PDA

View Full Version : Slightly embarrassing

pltwife
07-03-2006, 01:45 PM
So, I have been trying to figure out what is triggering this, but I am getting bloated with gas. It comes on VERY quickly and my entire stomach starts to fill up with air bubbles. I can feel them "pop" and bubble in my stomach. My stomach will distend and it is extremely painful. Eventually, it goes away. I am trying to see if a certain food group is causing this. So far, I find that it happens after vegetables, soy products, and if I eat too much Splenda. Anyone have this happen? What causes yours? I get confused because it isnt consistent. I can eat a huge salad and feel fine and the next day eat a piece of lettuce and blow up. I bought Stevia today to see if that helps rather than using Splenda (I use about 4-5 packets a day between coffee and oats). I drink a TON of water. Not sure what to do. I am going to keep a log and see if there is a pattern. Maybe I am allergic to something? It would be terrible if I couldn't eat veggies! Thanks in advance.

terracotta
07-03-2006, 01:51 PM
If you get it with the splenda, definately stop consuming splenda. As for veggies, get some Udo's digestive enzymes. You can probably just avoid soy as well.

pltwife
07-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Where do you get Udo's brand? I can't find it. Do they sell it at naturla grocery stores or at GNC?

WillDeadliftForFood
07-03-2006, 01:57 PM
I always feel bloated with soy.

I agree with Terra. Buy some digestive enzymes. They help me if I take down too much whey at once, or if I eat too big a meal.

Regular enzyme blends are fairly inexpensive, and can be found nearly anywhere vitamins are sold. I get mine from GNC.

terracotta
07-03-2006, 02:09 PM
I get the Udo's enzymes online. You only need 1 cap per meal - I know a few people who tried cheaper brands and found they had to take 3 caps per meal to get the same effect.

sherdi
07-03-2006, 06:00 PM
Also make sure you chew your food well and try not to take in any air while chewing...this goes for carbonated drinks too as they are not good for the digestion and can cause wind/bloating...make sure you are also relaxed when you eat....always a good idea to take a few breaths before eating and really savor the experience...eating whilst stressed can also hinder digestion.

mommy*2*3
07-04-2006, 05:47 AM
I have the same problem from protein powders. There are only a few brands that don't cause problems for me so if you are taking in protein powder try to eliminate it for a while and see what happens. Some artificial sweeteners have also caused prblems for me. Splenda doesn't, but may cause problems for you. I would recommend eliminating one thing at a time until you figure out what it is that's causing you discomfort.

I agree on the digestive enzymes...they are great and I do like to supplement with those sometimes as well.

deeyala
07-04-2006, 06:52 AM
i highly doubt it has anything to do with food- i often have that ,too- and usually,if not always i can link it to a streesful situation...
think about it, is it triggered by transient emotional stress ? eg; waiting for the bus for far too long and not knowing if you're going to get to work on time..

dpd555
07-04-2006, 07:16 AM
Also make sure you chew your food well and try not to take in any air while chewing...this goes for carbonated drinks too as they are not good for the digestion and can cause wind/bloating...make sure you are also relaxed when you eat....always a good idea to take a few breaths before eating and really savor the experience...eating whilst stressed can also hinder digestion.

This is very true...stress can cause this and not chewing enough.
Also, you mentioned drinking a TON of water. If you do this after a meal you'll dilute enzymes and push food through your GI tract too fast. This causes undigested food to reach the large intestine too fast and bacteria have a field day, causing the bloating and gas.
Try chugging your water 15 or 20 minutes before eating a meal...if you are not already.

pltwife
07-04-2006, 09:05 AM
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I don't use protein powder currently but when I was it didnt seem to bother me. I do tend to drink a lot of water after my meal so I will try to cut back a little. I will try to pay more attention to my chewing...I'm sure I can improve that one. As for stress? That definitly is a cause of it at times, however it does come along other times without stress. But I totally agree that every time I get erally stressed out it happens.