PDA

View Full Version : Am I relying too much on supplements?

Leigh29
06-28-2006, 02:16 PM
The situation is this, due to my time factor as the day goes on, around 3:00 or 3:30 seems to be my last real food meal of the day as it turns out I am simply rushed like crazy between then and 6:30 and I have about enough time to whip up a meal replacement shake in the blender suck it back and head off to the gym for 7:00, or 7:30 then after my workout is my post-workout shake. Is this terrible that I am relying heavily on liquid meals as oppose to solid food? It is just more convenient, but I want to get some advice on this before making it a standard practice.

imperfectly_lou
06-28-2006, 04:56 PM
Your post workout shake shouldn't be your last meal of the day. Approx an hour after your PWO shake, you should be having a proper meal of real food with a balance of protein, carbs (incl fibre) and fats. E.g. last night I had my shake about 7:45 and about 9pm I had grilled chicken breast, sweet potato and broc****.

Leigh29
06-29-2006, 08:42 AM
I workout from 7 to 8 p.m. approximatly then I have my shake around 8:30, so would it be too late at night for me to then eat chicken, potato and broc**** like 40 minutes later???

moon girl
06-29-2006, 08:46 AM
I don't think so - especially since you work out so late. Your body will need the food after a hard workout :)

alohafitness
06-29-2006, 01:38 PM
I prepare meals ahead of time and keep them in a fridge at work or in a lunch box w/cold packs. This way you could scarf down a whole food meal in the same amount of time it would take you to make a shake in the blender. After the work out I would just stick with the shake since it's late, unless you're trying to put on muscle, in which case it would be advantageous to have more carbs and fat pwo.

imperfectly_lou
06-30-2006, 12:37 AM
I workout from 7 to 8 p.m. approximatly then I have my shake around 8:30, so would it be too late at night for me to then eat chicken, potato and broc**** like 40 minutes later???

No it isn't... its overall calories that count, not when they are consumed. Your body can't tell the time! :)

Leigh29
06-30-2006, 09:27 AM
Good point, my body can't tell the time! ha....ok well that is very helpful...I am looking to reshape my physique and put on some muscle size, so thanks for those tips...Now I won't get so worked up about eating later at night. Its funny how society tends to brainwash us all about carbs and time etc...so I'm glad I have bb.com to set me straight.

daYDreAmErX
06-30-2006, 10:20 AM
Because I work from midnight to lunch (12 hours !) 5 days a week, I had to "rebuild" my way of eating. At the beginning, it was hard but now I realize that the important is that my body gets its food !!! I take my breakfast around 8 pm, my postworkout shake around 11 pm and I eat at 1 am LOL ! It's just a question of habits, so don't be scared to eat when your body needs and wants it !