PDA

View Full Version : Would like some advice from vegetarians/vegans/occasionnal vegetarians

daYDreAmErX
06-30-2006, 04:13 PM
Hello ladies,

I just read a couple of articles about bodybuilding and vegetarian lifestyle but I still have questions (or fears !). I would like you to share some samples of diet and reasons why you decided to become vegetarians or vegans (maybe few years ago, or still). Did it affect your workouts ? Did your boyfriend or husband was vegetarian too ?

I would also like to know if eating more fruits would create insulin spike couple of times a day. Also, do you think giving a 30-days-trial would be a good start ? I don't eat red meat, eat egg or take dairy product, only milk and whey... and I don't know how to quit it (and I have 3 boxes of Whey which I paid for...). I'm a student and I also want to know if it costs more to be vegetarians.

Where should I start ? How ? I'm not an ethical person I think it's just a question of health. Each summer, I tell myself I should when I eat all those fresh veggies and feel better than ever.

Thanks a lot !

PS : I don't like tofu, is it a big deal ? And what about all those soy objections ?

Megin
06-30-2006, 09:52 PM
How ? I'm not an ethical person I think it's just a question of health.

If you are going to be a veg/vegan... IMO, you should do it for 'ethical' reasons.

If you are concerned about health ----- JUST EAT HEALTHY!!!
Meat is IMPORTANT!
It IS good for you...

What about
-chicken
-shrimp
-tuna
-salmon or other fish
- other sea foods
- egg whites

^^^ whey protein powder is a SUPPLEMENT

(Red meat is ok in moderation. The iron is good in small doses. Buffalo and Kangaroo are GREAT!!)
Eat organic and close to nature. Protein is very important

EmAzing
07-01-2006, 12:37 AM
Hello ladies,

I just read a couple of articles about bodybuilding and vegetarian lifestyle but I still have questions (or fears !). I would like you to share some samples of diet and reasons why you decided to become vegetarians or vegans (maybe few years ago, or still). Did it affect your workouts ? Did your boyfriend or husband was vegetarian too ?

I would also like to know if eating more fruits would create insulin spike couple of times a day. Also, do you think giving a 30-days-trial would be a good start ? I don't eat red meat, eat egg or take dairy product, only milk and whey... and I don't know how to quit it (and I have 3 boxes of Whey which I paid for...). I'm a student and I also want to know if it costs more to be vegetarians.

Where should I start ? How ? I'm not an ethical person I think it's just a question of health. Each summer, I tell myself I should when I eat all those fresh veggies and feel better than ever.

Thanks a lot !

PS : I don't like tofu, is it a big deal ? And what about all those soy objections ?

What does your diet consist of now?

I am primarily veg. and since I became that way I find that I have more energy. Occasionally I eat some white fish, tuna and egg whites.
The reason I went mostly veg was that I noticed my body respond with the more veggies I ate. The biggest difference was when I stopped chicken. I really started to cut up.
I don't tolerate dairy too well but find that a whey isolate is just fine.
Megin is right... Protien is very important. So are essential fatty acids that can be found in fish and eggs.
I make sure that I integrate soy into my diet. (I don't like tofu either :) )
In my case, I put on muscle really easy, so this is what works for my body.. everyone is different. You are young and your body is still developing. Focus on good nutrition.

txssweetie
07-01-2006, 10:54 AM
Buffalo and Kangaroo are GREAT!!

You eat Kangaroo? :(

Megin
07-01-2006, 11:50 AM
You eat Kangaroo? :(

Wouldn't touch it... but it is nutritionally great for you! ;)

daYDreAmErX
07-01-2006, 04:55 PM
Hello ladies,

Thanks all for your comments. Anyone can post some examples of their diet ? And what about eating a lot of fruits ? Would it be bad ?

Thanks again !

*supermomma*
07-01-2006, 06:16 PM
I was vegan for most of last year, and although I did drop a few pounds, I don't think it had any additional effect as far as energy or anything else are concerned.

Plus, I had a really hard time meeting my protein requirement.

All in all, I agree with the post saying that unless it is for ethical reasons, there is no reason--if anything, go ovo-lacto so you can still use whey, casein, and eggs.

*supermomma*
07-01-2006, 06:21 PM
I think eating a lot of fruit would probably cause insulin spikes, yes.

daYDreAmErX
07-01-2006, 07:10 PM
So I just have to adapt my diet and not necessary get the label "vegan" or "vegetarian". I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, lentils, beans, fish, soy and whey and sometimes chicken. I also eat plenty of nuts and I really feel good. Each time I eat red meat, I feel bloated and I have a fasle feeling of being satisfied. And because I have a seated job (12 hours each day), a lot of veggies help me.

