PDA

View Full Version : I just bought my first bottle of EFA...help

pltwife
07-03-2006, 01:41 PM
So, I tried to fine UDO but couldnt. The pharmacist at my local pharmacy/healthfood/supplement store suggested "Health from the Sun"-The Total EFA. It has Omega 3-6-9 in it. He and his girlfriend use this brand and say that they feel better and can tell that it is helping their joints, hair, skin, nails, etc. It says to take three capsules a day..that seems like a lot! Here is the supplement facts for 3 capsules:
calories: 40
fat: 3.5
sat fat .5
cholesterol: 10mg
protein: 1g
Vitamin E: 15 IU
Alpha Linolenic Acid(omega 3) 675mg
Eicosapentaenoic Acid "(omega 3) 338mg
Docasahexaenoic Acid (omega 3) 233mg
Gamma-Linolenic Acid (omega 6) 270mg
Linoleic Acid (omega 6) 615mg
Oleic Acid (omega 9) 510mg

What do you think? Where within my meals would I add the capsules? Should I take all 3?

terracotta
07-03-2006, 01:48 PM
I would take 6 caps a day.. but next time just get the omega 3 caps. We get plenty of omega 6's in our diets already, and most people are only deficient in the omega 3's. They don't have to be Udo's brand. They should say "omega 3" or "fish oil" and say that they have 180 mg EPA 120 mg DHA per capsule. Most are of this type.

pltwife
07-03-2006, 01:55 PM
6 a day! Holy cow. When do I take them? All at once or at meals?

terracotta
07-03-2006, 02:07 PM
Take them with meals - I usually take 3 at a time in whichever meals are lower in fats. I suggest either doing 3 and 3 or 2,2,2.

J.Bo
07-04-2006, 07:47 PM
I would take 6 caps a day.. but next time just get the omega 3 caps. We get plenty of omega 6's in our diets already, and most people are only deficient in the omega 3's. They don't have to be Udo's brand. They should say "omega 3" or "fish oil" and say that they have 180 mg EPA 120 mg DHA per capsule. Most are of this type.

Sorry to interrupt here but since you were on this topic I thought I'd jump in and ask a related one. Hope you don't mind. I've been taking Health from the Sea PFO pure fish oil (this is my 1st bottle of this) sounded good but really don't know what I'm looking for. I've only been taking the suggested 3 caps a day (morn,aft,night) Ingredients are for 1 soft gel :
Calories: 10 cals from fat : 10
Cholesterol : 5mg and
Fish oil : 1000 mg
Omega-3 EPA (180mg)
Omega-3 DHA (120mg)
Should I be taking more than 3 caps also. How many according to what's in it?Don't really know enough about EFA's except that I need to be taking them and they are good for you. Hope I wasn't out of line jumping in just thought it stupid to start the same thread. Thanks in advance.

terracotta
07-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Sorry to interrupt here but since you were on this topic I thought I'd jump in and ask a related one. Hope you don't mind. I've been taking Health from the Sea PFO pure fish oil (this is my 1st bottle of this) sounded good but really don't know what I'm looking for. I've only been taking the suggested 3 caps a day (morn,aft,night) Ingredients are for 1 soft gel :
Calories: 10 cals from fat : 10
Cholesterol : 5mg and
Omega-3 EPA (180mg)
Omega-3 DHA (120mg)
Should I be taking more than 3 caps also. How many according to what's in it?Don't really know enough about EFA's except that I need to be taking them and they are good for you. Hope I wasn't out of line jumping in just thought it stupid to start the same thread. Thanks in advance.

That's what you want to see:
Omega-3 EPA (180mg)
Omega-3 DHA (120mg)

so you are fine.. you should be taking 6 capsules, unless you consume fatty fish like salmon in your diet each day (most ppl do not).

Fish oil info - http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/generalhealthsupplementation

J.Bo
07-05-2006, 06:49 AM
Ok thanx Terra. So do you skip a dose or just cut it in half on a day you may be eating something like Salmon? I was eating it 2 X's a week for a little while then I got sick (nothing to do w/ the fish) but sort of lost my appetite for it since. But I might try to start eating it on occasion sometime soon.

terracotta
07-05-2006, 07:00 AM
My cans of salmon are 213 g (7.5 oz) undrained and per can have 6 grams of omega 3 oils and 380 cals. So if you eat 1/2 can a day, you still need 3 fish oil caps.