PDA

View Full Version : sad

fawn
06-30-2006, 09:45 PM
I have problems with menstruating...because i don't menstruate on my own not unless i took some hormone replacement therapy.

Nothing seemed to be wrong w/ my tests, but the only culprit i think (and my doctor too) is i'm lifting too heavy weights.

I ask my doctor how come some women lift weights yet they are normal (menstruation), she said that it might be possible that my body wasn't that mature when i started lifting weights.

She asked me to drop the number of days doing weight training and lift lighter weights instead.

Will this affect the muscle i've gained for the past 3-4 yrs of hard work?

I'm not exactly have buling muscle, but i considered myself toned, and i can see the cuts on my arms.

Please advice.. thanks! :)

Gibson Girl
07-01-2006, 05:27 AM
Lifting lighter will not cause you to lose muscles. Instead, of lifting heavy drop the weights by 20 - 25 lbs and add more reps to your training. If you decide later to lift heavy then lower your reps. Rather, doing 10 - 15 reps you can do 6-8.

Your health and listening to your doctor is important. So stay postive and you will come out a winner.

OldEnuf2BYoMama
07-01-2006, 07:22 AM
what kinds of tests have you had? My niece (who does not lift) had period problems and it turned out to be in her pituitary gland! She now takes some sort of medication that helps her have regular periods. If you are not supplementing and do not have huge bulging muscles from the training you do, I might get a second opinion from another doctor.....just an idea.

ginabear05
07-01-2006, 07:25 AM
I would get a 2nd opinion too. I don't see how lifting heavy weights could affect your period like that. Now, I know that when a woman's bodyfat drops too low she can lose her period. Good luck, hope you find out what's wrong.

WillDeadliftForFood
07-01-2006, 12:41 PM
See my post here for the bodyfat/birth control/lost periods discussion.

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showpost.php?p=10528954&postcount=60

My question: what doctor is telling you this? General practicioner or an OB/GYN? If it's a GP, I'd recommend going to your OB. And remember, there's no shame in going for a second opinion. This is YOUR health; get a consensus rather than trusting just one source.

Your idea is still quite feasible. I wouldn't doubt that heavy lifting could make some women lose a period. You have to think of it in these terms: having regular periods represents that a body is capable of producing young. If for some reason the environment makes it impractical to have a child (high stress, low food, etc.) the body won't waste its time making the body receptive to fertilization. If the lifting is taxing enough, or intense enough to upset your hormones, then your body may interpret this as too hostile an environment to risk pregnancy.

SexyChic
07-01-2006, 01:55 PM
See my post here for the bodyfat/birth control/lost periods discussion.

My question: what doctor is telling you this? General practicioner or an OB/GYN? If it's a GP, I'd recommend going to your OB. And remember, there's no shame in going for a second opinion. This is YOUR health; get a consensus rather than trusting just one source.

Your idea is still quite feasible. I wouldn't doubt that heavy lifting could make some women lose a period. You have to think of it in these terms: having regular periods represents that a body is capable of producing young. If for some reason the environment makes it impractical to have a child (high stress, low food, etc.) the body won't waste its time making the body receptive to fertilization. If the lifting is taxing enough, or intense enough to upset your hormones, then your body may interpret this as too hostile an environment to risk pregnancy.

Good post :)

fawn
07-01-2006, 10:42 PM
My doctor is an OB gyne who speciliazes in reproductive endocrinologist.

Having pituitary tumor is out of the question, since i already had a xray in a part of my skull, and the doctor didn't see anything suspicious there.

OldEnuf2BYoMama oh, i had dozesn of tests: from LH/FSH, estrogen level, Insulin, Prolactin,etc etc. Too many that i forgot what they were. Most of the results are very low.

Accdg to my doctor My brain doesn't give enough signal to stimulate my hormones in order for my ovaries to produce eggs

I know i don't have a low body fat (though i didn't test for one) i'm 5'2 weighs between 47-48 kg

i've been to other doctors and some said that my body didnt' mature enough to menstruate on my own (even if i was regular before)

This is all so getting confusing. I guess i have to try reducing the weights.. should i go for 15reps instead of 12 for 3 sets? And how many exercises per muscle group?

