PDA

View Full Version : Is there any good way to eat cottage cheese?

Outdoor Girl
06-28-2006, 08:07 AM
I picked up some cottage cheese to try out, the non-fat version seems to have some good protein in it. One problem...I hate cottage cheese! Any ideas how I can eat this so it's palatable? I could stuff it into a lasagna but I was looking for ideas that might be a little more healthy than that. :D

Any ideas you have would be great!

daYDreAmErX
06-28-2006, 08:46 AM
I had the same problem...

Tip ? Just eat it ! After 2 weeks I was okay !

98shadow
06-28-2006, 08:48 AM
I eat it with apples and cinnamon, I put it on my salad.

BUT I really like cottage cheese and can eat it right out of
the container plain.

boxermom
06-28-2006, 09:01 AM
I hate the taste of cottage cheese alone. It taste like sour milk to me.
I eat mine in a pancake recipe:
1/2 cup roll oats
1/2 ff cottage cheese
4 egg whites

Mix in a blender, pour onto hot grill. I top them with strawberries and SF maple syrup.

Also, when I'm having problems controlling my sweet tooth....I put 1/2 cup of ff cottage cheese in a blender with 1TBSP of sugar free/ fat free chocolate pudding mix, 1 packet of splenda. Blend until creamy smooth- then freeze for 30 minutes. Taste just like chocolate ice cream!!!

barnetjs
06-28-2006, 09:06 AM
I love it - dress it up - splenda, equal - sugar free syrups, even vanilla protein powder adds some flavor. Just like boxermom I have discovered putting it in a blender and then sticking it in the freezer for a bit and WOW it is great - no lumpy - you can kind of pretend it is like icecream. Sunday I took some peach sugar free syrup - vanilla protein powder and equal - put in blender - blended till all lumps out - stuck in freezer for a few hours - cut up a small peach and put it in there - so good.

emmie
06-28-2006, 03:16 PM
You may want to check out the Nutrition forum - there are always at least 1-2 threads going that deal with cottage cheese "issues", and many people post their favorite ways of eating it. Here's mine; I add 1/2 c. (lowfat) into my hot oatbran or oatmeal. It kind of melts and makes the whole bowl nice and creamy. I add Splenda, and sometimes cinnamon, too.

- Emma

imperfectly_lou
06-28-2006, 03:21 PM
If you have a look in my journal, people made lots of suggestions over the past 1-2 days on ways I can eat my CC! Lots of good ideas!

redhead75
06-28-2006, 03:40 PM
I use to hate the stuff too. I love it now but it has to have splenda in it. I usually put brown splenda mmmm.....Sometimes I will put it in my oats instead of egg whites mmmmm.....I know what I am having for dinner now!!! Thank goodness it was leg day!! Oats here I come!!!!!:)

spytechs_wife
06-28-2006, 04:08 PM
i like it plain, but i have a sweet tooth so usually splenda and cinnamon for me! once in awhile ill make a tomato cottage cheese rollup in a lo carb tortilla.

LLB
06-29-2006, 06:30 AM
here is what I like to do..it tast great!

add Salsa, hot sauce, green peppers and voilą! You have a great nacho dip or something really tasty on its own!

Enjoy!

ab-swing asianbabe
06-29-2006, 07:12 AM
here ya go
everything you need to know about cottage cheese :D
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=9928239#post9928239

Outdoor Girl
06-29-2006, 07:48 AM
Thanks, everyone! I now know more about cottage cheese than I ever thought I would! :D GREAT input! I'm off to find some of the smooth and creamy stuff, if I can find it. Going to pick up some more of my favorite salsa, too. :)

RazzyDaz
06-29-2006, 10:05 AM
First off, you have to find the best tasting cottage cheese. For me, I LOVE Kroger's low-fat cottage. I have tried the Fat-Free, but it just tastes like plastic! However, my favorite is cottage cheese w/ onions, tomatoes, and crushed pepper. If you are looking for something more sweet, take fresh pineapple or any fruit and rinse if off, then mix it w/ the cottage cheese.

lea869
06-29-2006, 10:45 AM
i generall y just eat it with splenda and cinnamon, but RazzyDaz is right- you have to find a good brand. ive never tried krogers, but IMO Cabots FF is the best. It also has the good bacteria that yogurt has in it, so thats a plus too.

golfGirl
06-29-2006, 10:56 AM
First off, you have to find the best tasting cottage cheese. For me, I LOVE Kroger's low-fat cottage. I have tried the Fat-Free, but it just tastes like plastic! However, my favorite is cottage cheese w/ onions, tomatoes, and crushed pepper. If you are looking for something more sweet, take fresh pineapple or any fruit and rinse if off, then mix it w/ the cottage cheese.

This is SO true! Not all cottage cheese is created equal. I think that Kroger's is the best and I won't eat any other. I don't like the fat free either so I often buy one container of the FF and one container of the 2% and mix it up.

I love it with splenda, sliced strawberries and kashi go lean crunch! Don't forget you can always blend it smooth and mix in anything you want.

alohafitness
06-29-2006, 01:55 PM
I love it with splenda, sliced strawberries and kashi go lean crunch! Don't forget you can always blend it smooth and mix in anything you want.[/QUOTE]

Ditto:) Love it with blueberries AND strawberries!

okohme
06-30-2006, 11:33 AM
You can also mix into egg batter for scrambled eggs in place of the milk and or cheese you would use. Can't really taste the cottage cheese and it makes the eggs a little mor fluffy and cheesish.

fitinidaho
07-01-2006, 10:16 PM
cottage cheese and a few pineapples...mmmmmm
or try a protein shake:

1 scoop of vanilla whey protein
1/2 c cottage cheese
1/2 c milk
any kind of fruit...usually, blueberries, strawberries, or banana

OldEnuf2BYoMama
07-02-2006, 10:17 PM
wow...I never would have DREAMED of SWEETENING my cottage cheese!
haha...different strokes....I guess...

I eat mine w/mild chunky rotel tomatoes on top.YUMMY!

BlondeAmazon
07-03-2006, 11:42 AM
i found a pancake recipe in here and tweaked it a bit for my tastes:

8 egg whites
1/2 cup quaker oats
1/4 cup nonfat cottage cheese
splenda and cin to taste
1 scoop vanilla whey

then i add either a small chopped apple, a cup of blueberries or rassberries, perhaps a chopped banana, peach or nectarine and put it in the pancakes.

This makes 3 large or 4 med pancakes and I have 2 for breakfast then save 2 for later in the day.

per recipe:
with the apple its 504 cal
5 grams of fat
52 carbs
62 protien

I use a bit of sugarless syrup on the hot pancakes in the morning then eat the cold ones later like a cookie
is really good with the different fruits-

EmAzing
07-04-2006, 12:35 AM
I usually put a little sugar free jam or kroger low carb yogurt in mine. Sometimes I let it freeze just a little bit, and it changes the whole consistency to be more ice cream like.. LOVE IT!