PDA

View Full Version : What to eat after waking up prior to working out

extreme4377
06-28-2006, 01:57 PM
Simple question. Whats the best meal to eat after waking up from a night's sleep before a heavy lifting session?

Ive been eating a bowl of rice krispies(almost 0g of sugar, simple carbs) with 1% low fat milk, a 16 oz. glass of OJ, and a 6 oz. Yoplait Strawberry Banana Yogurt prior to working out.

But, I always get hungry half way through my workout...

What should I be eating? Thanks

dbx
06-28-2006, 02:11 PM
Oatmeal, eggs & wheat toast are pretty darn popular here. A lot of folks put whey in their oats for extra protein to start the day too.

NewStart2Day
06-28-2006, 02:54 PM
you could throw in some complex carbs with your other food since it can stabilize your blood sugar.

also, Add more protein since it can keep you feeling full for a longer time.

extreme4377
06-28-2006, 03:00 PM
How about if I eat what I currently eat but add two hard boiled eggs to the mix?

alexclark
06-28-2006, 03:08 PM
Two hard boiled eggs would be a good addition but it would be better to go for a breakfast with more protein and starchy carbs to provide long-lasting fuel for your workout. A couple eggs with some egg whites and a couple slices of whole wheat toast would be fine or maybe oats, whey, and a fat source (peanut butter, nuts etc). Also a very very qualified nutrionist recently told me that upon waking your body produces enzymes in the stomach to help break down large amounts of protein - in other words your body yearns for a large supply of it. So give your body what it asks for....some protein!

Mango
06-28-2006, 03:59 PM
^^^^I'd agree with that, except for the addition of fat. I wouldn't let fat account for a very big portion of that meal.