WillDeadliftForFood
07-02-2006, 02:02 AM
What's your entire routine? Cardio? Other physical activity?

fawn
07-02-2006, 03:38 PM
MOnday: aerobics class 1 hour + cardio machines 45min
Tuesday: abs, chest, bi -- total 1.5 hrs
Wed: Swimming 45min
Thurs: abs, back, tri -- total 1.5hrs
Fri: rest
Sat: abs, legs, shoulder -- total 1.5 hrs
sunday: rest

I do around 5 exercises for big muscles; 4 for small muscles

Is it too much? or maybe the heaviness/ intensity of my workout that is causing the problem.... BTW, i'm already 26 Yrs old

dirtyblonde
07-21-2006, 04:43 PM
I went 2 1/2 years without a period, after previously having it regularly. When I started training hard (running alot and lifting weights) I lost it. Then my life began to revolve around my job, and I ran less and trained easier and gained back some fat, and 3 years later I have a regular cycle.

WillDeadliftForFood
07-21-2006, 09:23 PM
Were you having regular periods at all in your life?

fawn
07-21-2006, 09:29 PM
dirtyblonde did you see a doctor? did you take any medication?

Yes, i was regular since i started having my period...

dirtyblonde
07-22-2006, 04:29 AM
Fawn-
I did see three different gynocologists, and each did tests to see if my pituitary gland was all right, as well as everything else. They couldn't figure it out, which made me very frustrated. They gave me birth contol to try and start it, but nothing happened. Right now I'm heavier than I would like to be or think I should be, but I'm afraid that If I lose weight I won't have a cycle.

TinyTexan
07-22-2006, 05:55 AM
Sorry for being a guy and giving my imput but i think it is just the stress the body goes through. I girl friend of mine, when she starts dieting for shows her period will change. Sometimes she will go months without it and then sometimes she will have one every two weeks. I am by no means an expert and do not even claim to understand since I am a guy but I just know from her and other ladies and what dieting, lifting, and competing does to the body by throwing it all out of whack. I , persoanly, take what most doctors say with a grain of salt because they are not trained in the field of sport physiology and what the body goes through and what is normal and not for for those of us that exercise and lift hard. But once again I am not an expert, it is just my opinion and being in this sport for 10 years and listening to doctors tell me all kind of BS and blaming it on my lifestyle of lifting.

THis is my opinion for what it is worth.

Heather6869
07-22-2006, 07:50 AM
I lost mine about 3 years ago when I was over exercizing and under eating. Since then I have gained about 10 pounds back and cut way back on exercizing and still have not got it. I have had too many tests done to list but nothing came up abnormal. I got so aggravated with coming up empty handed and dishing out all this money for doctor bills that I am just letting it be- it if comes it comes. May not be the best solution but it works for me.

catbaloous
07-22-2006, 08:22 AM
I too had very irregular cycles when I was training hard and dieting. I have eased off within the last 6 weeks. I am still waiting for it to be normal again. I agree with WDLFF that my body sees it as a hostile environment for fertilizing. Before that, my periods were like clockwork.

WillDeadliftForFood
07-22-2006, 10:32 AM
A lot of people don't realize that adipose (fat) tissue is active in the regulation of hormones. It stores estrogen, contains chemicals that convert testosterone to estrodiols. This isn't just gunk that sits around and weighs you down; it has significant impact on the functioning of your body.

Women who aren't physiologically suited to low bodyfat needed a higher % to have all systems functioning optimally. In some cases (not all) women in this lifestyle will have to decide whether they want a proper menstrual cycle and proper hormone balance or to have lower bodyfat and high definition. I'm not telling any of your which one to choose; people just need to have the full story before they make their decision.

