PDA

View Full Version : Gallon of milk a day?

Yorkshire Lad
06-28-2006, 03:40 AM
This question was posed by someone else within a thread in the workout programs section but I realised people in this section would be better placed to answer and I would be very interested in your responses.
Mark Rippetoe advocates drinking a gallon of milk a day. I've done some research (there's even a post about that exact topic somewhere on these forums- I'd find it but right now my internet is really slow, just use the search feature) and I'm worried that drinking a gallon a day can cause one's calcium intake to be too high. This could result in digestion problems and even kidney stones. I'm not quite sure why Mark didn't think of this- maybe it's less of a problem than I thought, but a gallon of milk a day is over 4000mg of calcium and nutritionists say you shouldn't exceed 2500. (One example is this link from the department of health in NY: http://www.health.state.ny.us/diseas...osis/qanda.htm)Thanks in advance.

richo1000
06-28-2006, 04:01 AM
yeah.....i think sodium reduces calcium and flushes it out or something like that?? not sure.....would be interesting to see what ppl hav 2 say

Yorkshire Lad
07-04-2006, 07:34 AM
not sure.....would be interesting to see what ppl hav 2 sayIndeed.

SolidSnake84
07-04-2006, 09:45 AM
cant say much about the excess calcium, but i drink at least 1/2 gallon or more everyday. i love it. i drink nonfat, usually 3 servings at a time for 24 g protein, 0 fats, and minimum carbs. there is 16 servings in a gallon, and i will have at least 9 servings a day minimum typically.

milk is great because it's cheap, and a great source of protein...has casein and whey in it. great before bed or for when you know you wont be eating for a bit. to me, it's a staple...some people don't use it at all, but hey when you are strapped for cash, it works. i can't complain. only thing id suggest is to slowly increase your consumption if youre new to drinking it...tends to cause stomach discomfort if you drink a lot without being used to it...especially if ur lactose intolerant.

i did read something about calcium deposits ...but, who knows...im active and workout frequently...until there's strong evidence telling people of milk's bad effects, im drinking it.

SandManTFC
07-04-2006, 02:06 PM
doesn't milk have bad carbs in?bad carbs = sugar turns to fat? even the low to zero fat milk has the same bad carbs as the full fat milk..