Is too much fish bad ? I eat shark once a week, maybe 5 cans of tuna, sardines and other and never felt better.

For fruits, I'm gonna try to keep them around my workout like I used to do.

sherdi
07-01-2006, 07:18 PM
So I just have to adapt my diet and not necessary get the label "vegan" or "vegetarian". I eat a lot of fruits, veggies, lentils, beans, fish, soy and whey and sometimes chicken. I also eat plenty of nuts and I really feel good. Each time I eat red meat, I feel bloated and I have a fasle feeling of being satisfied. And because I have a seated job (12 hours each day), a lot of veggies help me.

Is too much fish bad ? I eat shark once a week, maybe 5 cans of tuna, sardines and other and never felt better.

It sounds as though you already have a great plan for heath, as Megin said, going vegan or vegetarian should be for ethical reasons as you can be just as, if not more, healthy doing what you are doing! It seems as though you have a good balance. I don't think you are eating too much seafood...Try to incorporate more variety too, things like salmon, mackerel, trout are all very nutritious...

If you don't feel good eating red meat then don't eat it! As long as you are opting to eat a good balance of lean protein, complex carbs, and good fat, you have a healthy diet! I agree that a lot of veggies are excellent. Eating 2-3 servings of fruit a day is probably the most you should eat though, and eating them with a complete meal is better for sugar levels. Also try to eat them earlier on in the day if possible. Fruit around workouts are especially good! :D

Good luck! :)

daYDreAmErX
07-01-2006, 07:50 PM
Thanks a lot sherdi !

To me, earlier in the day means 7pm because that's when I woke up and I get to the gym around 8:30pm and go to work at 11pm LOL !!!

:D

J.Bo
07-01-2006, 07:56 PM
I think you want to be careful w/ eating sooo much tuna although a very lean and healthful protein there is high levels of Mercury in it, which has also been reported in people who eat alot of it.

*supermomma*
07-02-2006, 06:08 AM

Fruit isn't actually ideal PWO (pre-workout, I don't think it makes much of a difference, imo). You need fast digesting carbs like rice cakes or maltodextrin (which you can buy places that sell supplements and add to your PWO shake).

Megin
07-02-2006, 07:39 AM
Fruit isn't actually ideal PWO (pre-workout, I don't think it makes much of a difference, imo). You need fast digesting carbs like rice cakes or maltodextrin (which you can buy places that sell supplements and add to your PWO shake).

*cringe*

Errr... I don't have time to type right now, but I will be back.

But, no fruit post workout and rice cakes?

terracotta
07-02-2006, 07:44 AM
Fruits pre and post workout are fine. I would have a faster digesting carb post-workout *in addition* to the fruit though. I typically have 8 oz skim milk, and I find this works very well. I should also say, that I don't think there is a very big difference at all between having lactose and maltodextrin.. I think obsessing about superfast absorbing carbs post workout is not really necessary.. it is *much* more important to worry about getting enough fast digesting protein and some simple sugars.

Fitprincess1983
07-02-2006, 10:14 AM
i am a vegaterian and here is a sample of my diet for a typical day. let me know if you have any ?'s. i know that since becoming a vegi i have gained muscle, lost fat, and have sooo much energy!

foods i eat usually everyday:
kashi go lean cereal
soy milk
protein powder
beans
veggi's of course!
boca products
tofu
natural PB
whole wheat bread
apples, banana's
cottage cheese
rocatta cheese
just started adding in tuna

cowpie
07-03-2006, 07:53 AM
Hey there, I've been an vegetarian (ovo-lacto) for 16yrs now and it doesn't affect my workouts negatively at all. I lift heavy and intense without any problem. I also play soccer and mountain bike and have no problems keeping up with the big boys :) I did become vegetarian for ethical reasons but I never liked eating meat so taking it out of my diet wasn't an issue not eating fish or seafood was a little tough but now I wouldn't dream of eating it. I think if you want to try it out that's awesome :)
example of what I eat:
skim milk
whey powder
cottage cheese, 1%
eggs
nuts (natural peanut butter, almonds, sunflower seeds)
veggies of course! (broc****, spinach(fresh and frozen), mushrooms, green beans, sweet potato, avocado, tomato)
fruits and yogurt (which is limited to a.m. around my workouts and fruits I eat are berries, banana and apple)
I'm not a big tofu eater and I don't like to consume too much soy (because of phytoestrogens), but I have about 85g-170g of plain, tofu about once a day.
also eat lentils and chickpeas (but on a cutting diet at the moment so these are limited)
oats and oatbran

I take in ~180 - 190g complete protein daily, I'm 5'5", 144lbs & ~15%bf

As far as expense is concerned I don't think it would be anymore expensive then if you're a meat eater. It does become more expensive if you opt for organic foods(which is my case) and sometimes a little difficult when traveling and eating out (choices can be limited).