BlondeAmazon
07-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I am 40 so I am not sure how much thisd pertains to your situation. But 16 years ago I started taking depo and my periods stopped. At age 40 (last sept) my doctor said I had to go OFF the shots and onto the pill to regulate my period as it was no longer safe for me to be on the shots. It was also the same time I increased my exercise and lifting regime and I hit the weights REALLY heavy and packed on a crapload of muscle. My bf is 14.35 or so right now and I still have no periods. When I asked my doctor about it she told me that due to my diet/exercise program I have probably sabatoged my body into a "non-safe" baby making machine- so to speak such as "willliftforfood" has pointed out. Your exercise routine does not seem extreme at all- but perhaps you might want to look at your calorie intake or diet plan? Maybe a nutritionist can help you? I am 40 so I just thank GOD that I dont have periods as I am not looking to have more children. But I hope you find your answers and get yourself some piece of mind. Just my 2 cents and Good Luck..

WillDeadliftForFood
07-22-2006, 11:56 AM
^^^^

Depo shots are evil. The more we study them, the more we see the harm in them.

Glad you're off the shots.

BlondeAmazon
07-22-2006, 05:10 PM
Well I was on the um whats it called- the arm tube things (they banned them too) for 10 years then depo for the last 5-6 years- Actually I loved not having a period myself- sure saved the hassle- no PMS- no cramping- no nothing- if I never have another one I will be happy as can be-- but I have bone disorders and I understand that depo strips your system of calcium- not sure what my long term effects will be but I take massive supplements for it now so hopefully I will be ok.

fawn
07-22-2006, 11:20 PM
dirtyblonde you said that you're heavier now (and you have your period back w/ that weight), how heavy is that, are you mascular?

TinyTexan thanks for that input, i know i should listen to my doctor, but its heard, once you think you'll loose all the work you did in the past years...

Heather6869 i'm sorry to hear that even if you gained weight, ur period still doesn't come on its own. I"m afraid i will have that same problem :(

BlondeAmazon yes, i don't think i'm stress w/ the exercise i've been doing. As for my food intake. i'm sure its not too low... I eat a lot actually, well its more on veggies :)

WillDeadliftForFood
07-23-2006, 12:26 AM
As for my food intake. i'm sure its not too low... I eat a lot actually, well its more on veggies :)

It's not food volume; it's calories and macro's.

MauiZos
07-23-2006, 04:04 PM
^^^^
Depo shots are evil. The more we study them, the more we see the harm in them.

I agree!!! I would NEVER recommend that anyone take that stuff. I was on depo for 6 years until my doctor finally made me stop. Apparently it prevents your bones from absorbing calcium and it is not safe to take for any more than 5 years. Because I started on it at 14, I didn't realize all the effects it was having on my body until I stopped since I'd never really known anything different. I had no periods, which is common (and I was actually quite happy about). But it also killed my sex drive and caused me to pack on a lot of weight.

My periods returned within about 6 months of going off depo and I stayed quite regular for about 2 years when I was between 22% and 27% BF. Now that I am lifting more and doing heaps of cardio, my BF has dropped to 14% and my cycles are getting messed up again. I seem to be on a 6 week cycle now - which, by the way, caused me to PANIC the first few months and take a few unnecessary pregnancy tests! haha...

I realize everyone is different, but what is the approximate level of BF at which women start losing their periods?

WillDeadliftForFood
07-23-2006, 05:10 PM

BigStew
07-23-2006, 05:12 PM
Your not toned, you have muscle. Muscle doesn't tone, it either grows or it doesn't.

Second, I don't understand how heavy weights have caused you to stop having your period. Are you at a low bodyfat?

WillDeadliftForFood
07-23-2006, 05:33 PM
Your not toned, you have muscle. Muscle doesn't tone, it either grows or it doesn't.

Second, I don't understand how heavy weights have caused you to stop having your period. Are you at a low bodyfat?

By "toned" she's implying a decent level of fitness but not having enough muscle to be considered "built".

