PDA

View Full Version : Contemplating stoppping cardio..

PRiSM92289
07-04-2006, 05:05 PM
Right now I do a 3 day split between monday, wedsday, and friday, and I do cardio tuesday, thursday, and saturday with rest on sundays. I can't really see any benefit to cardio other than creating negative calories, ie: If my goal is to eat 1700 calories a day, but I eat 2200, then I can do cardio to subtract 500 calories. If I quit cardio on weekdays then I could do a 5 day split which would take less time than my 3 day split and I would do cardio only on Saturdays (and possibly sundays). I can't do cardio after lifting, it just doesn't go over well, especially if I did leg extensions or squats.

Should I stop? Thoughts?

RockSolidX
07-04-2006, 05:21 PM
Cardio is the backbone of a healthy life style, Cardio speeds up the heart more then lifting weights. Don't get me wrong, lifting weights also helps you lose weight also. If you are lifting 3 days and cardio three days, maybe you should take another rest day. Working out to much without a rest will actually slow down the process of losing weight, believe it or not. high volume cardio training along with constant lifting depresses testosterone. overtraining depresses free testosterone lvls hich produce catobolic hormones such as cortisol. And cortisol can actually put a halt in your training progress. So avoid overtraining, because you will not see the results you want. I would suggest that you drop a day or two out of your workout schedule, six days may be a little too much, becuase your muscles need a chance to recuperate. Running burns those calories and causes a deterioration in fat cells, so keep that in your exercize plan. Mix your schedule up a little so it does not get old. If you want to bulk, do more weight training then cardio, but give cardio its proper place, if you want to lose fat and see definition, give cardio the edge. But by all means keep cardio in your exersize routine, and eat a balanced diet. :)

(Catobolic Hormone Information Provided By Fitness RX)

Hope that helps :)

Rock

Baboun
07-04-2006, 05:44 PM
I don't think overtraining would stop "losing weight". So if I train 6 days a week, the guy that play computer all day long and eat chicken wings will have the same results as me ? My personnal experiences with overtraining is that my friend used to train 2hrs a day, 7 days a week, he got ripped to hell, as big muscles, but wasnt lifting really high, that's it! I guess it depends on the people, and maybe if he was resting more, he could have seen bigger results, but anyways, overtraining looks good to lose "fat"! But isn't good to gain muscle. Well this is coming from my point of view, I don't know if it's true :( I hope it is because I train 6 days a week lol, I already lost 5 lbs in 5 days.

Pic of my friend after 1 year of overtraining: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v154/Zealock/Ripped.jpg he's 18 y/o

RockSolidX
07-04-2006, 05:57 PM
Healthy weight loss is 3 to 4 pounds a week, it is proven in studies that overtraining is harmful. If your getting good results from it, good. But watch out because research is against overtraing. It wont stop you from losing weight it will just slow the process down because of the cortisol overproduction. Thats not my opinoin it comes from Fitness RX. Anyways this thread is to talk about him dropping cardio, overtraining is a side issue.