PDA

View Full Version : Work out info

okohme
06-28-2006, 12:24 PM
I was just wondering if I could get some pointers from some people who know a bit omre than I do about these things.
My first question is, if it dosn't hurt the next day did I not push hard enough. Friday last week I did some weight exercises at home and was sore for a few days. Monday of this week I did the same regiment and nothing.
I have been told that I should not do weight training too frequently, but what is too frequent? If I wait a day or two can I do my same regiment again or should I space it out more?
If I do cardio training 3-5 days a week, ( have to do 5 or I get lazy) and weights every two days can I do cardio and weights on the same day or do I need to be clever with my schedual?

northernbelle
06-28-2006, 03:57 PM
Don't use soreness or pain as a judge of how good the workout was. You can only tell if you have pushed yourself hard enough if you can increase the weights consistently, or if you can add reps to an already high weight. Some days you will be sore, and some days you won't. A lot depends on what else is going on in your life.

Generally, you should not work the same muscle group two days in a row. That means to wait at least 48 hours between workouts for the same muscle group, as it takes that long for the muscle to repair itself. Because resistance exercises can tax your central nervous system and your whole body, try not to do weight exercises too often (every day). People who are advanced in their body building can judge their own responses, and some do lift every day in a 5 day split; they also allow a 7 day recovery time.

You can do cardio on your no-lifting day. If you do cardio at the same time as lifting, do the lifting first, then do a short moderate cardio. Or you can wait about 4 hours before doing a long or an intense cardio. That gives your body a chance to rest after the lifting expenditure. Or, some do cardio in the morning, and lifting in the evening, or vice versa.

Try out different schedules and do the ones that you like best.