PDA

View Full Version : hello lovely people :)

Lisa_Marie
07-02-2006, 12:19 PM
Hope everybodies fine and doing well...
i've been thinking about taking a sports drink either before or during my weight training workout. the reason why i say this is because my blood sugar levels have been low recently but i am not diabetic! i don't think i am as well as i have had many blood tests recently and they have all come back fine; according to the tests i am perfectly healthy. but after i went bike riding the other day, i took my blood sugar level and it came to 4.5. the other time i did it it was a couple of hours after breakfast, bout 3 or 4 hours after and boy i felt really un well. i felt really depressed, tired, cold, pale and my blood sugar level came to 4.2. personally i believe that it can be helped just by eating every three hours and taking in a sports drink after my exercise sessions but i hear that it just leads to crashes, is this so? also, if i did do this would i need carbs post workout?
thanks i know this may sound like a strange question, i am going to go to my doc with this but i think he'll just say the same and in case your wondering, i took my sugar level as my dad was taking his at the time and he just asked if i'd like to try it... just thought i'd mention this...
again thank you very much for the help.

Psycho445
07-02-2006, 01:47 PM
I think a lot of that could be if you are not eating properly pre-workout. What type of carbs are you getting before?

Lisa_Marie
07-02-2006, 02:39 PM
well, i am eating really well. before my workout i either have a wholemeal sandwich and fruit or something slow releasing.

Psycho445
07-02-2006, 03:34 PM
You could try increasing the amount of wholewheat bread, or adding something like oatmeal.

Fructose, one of the main sugars in fruit, has some interesting proterties in terms of exercising. While exercising, fructose encourages your body to burn fatty acids over fructose more so than other sugars. This can normally be very good, but in your situation, that may not be completely beneficial.

If eating a 1-1.5 cups of oatmeal does not work, drinking something like gatorade is fine. I'm usually not a big fan of sports drinks because I think people drink them too quickly, spiking their insulin and actually causing blood sugar to crash even further.