PDA

View Full Version : those working fulltime

TankNoob
06-28-2006, 03:14 AM
just wondering which time of the day is better to work out, in the morning before, or at night after work

each has its disadvantages, for example working out in the morning means ur burning nothing( i could be wrong) and working out at night means if you dont eat enough before u go to bed, u could be burning too much ( i could be wrong too)

just asking the experts in this forum :)

mommy*2*3
06-28-2006, 03:41 AM
It all depends on YOU. Some people like myself are morning people and would rather get up at 4:30am to get to the gym before work. Other people need their zzzz's and are stronger in the evenings.

As for when you're burning more calories?...it doesn't matter. You should always eat something before you workout even if it's early in the morning.

windsrprk
06-28-2006, 07:11 AM
I was working out in the morning and one day decided to try after work. I enjoy after work so much better! I was worried I'd be up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom but so far this has not proved to be so. Definitely do what works best for you.

daYDreAmErX
06-28-2006, 07:50 AM
You want to know about one typical day of mine ? Here we go :

- 11 pm : going to work
- Midnight : work
- 12 am : end of work
- 1pm : back home
- 1:30 pm : going to bed
- 7:30 pm : wake up
- 9 pm : reach the gym
- 10:15 pm : back from the gym
- repeat

5 days a week :D

deedlit
06-28-2006, 03:01 PM
You'll find a lot of articles that promote cardio in the morning and weight lifting in the afternoons etc. But imho, I think you should work out whenever you feel you have the most energy, that way you'll get the most out of your workout. If you are not a morning person, getting out of bed at 5:30 a.m. just to hit cardio is not going to give you the best workout if you are low on energy. So find a schedule that caters to your abilities and needs.

Good luck! :)

rayteresa4
06-28-2006, 03:19 PM
I would certainly agree with those who have already posted...depending on your goals, you need to workout when it best suits you. Personally right now since I am six weeks from a show, I am cutting, and working out both morning and afternoon. But that is to help me reach my current goals...tailor to your needs and goals, and you will succeed...

imperfectly_lou
06-28-2006, 04:02 PM
There was a thread recently in the General section where lots of members posted their daily schedules and we all do different things! I prefer to get up early (I am usually up by 4:45am) and work out before work. I find I am usually too tired after work and my days are quite unpredictable.

WillDeadliftForFood
06-28-2006, 05:07 PM
Some people have trouble going to bed if they work out later in the day, like *raises hand* me.

I don't know what it is, but night lifting leaves me sleeping poorly, and I'll usually wake up after 2 1/2 hours and be up until dawn :(

This is one of those "try all and see what works best for you" situations.

TankNoob
06-29-2006, 02:47 AM
yea i heard ur not suppose to to exercise 1 hour before you go to bed, but i try both ways and see, but i prefer morning since i like to use my niite time to do other stuff, pratice guitar, watch tv, go movies, etc

Dogmama
06-29-2006, 04:45 AM
Morning for me. No matter what the day brings, I have my workout done. Plus the gym is usually in low tide at 5AM

moon girl
06-29-2006, 07:58 AM
I work out in the morning too. After work I'm usually more tired & more tempted to skip my workout plus when I work out in the morning it gives me an energy boost. And I think you burn at least the same when you work out in the mornings - after a hard workout I feel like I'm burning 'extra' calories all day long (I'm WAY more hungry). Maybe it's a sort of metabolism boost for me, I'm not sure how else to describe it.

amcrnilovic
06-29-2006, 09:19 AM
There was a thread recently in the General section where lots of members posted their daily schedules and we all do different things! I prefer to get up early (I am usually up by 4:45am) and work out before work. I find I am usually too tired after work and my days are quite unpredictable.

This is me exactly. I love not having to think about working out all day and if I will be able to get to it, because I already did it. Additionally, I have no choice. I have to pick up my 2 1/2 year old twins from daycare right after work and have to be home with them for the rest of the evening since my husband comes home late. The only problem I have with the AM weight training (not cardio) is that you are supposed to have a pre-workout meal about 1 to 1.5 hours before training. If I train at 5:00 AM there is no way I am getting up at 3:30 AM just to eat. Especially because I go to bed around 11:00 PM. So, I have 20 min between time I eat something and when I train so it has to be small.

Right now I have about 1/2 C non fat/lo carb milk in my coffee and pour a bit of the hot coffee/milk mixture over 1/4 cup of oats to soften it up and then I can eat it up in three or four spoonfuls. I leave the 1/4 cup dry oats out at night and then in the morning I just add my coffee to it. Takes seconds. Plus, who wants to use up all their calories for their 18 hour day before the sun rises?

msfitnetz
06-29-2006, 01:24 PM
Mornings most of the time except my work schedule I must leave for work by 5am and no longer have my home gym. SO I now do short cardio in am after I get up and drink a glass of soy milk with mct oil( and sometimes protien powder). I like the adding of some oats though may keep my hunger by the time I am at work and delayed eating.
Some days my scheduel allows afternoon or late am workout. otherwise I must ( miss ) due to my long unpredictable hours. My work has me tied up sometimes 6am to 1130pm. But I work 7 days straight then 7 off with weekends oncall so often make up workouts.

BUT after all this my preference in Am howveer I find on Back days I do better later , I think because it gets warmed up all day and I love back exercises.

Simpy
07-03-2006, 04:40 AM
I prefer to workout in the morning. Unfortunately, due to my hubby's schedule, I usually have to workout in the evening. I just can't justify getting the toddler up and at daycare by 6 am.

I agree with the others who say to workout when it's best for you. There may be studies that show working out at a certain time is more beneficial than others, but if getting up at 5 o'clock is so miserable for you that you won't do it, isn't it better to go after work?

jersey cook
07-03-2006, 06:18 AM
I workout after work and I actually found that it IMPROVED my sleeping - just goes to show how everyone is truly different. I've been off this week and been going to the gym earlier in the day (around noon) and find that my hiit sessions are more difficult and I haven't been able to lift quite as heavy as I normally would. Maybe it's a mental thing, but I'm definitely an afternoon person.