. I want to start with a weight routine, any good suggestions for a beginner?

I don't currently have a gym membership, but with my schedule and five kids I don't think I would make it there anyway. So, I do have access to my friend's weight system, almost just like this one: http://www.iconfitness.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prmenbr=979&prrfnbr=966940

What's the best way to start out for a beginner? Any suggestions?

terracotta
07-05-2006, 01:23 PM
If you are limited to such a machine, I would suggest simply doing a full body workout.. your friend should be able to show you the exercises :)

.Heather.
07-05-2006, 01:37 PM
hmmmm... "limited" makes that machine sound like a bad choice. Any other suggestions? Would free weights at home be a better option?

terracotta
07-05-2006, 01:44 PM
you see.. if you try freeweights for a while, then go back to machines you realize that the range of motion on most machines is awful :( - there are a couple exceptions but..

I highly recommend free weights (esp. if you have the room in your home to expand your equipment). I only work off of free weights myself (I MUCH prefer working out at home).

I've written out what I recommend for starting equipment at http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/settingupahomegym

I started with an exercise ball, adjustable dbs and a bench, and after a few months when I had proved to myself I was dedicated, I bought a squat rack and a bar.. I absolutely LOVE it!

IBBAdmin
07-05-2006, 03:05 PM
Good luck on your quest, you have a ton of information from all the experience female members here .

~Lisa~
07-05-2006, 08:52 PM
Hi Heather, glad you've come out of lurking and joined in!! Welcome. :) I'm a mom, too, tho I only have two kids. Mine are 7 & 12.

Have you considered starting a journal yourself? I just started one recently, and have already gained SO MUCH encouragement and information! The ladies here are really phenomenal. :D Then you can post pictures, your food each day and your workouts and get the best help possible, because we'll have all the information!

Have fun! And it sounds like you're on the right path to transformation!

slyng
07-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I agree with Terracotta on the freeweights.

I saw much more progress and a huge increase in motivation (and fun) when I started doing free weight work (especially squats and deads with an Olympic bar:D). However, don't be discouraged - machines are wayyyy better than nothing and we all still use them!

LiftingIsLife
07-05-2006, 09:23 PM
hmmmm... "limited" makes that machine sound like a bad choice. Any other suggestions? Would free weights at home be a better option?

free weights are ALMOST ALWAYS a better option than machines. as
terra c said, the range of motion with most machines 'is awful'. however,
even more importantly, when you use 'just' machines, you are truly
robbing yourself of getting the most out of your muscles and body as
a whole. why? its quite simple, actually, when you think about the
'mechanics' involved in using a machine.
by design, the 'machine' provides direct 'stabilization' in all force directions
except for the primary movement vector. in laymans terms, this means that
except for the actual direction of movement that is allowed by the machine, all other support is provided by the machine (and NOT by YOUR muscles). For example, lets look at the 'seated bench press' machine. this machine is
designed to simlulate 'free weight benching'. only problem is, with the machine, you ONLY have to provide a direct force in the only direction it allows you to (straight out from your chest area, perpendicular to your
bdoy). that means, the muscles which you normally use to stablize the
weights, and GRIP the weights, when using free weights, now are NOT used at all with the machines!!
and, your CNS (central nervous system) ALSO knows this, and isnt required to adapt.
all in all, machines are a 'poor mans' free weight system.

best,
~lifer

.Heather.
07-06-2006, 06:29 AM
Thank you all for the great welcome and advice about the weights... I think I'm going to try to start out with the weight machine and after I prove to myself that I CAN do this, I'll invest in some good free weights for home.

I did start a journal and hopefully this will get me going.

Thanks again ladies, there is so much to learn around here, I'm still reading and hope to learn alot from here.