PDA

View Full Version : Busy Nurse needs mid meal ideas

lilnurse
07-02-2006, 11:27 AM
I have taken on a "fit" lifestyle about 3 yrs ago. I am trying to lean down, decrease body fat. But my occupation is killing it.
I am a Nurse and I run around ALL day long. I often find myself trying to chug water and eat 2 cheese sticks and a piece of fruit while I sit on the toilet, because I only have enough time to do one or the other.. or this alternative.. all at once :) I am falling completely off my daily meal plan b/c of time loss and water loss. I find I get home and raid my fridge b/c my cal intake has been so low, or my meals have been too far apart. I am trying to find a good quick mid meal replacements (bars, recipes, shakes etc) that I can either eat fast or keep in my pocket to munch on. Any ideas?

Any ideas on how I can get my water intake too??

Thanks for your input

txssweetie
07-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Urgh! I have this exact same problem. I work in retail so I'm running about all day and by the time I get home, I completely raid the fridge and pantry! I hate it.

RussianBlue
07-02-2006, 05:18 PM
I am sure you guys try to pack your meals for the day?
Well, I have an office job, so I don't really have an issue here. I pack everything, fix my oatmeal at home, and then eat everything cold. I am just too lazy to run to the microwave back and forth...

Anyway, you could put cold chicken in zip loc bags and put those in your lab coat. Same with veggies...I know it could get messy.

Don't you guys have scheduled breaks??

pltwife
07-02-2006, 06:01 PM
There are some recipes for homemade "protein bars" on the site here. They are better than the ones you'd buy as they don't contain sugar. Also, I just made protein pancakes for the first time yesterday and they are portable and easy to eat quickly. There are tons of recipes for them, but here is what I did yesterday: 1/4c oats (grind in food processor), 4 egg whites (whipped), a little vanilla, cinnamon, and 1 pkt splenda. I whisk this all together and cook like a pancake. It was fantastic warm last night and then I had one cold today. I added some milk to it to make it into a better meal. You could also add peanut butter on it or fresh fruit with it. Next time I may use more oats to increase the cals.

Other ideas: keep a baggie of almonds in your pocket, cheese sticks, cut up an apple ahead of time and grab a slice or two while writing in charts, whey powder mixed with milk or water (you can chug that down in a second or two)

I work in a hospital as well, so I know what you mean by having no time to even use the bathroom!

sherdi
07-02-2006, 06:58 PM
Some good suggestions...here are some more:

Chopped up chicken breast and veggies with nuts (chop into bite sized pieces for easiness).
Homemade protein slice, muffins, bread etc.
Chopped fruit, low fat cheese, nuts
Packet tuna and salmon, eated with spoon straight out of the packet
Homemade protein pudding in tub add some nuts on top
Yoghurt in tubs with nuts and fruit etc.
Also, if you are really having problems with these, maybe bought shakes might be the answer but you wouldn't want to depend on them. However, better than nothing!!! You could make your own with fatfree milk and protein powder in a shaker bottle and sip while you walk!

Hope these suggestions help. Good luck!

txssweetie
07-02-2006, 07:26 PM
You guys are awesome, thank you! Those sound like great ideas

And Sherdi, thanks for coming up with that list, I'm definitely gonna have to try some of those!

lilnurse
07-04-2006, 05:22 PM
I have tried some of these. But many are great ideas.
We do get scheduled breaks.... in theory. But I'm ICU.. someone's dropping BP won't wait for me to eat lol :) I guess thats good for them, bad for me :P

Thanks again, I'm gonna give a few of these a try when I grocery shop for next week. And thanks for the recipe too.

Fit_Darling
07-05-2006, 04:52 PM
Just another suggestion: peanut butter, or any nut butter. A super quick snack in between meals could be a quick tablespoon or two. Its not the most complete meal, but if you adjust your other meals in the day to have your fats like this, it will work out fine.