PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone willing to help.

Ingodstime
06-27-2006, 08:07 PM
Here's a bit of history. I'm 21 years old and I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl 9 months ago. I've managed to drop the baby weight by walking on the treadmill at least 3x's a week and I've played around with weights a bit ( I have NO knowledge of weights)I'm already at a good size, I don't have excess weight to take off,(um...not obese) I have a little gut. Nothing that some abs exercises can't cure. I recently picked up an Oxygen issue and completely fell in love with the idea of getting as healthy as possible! I also love the physiques of the figure competitors I saw. I do know that the competitors are at a low body fat that shouldn't be maintained for long periods of time but I would like to be ripped. (By ripped I mean 6pack, nice cut shoulders and legs) I came to Bodybuilding.com to begin educating myself but its all kind of alot to take in. I don't have much money to spare on a personal trainer, the extra bucks I did have I put on a gym membership with childcare so my daughter can come with. (No excuses right?)I'm motivated and ready to go, I just don't know where to start. Much help is nedded and any advice will be most helpful and greatly appericiated!

Simpy
06-27-2006, 08:42 PM
For starters, I would recommend that you read everything that you can about lifting weights. I know that it's a lot to take in, as you said, but you'll be very glad that you educated yourself on it. As for a lifting program, I recommend you begin with a full body program. It's been my experience that most people really enjoy them when they first start out. You can find a lot of different programs on this site. Good luck.

El Pena
06-27-2006, 10:08 PM
You should check out this site lots of good info.

http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/

You can also look through the journals in this section for examples of routines/exercises, and look through the nutrition sections of both the female and general board for some good info on proper nutrition.

I'd also recommend as the previous poster did that you should start with a 3 times a week full body lifting program, and then decide where to go from there once you have more experience.

Some gyms have floor "trainers" who can show you how to perform exercises, you will, however, most likely have to put up with the sales pitch for personal training, just nod politely and say you'll look into it later :D.

Motivatedmom
06-27-2006, 10:57 PM
I have a 9 month-old as well and know where you are coming from. I joined a gym (Larry North) a few months ago and had a few sessions with a personal trainer for free to get me started on a total-body "conditioning" type of workout. I have gone to the gym every day, M-F, for 1-2 hours/day for the past 3 months and I have learned more about weight training, anatomy, diet, cardio, etc. in 3 months than I learned in some quarters in college....lol.

The bottom line is this... you need to be motivated enough to do your own research and seek the info you need through reading, meeting with good personal trainers, etc. I made the mistake of posting my workout routine and asking for everyone's advice before I realized how many newbies do just that and how much it truly annoys people who live and breathe this stuff. I knew that I needed a change in my routine but I couldn't afford $85/session so I started reading and I got some great info from one person on here in particular who pointed me in the right direction (thank you, M). I started a new routine with her help and asked one of the trainers at my gym for some pointers on form and he ended up spending 3 days with me for free because he saw how dedicated I was. He just put together a 6-week program for me (1 week High Intensity Endurance, next 2 weeks Hypertrophy, 4th week High Intensity Hypertrophy, etc.) based on a M-Sa weight-training schedule FOR NOTHING... He spent 2 hours going over the form of each of the exercises with me and then an hour today training me for the whole Tuesday workout for week 1. I'm telling you, if you work hard at your gym good people will step up and help you if you ask. I just hope I can help someone out once I have a better understanding of what I'm doing... I've become friends with a lot of the trainers at my gym (they see me as much as my husband does...lol) so they give me great info all the time. My point is, if you are dedicated and work at it you will figure it all out. It seems very overwhelming at first but little by little, it starts making more sense.

Most importantly, make a specific plan based on specific goals and track your progress. It is so motivating to set a goal and achieve it! If that doesn't keep you going than nothing will. If you want to look like a figure model, that's a huge goal but if you break your goal into reasonable chunks in a reasonable amount of time, why not go for it??? Obviously, genetics plays a huge role for some of those women but hell, you won't know what your genetic potential is until you test it... I originally set a weight-loss goal but I have now changed that to include fat % loss, inches lost, target areas, etc. so I can hold myself accountable to it on a daily basis. Diet is CRITICAL so if you haven't changed that, start tomorrow. Do some research about it and learn what clean eating is and how to determine your caloric, protein, carb, and fat needs on a daily basis based on 5-6 meals/day. If someone would've told me 3 months ago that I could eat 6 meals a day and would lose 15 pounds, I would've laughed my ass off. But, I've literally done just that and I've lost 5% body fat, too. I had a BMR test done and I paid a trainer to put together a 5-day meal plan (with a range in calories) which set me back some money but it was WORTH EVERY PENNY! I've stuck to that and to daily exercise and my body is becoming better every day. I have since learned about formulas to calculate your BMR and it was almost exactly the same # that I paid this lady to give me so you should try to do that first...

You can do it. You just have to DO it.... Just like the Nike commercials say...:)

Good luck!

mommy*2*3
06-28-2006, 04:38 AM
Read the Body For Life book by Bill Phillips....this is a great foundation to build on. The book teaches you exercises and gives a great diet to follow; shows you how to balance your meals. As you will find out in your new journey....diet will become very important in your progress.