Heavy lifting is stressful to the body. Lots of hormone fluctuations coincide with heavy lifting, and repetitive stimulation of the pituitary (which governs many of these hormones) through weight training, coupled with abnormal stress at home, certain illnesses, and diet can alter its normal functioning, causing a disregulation of the menstrual cycle in women. That's just one possibility of many.

danaeoyler
07-23-2006, 06:45 PM
I also lost my period well over 4 years ago...I have been to way to many doctors-gained weight, cut way back on dieting/excersizing and i am Also VERY frustrated because everyone always tells me the same thing (your still to lean,you need to STOP working out!! but i am still not having a peroid.. and i do want to have babies... so i don't know what else to do... i can't affod any more doctors visits!

CarolinaGurl
07-23-2006, 07:37 PM
I have problems with menstruating...because i don't menstruate on my own not unless i took some hormone replacement therapy.

Nothing seemed to be wrong w/ my tests, but the only culprit i think (and my doctor too) is i'm lifting too heavy weights.

I ask my doctor how come some women lift weights yet they are normal (menstruation), she said that it might be possible that my body wasn't that mature when i started lifting weights.

She asked me to drop the number of days doing weight training and lift lighter weights instead.

Will this affect the muscle i've gained for the past 3-4 yrs of hard work?

I'm not exactly have buling muscle, but i considered myself toned, and i can see the cuts on my arms.

Please advice.. thanks! :)
My sister in law had the same poblem you did but for her it turned out to be her testosterone levels were naturally too high no other reason. Once that was taken care of she concieved and had her son with no issues.

CarolinaGurl
07-23-2006, 07:47 PM
I would love to know exactly what she is calipering out at because women are not very good at physical self perception as to how lean they really are.

I am just below 15% right now and I still feel like I look fat (mind you I just got finished with a BB comp last night thats why I am so lean) she may be a lot leaner than she realizes especially if she naturally doesn't carry a lot of BF to begin with.

~T

fawn
07-23-2006, 10:03 PM
i havn't tested for my real body fat, but i don't think i'm below 18% I think probably around 20 ?!?!

danaeoyler
07-24-2006, 02:37 AM
I think i might be around 17-18 % bf...... but the problem is that I am barley 5 ft tall! and any more bf on my small muscular frame will make me look too blocky (i use to weigh 102lbs but now I pretty much stay around 112-115)
maybe i just need to loose my muscle in order to bring bf up enough to have my period again??? i don't really know?

darkangel
07-24-2006, 11:14 AM
i havn't tested for my real body fat, but i don't think i'm below 18% I think probably around 20 ?!?!

You need to stop guessing and find out for sure. Bodyfat percentage is key to normal hormone production, as has already been mentioned several times. Are you getting enough healthy fats in your diet - nuts, avacado, olive, fish and flax oils?

fawn
07-24-2006, 10:01 PM
You need to stop guessing and find out for sure. Bodyfat percentage is key to normal hormone production, as has already been mentioned several times. Are you getting enough healthy fats in your diet - nuts, avacado, olive, fish and flax oils?

i take fish oil supplement after lunch. Will that suffice?

imperfectly_lou
07-24-2006, 10:24 PM
You should take 6-9g of it daily, split into 3 doses.

WillDeadliftForFood
07-25-2006, 12:09 AM
i take fish oil supplement after lunch. Will that suffice?

Doubtful. Fats are necessary for hormone production; all kinds but trans are needed, including saturated.

30-A rider
07-25-2006, 09:47 AM

:)

My .02: BULL****. If your doc stated she believes your irregular menstal cycle is due to weight lifting I say Bull****. Thats a typical Md answer when they dont have any other answer. Its like when a doc says your have a Virus...next time ask what actually is a virus. Fact is although
Viruses do exist, without specific bllod tests one cant identify it and MDs all the time use that term instead of saying Im not sure!

As others have said on here too low of body fat etc can cause your probelm but never have I seen any research that suggests weight training of any level can cause irregualrities with ones cycle.

MD's have next to no exercise physiology! Id actuall say NONE, but Im not absolutely sure. Your MD doesnt know. Find a new Doc. JMO