PDA

View Full Version : fairlly new to the site

newlifenewbody
06-28-2006, 11:37 PM
Hello all, i just wanted to introduce myself, im 37 years old from new jersey, i started workingout about 6 months ago.. the pounds are melting away. Now i want to get into serious bodybuilding...I am seeing the muscle tone starting to come along, my metabolism is much faster than it was...
I am having 5-6 meals a day, drinking about a gallon of water a day. I am taking lipo 6. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, doing mostly cardio right now.. Can anyone out there, tell me if there is something im missing. also, ballys is my gym..do you think that i would be better off at a hardcore bodybuilding gym...

thanks in advance for your input

~Lisa~
06-29-2006, 02:38 AM
Hey there, welcome to the boards. It's hard to say without seeing any pictures of you, or knowing your stats!!

How many grams of protein are you getting each day? Do you still have weight to lose? It seems to me if you're wanting to get into serious body building, then it might be time to cut down on the cardio and hit the weights an extra day or two. Depends on how much body fat you still have to lose, tho.

What's your height, weight, body fat %, body measurements, etc?

MsFit
06-29-2006, 07:48 AM
I like more hardcore gyms rather than spandex central gyms. People look at you strange when lifting seriously at those "girly" gyms.

Muscle gain is all in the quality of your diet and training. Proper form and intensity helps with muscle gains as well. Keep it simple, yet effective. Building Muscle (http://www.theelitephysique.com/articles/fbnewsletters/fbb37.htm)

LiftingIsLife
06-29-2006, 11:27 AM
Muscle gain is all in the quality of your diet and training. Proper form and intensity helps with muscle gains as well. Keep it simple, yet effective.

dont forget the necessity of PROPER REST (sleep).

best,
~lifer

msfitnetz
06-29-2006, 02:17 PM
I agree with Msfit although sometimes I have found a REAL squat rack and made floor room for some good lifts. The "boys" move away so I can work and they don't gawk as much but when I work I rarely get bothered anymore thankfully. Something about a woman strapping on extra weight with a dip belt and chinning drives them away quick ( smile).
But we would need what you are doing more specifically and eating etc to assist.
And have fun with it!!

newlifenewbody
06-29-2006, 05:18 PM
To be honest i havent been keeping track of how much protien i am getting each day. but as far as what I am eating..i will give you today as an example.. this morning i started out with lipo6, then i had egg whites with turkey breast and a protein shake. for my 2nd meal i had turkey and spinach wrap, 3rd meal was a oh yeah protein bar, 4th meal was a protein shake, and a bowl of granola cereal, my 5th meal was a can of tuna..and i will have a protein shake in about 3 hours.

As far as my workout, i do mostly cardio...I have lost a lot of weight, but i do know that i have a lot more to go..last year this time i was close to 300 pounds, the last time i got on the scale ( last month) I was 220. ( and Im only 5'3") my workout consist of the treadmill, the bike, light weights.

sherdi
06-29-2006, 07:52 PM
Hello! :) I would say you need to balance your weights with your cardio....for example you could do 3 x full body weight sessions per week as well as 3 x cardio sessions. You could alternate them every day so that you are giving your body a rest between weights/cardio...It's very important you have 1 complete day of rest (don't do any cardio or weights) as your body needs it!

Good luck! :)

newlifenewbody
07-01-2006, 05:45 PM
Thank you all for you advice...I really appreciate it...I will be posting pics soon, so maybe, i can be critiqued a little more...

bigswole00
07-03-2006, 01:13 AM
Hello! :) I would say you need to balance your weights with your cardio....for example you could do 3 x full body weight sessions per week as well as 3 x cardio sessions. You could alternate them every day so that you are giving your body a rest between weights/cardio...It's very important you have 1 complete day of rest (don't do any cardio or weights) as your body needs it!

Good luck! :)

I agree!!

LuckyDog
07-03-2006, 08:05 AM
Hello Fellow Jersey Girl!! - Congratulations on your huge accomplishment!!!

To answer your Bally's question - that one is up to you. Do you have the equipment you need to lift hard? Do you feel comfortable there? If you need help are there compident(?) people to ask? I train at a small hardcore gym that embraces that I am a bber. I have alot of real lifters to ask for a spot from, my coach is in the gym almost everyday. No glitz, no cardio room - just an old school lifting gym.

About your training and diet - your short and long term goals are really key. Start with giving us a good understanding of where you are - pics will help, stats will help. Looking @ your diet sample - its good but if you really want to take this to another level - there is lots of room to clean it up.

Shifting your focus from cardio to weight lifting will make a big difference. No offense but coming from being so heavy - you want to make sure that what you are doing is appropriate for your current level of fitness and conditioning. If you do too much cardio and overtrain too hard your body will start to hold onto the fat your are working so hard to shed. It is a fine balance for it to be optimally effective.

Again Congratulations you are an inspiration!!!

terracotta
07-03-2006, 08:41 AM
You should take a look at my website http://terracotta2.googlepages.com

If you like the atmosphere at the Bally's and they have a squat rack, and plenty of free weight equipment, you can stay there.. really it is your choice.