PDA

View Full Version : Difference between chin-up & pull-up?

Luvdogs
06-29-2006, 04:13 PM
I was looking at an exercise site that shows examples and I can't see a big difference between a pull-up and chin-up. Are they the same thing? I know there are variations such as close grip, wide grip, underhand grip...solve this mystery for me! :)

emunah
06-29-2006, 05:27 PM
Actually it is better to work each muscle group 2-3x/week if you control for volume. More frequency at the same volume and intensity = faster results.

The difference is one is underhand the other is overhand. A chin up uses an underhand grip and also incorporates the bicep; it is an easier movement. A pullup uses an overhand grip and less bicep involvement.

Luvdogs
06-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Actually it is better to work each muscle group 2-3x/week if you control for volume. More frequency at the same volume and intensity = faster results.

The difference is one is underhand the other is overhand. A chin up uses an underhand grip and also incorporates the bicep; it is an easier movement. A pullup uses an overhand grip and less bicep involvement.

Thanks! So it is the overhand or underhand grip. I'll look more closely at the video and see if I can tell. They are not the highest quality videos ;)

Not sure what the first part of your response is referrencing?

emunah
06-30-2006, 06:04 AM
Sorry...got confused by another post. :)

Luvdogs
06-30-2006, 08:43 AM
I figured it must be that.

I found this site on Terracotta's web site that has great demo that are clear to see for anyone interested.

http://www.bsu.edu/webapps2/strengthlab/home.htm

Defiant1
06-30-2006, 09:46 AM
I was looking at an exercise site that shows examples and I can't see a big difference between a pull-up and chin-up. Are they the same thing? I know there are variations such as close grip, wide grip, underhand grip...solve this mystery for me! :)

They are absolutely, positively the same thing. It is just a different name for the same exercise.

Like:

Prone press=Bench Press
Preacher curl=Scott Curl
Reverse grip row=Yates row
French curl=tricep extension
Partial deadlift=Rack pull

I've seen people assign specifics to them, so be it. But I have plenty of old school books that refer to them interchangably.

Example: Wide grip chins. How many times have you heard this? Yet according to the "new definition" they are done with a wide palms toward face grip? Nah....

IMHO of course. :)