I think things you should be aware of is your B vitamin intake and your iron intake, as these can be limited in a vegetarian diet and impact your overall health and of course workouts, it would be a good idea to read up and become familiar with signs/symptoms of these deficiencies and good idea to have blood checked at least yearly (can indicate deficiencies)
otherwise, best of luck to a new way of eating :D

rachel~m
07-03-2006, 01:13 PM
All in all, I agree with the post saying that unless it is for ethical reasons, there is no reason

unless the thought of eating dead animal flesh repulses you.

pizza_lover
07-03-2006, 11:37 PM
hello there my new friendz.... im just new here....

zuche
07-04-2006, 05:28 PM
i dont think my ancestors faught so hard to be on the top of the food chain so i could eat veggie wraps and drink soy milk

daYDreAmErX
07-04-2006, 06:56 PM
i dont think my ancestors faught so hard to be on the top of the food chain so i could eat veggie wraps and drink soy milk

I think they fight hard to give us the choice to finally decide what's best for us, individually.

Miranda
07-05-2006, 12:12 AM
I think they fight hard to give us the choice to finally decide what's best for us, individually.

oh, that . . . :)

humans are omnivores. we have teeth for cutting meat and we have teeth for chewing veggies. there's not really a health-related reason not to eat meat (unless you're talking antibiotics and stuff but that's another story).

ironman1964bc
07-05-2006, 12:53 AM
I respect the decision a person makes when starting a vegetarian diet, as long as it is for ethical reasons, although I never could understand why killing a plant is ok but killing an animal isn't. Anyway, if someone starts the diet for health reasons, then they are sadly mistaken. For one thing, we cannot digest cellulose or get many benefits from eating vegetable matter. Our digestive system mostly resembles a wolf. Our ancestors were omnivores out of necessity, if they had a choice, they would have eaten meat, but sometimes meat would have been scarce.

There is no doubt that starting a vegetarian diet will instantly make you feel healthier because anything is better than the crap that most people eat today. The problem is we are not made to survive on vegetable matter. Feed a wolf or a lion nothing but vegetable matter for a month and they will be on death's doorstep. This is concerning because their digestive systems are very similar to ours (read any Walter Voegtlin material). The Weston Price website is also a good place to start to get educated on this subject. He travelled the whole world and documented every diet that each culture or tribe ate.

If you must be a vegetarian for ethical reasons, then please monitor your digestive health. If you start experiencing any problems, please think about adding some fish or meat to your diet. Also, I hope you are not one of these bandwagon people following this diet because it is the "in" thing to do. I have a friend who is like that. She condemns everyone for eating meat, but at the same time she is wearing a leather jacket and leather shoes. Where does she think the leather comes from...broc****?

Miranda
07-05-2006, 04:52 AM
I never could understand why killing a plant is ok but killing an animal isn't.

lettuce can't scream :p
plants don't have a central nervous system - they don't feel pain. if you're concerned about that, why not convert yourself into fruitism? eat fruits, nuts and seeds only. that way you won't kill the mother plant. of course, you'll need furniture made out of stone, not wood.

Megin
07-05-2006, 08:49 AM
lettuce can't scream :p

Miranda - what about the living alfalfa sprounts??

:confused:

Miranda
07-05-2006, 09:42 AM
Miranda - what about the living alfalfa sprouts??
:confused:

don't worry, they're dead now.

okohme
07-05-2006, 06:38 PM
I chose to become a vegetarian because I feel the meat industry is grossly unethical. I eat large about of fresh, canned and frozen veggies, soy protein supplements and the like. I have only just begun to work out so I could not really say it affected my workout. My boyfriend at the time I decided to become one also decided at the time to be a vegetarian. MY boyfriend now, is not. Very much not.
I do not notice a side affect form eating fruit and soda and candy make me sick since I have cut them out of my diet.
I would be careful with the 30 day thing, if you stop eating meat for a while, your body stops producing the enzymes to digest meat. So you will have to ease back into it.

I would say slowly phase out meat and replace it with soy protein and more veggies. Remember that most veggies donít have much or any protein. Many times you have to combine two or more vegetable type items to get the whole protein, they each have a portion of the requisite ingredients.

I hate tofu, always have, but soy is good, so it works out.