PDA

View Full Version : AAAAAGH! What's happening to me?!

beyond failure
06-28-2006, 03:00 AM
For the longest time...I was stuck at 107 lbs and around 8% bf....and maintaining at around 2525 calories a day...I kept slowly increasing my caloric intake with absolutely NO sign of weight gain until I was up to 2800...then...BAM!...the weight kept coming....I'm up to approximately 111 lbs. now and around 13% bf....I think I look fine but don't want to continue gaining muscle/fat weight as rapidly...my question is this...before...one of those formulas seemed to apply to me...did my body just need a kick start?...should I recalculate my BMR etc. and try applying the formula now?...I'm going to check out Terra's site now...I'm down to 2600 calories now but have a feeling I should go lower....PLEASE HELP!

twinnett
06-28-2006, 05:25 AM
But you should be gaining right? That weight and bodyfat is still too low. I have about the same stats: 107 and 9% BF, but I want to gain, b/c it's not healthy for me. Try 2600 for awhile and see if it evens out

beyond failure
06-28-2006, 05:36 AM
...I do want to continue gaining...just not as quickly....I redid my BMR etc. formula and came up with around 2540/day...I'll try that...maybe the formula does apply to me now that by body is out of weight loss mode...

BlueLion105
06-28-2006, 09:15 AM
Hi,

I was curious to how you are able to consume 2500 calories/day and maintain? I think I am doing something wrong and was wondering what your activity level was like.

I'm 25, 127 pounds, 30% BF and work out 5-6 days/week. I eat clean, stick to 45%Pro, 35%Carb, 20%Fat as closely as I can, and have tried eating 800-1000 calories/day to 1200-1400 per day. I can't get the scale to budge!

I lift weights and do regular cardio. I'm healthy and in shape except for the fat I can't rid myself of.

Any suggestions? (I am very concerned about eating so many calories, it just seems that I would automatically gain weight?)

Thanks!

lea869
06-28-2006, 09:30 AM
Well its sounds like to me, that you are putting your body in starvation mode by NOT EATING ENOUGH. yes, it seems counterintuitive, but your body needs enough cals, or it will start holding onto weight/fat for dear life.
so, eat more! and you will see a difference.
i know, im not very good at detailed posts, but smarter people than I can give you more pointers. This is just a start.
Good luck!

twinnett
06-28-2006, 09:57 AM
I agree with Lea. When I was eating 1400-1500 cals, I was maintaining around 120 pounds. I started eating more (I'm now around 2000-2200), and my weight dropped (I'm down to 107). I'm trying to gain, so I'm going to increase my calories even more. When your body isn't getting enough calories, your metabolism slows down and you burn less and hold onto all of your fat. Try slowly raising your calories week by week and see what happens!

BlueLion105
06-29-2006, 09:10 AM
Thanks for the advice... I'm going to give it a shot. I figure I have nothing to lose but some fat!

Hfit
06-29-2006, 09:46 AM
For the longest time...I was stuck at 107 lbs and around 8% bf....and maintaining at around 2525 calories a day...I kept slowly increasing my caloric intake with absolutely NO sign of weight gain until I was up to 2800...then...BAM!...the weight kept coming....I'm up to approximately 111 lbs. now and around 13% bf....I think I look fine but don't want to continue gaining muscle/fat weight as rapidly...my question is this...before...one of those formulas seemed to apply to me...did my body just need a kick start?...should I recalculate my BMR etc. and try applying the formula now?...I'm going to check out Terra's site now...I'm down to 2600 calories now but have a feeling I should go lower....PLEASE HELP!

Can you post your daily consumption - i'd like to see how you get 2525 calories a day. I wish I could eat that much!

mommy*2*3
06-30-2006, 04:17 AM
Thanks for the advice... I'm going to give it a shot. I figure I have nothing to lose but some fat!

Give it a try but be careful and increase your cals very slowly with only clean foods. Monitor yourself and adjust as needed.

A word of caution....we're not all created equal. We have different bodytypes, activity levels and metabolisms/ genetics. My maint cals are about 1500 a day and I diet at about 1100-1200. Over the years I've tried increasing my cals in hopes that I would increase my metabolism however, I only ended up putting on more fat. Even within the last I've increased my protein and have been watching myself slowly but surely gain some in unwanted places. So, just be careful and know that you're not alone...we don't all eat 2000+ a day ;)

emmie
06-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Give it a try but be careful and increase your cals very slowly with only clean foods. Monitor yourself and adjust as needed.

A word of caution....we're not all created equal. We have different bodytypes, activity levels and metabolisms/ genetics. My maint cals are about 1500 a day and I diet at about 1100-1200. Over the years I've tried increasing my cals in hopes that I would increase my metabolism however, I only ended up putting on more fat. Even within the last I've increased my protein and have been watching myself slowly but surely gain some in unwanted places. So, just be careful and know that you're not alone...we don't all eat 2000+ a day ;)

Another great post! Thanks for making this point, Mommy*2*3. It is so important that one recognizes that EVERY BODY - and metabolism - is different. I find that it's easy for read about other people's eating/training plans and assume that the resuts THEY are getting will be the result YOU will achieve if you follow what they're doing. Not always true!

- Emma