PDA

View Full Version : Help ...pleaseeeeee

Miss_Vee
06-27-2006, 05:00 PM
ok..im a newbie. I really need help with my eating habits. Im "o.k." on the physical part, but i know my main focus needs to be diet. so here are a few of my questions...

- Exactly what is eating clean? If someone who is eating clean could post their meal plan it would be most helpful :)

- Should i take a supplement to decrease my appetite? I grew up in a household where i had to "clean my plate" before i could do anything so i naturally tend to eat larger portions and not even realize that im truly not that hungry until afterwards. Any suggestions?

I guess my goal main goal is to lose 15-20 lbs. I have somewhat of an athletic build because ive always played sports in high school (i just graduated). Im 5'8 160 lbs. By some standards im alright, but i want to cut back on my body fat. Please help any way u can. All suggestions and comments (nice ones) are welcomed.

**Vanessa**

imperfectly_lou
06-27-2006, 05:44 PM
Eating "clean" generally means eating as close to nature as possible. E.g. if it comes out of a packet or box (within reason), it usually is off most people's food lists e.g. things like bread, most cereals, frozen pre-prepared meals, that sort of thing.

Check out the journal section for some meal plan ideas. Terracotta, Sherdi, Chrystal and Serinebean all post their meal plans daily and have some good ideas.

Luvdogs
06-27-2006, 06:04 PM
Hi Vanessa,

I would stay away from appetite suppresants. They are not a healthy way to gain control over your eating. Take responsibility for your eating and think of it as a journey to health and fitness. I recently lost 39 lbs through Weight Watchers and it was/is a great program. I use FitDay now to journal all I eat and I eat 90% clean. A little cheat meal here and there :) Here's a sample of what I eat:

Pre w/o (weights): 1/4 oats (dry measure), 16 grams protein powder mixed in after cooking

Post w/o: 1/4 c OJ, 1/4 c water, 16 grams protein powder, BCAA's, All One (vit/min supp), calcium

Breakfast: 1/2 c oats, 30 grams Fiber One or Simply Fiber, 16 grams protein powder (this is by weight), 1/2 c blueberries or strawberries, 1/4 c silk soy milk

snack: 1/2 c 1% unsalted cottage cheese, 14 grams almonds

Lunch: 2 slices Flax seed bread (organic), 3 oz. chicken breast, apple, 1 TB natural peanut butter

snack: 1/2 c oats, 16 grams protein powder (chocolate), 1 tsp flax oil OR Kashi TLC bar & small fruit

Dinner: 4 oz. lean meat or 6 oz fish, vegtables, sometimes a 5 oz potato.

snack: 1/2 c cottage cheese

That's an example, of course sometimes the meat, fruit, veggies change but that's the jist of it.

I eat about 1800 calories, 30 grams fat, 200 carbs, 165 grams protein and try to get at least 40 grams of fiber.

Invest in a food scale. It will be your best friend! :D

Simpy
06-27-2006, 09:48 PM
Reps to Julia. Stay away from the appetite suppressants. It's mind over matter in this game and eventually you'll have to learn how to say no to food. Find what my trainer calls free food, and eat a boat load of them if you're feeling hungry. I've been known to eat salad in a mixing bowl when I'm super hungry. It's virtually calorie-less, so no need to suppress my appetite. It's a lot better solution than not eating and having horrible headaches and the jitters.

zutons
06-28-2006, 03:48 AM
Exactly what is eating clean?
Removing all highly processed foods from your diet. Stay away from saturated fats. Eat lean, e.g chicken, turkey, fish. Eat your greens as close to nature as possible e.g fresh from the garden. If you must cook them, dip in boiling water for no more than 30 seconds. Remove and rinse with cold water from the tap.

I eat around 70 Grams of Protein / 200 Grams of Carb / 22 Grams of Fat per day.
My menu consist mainly of egg white noodles or buckwheat soba, broiled chicken/fish, or raw fish. Plenty of quick oats, sweet potatoes, baby spinach, carrots, peas, tomatoes, mushrooms, alfafa sprouts, peanut butter (natural), stoneground rye (yeast-free ) or lebanese bread (wholemeal) and fruit. As well as, organic milk (low-fat) and honey (natural).

Should i take a supplement to decrease my appetite? I grew up in a household where i had to "clean my plate" before i could do anything so i naturally tend to eat larger portions and not even realize that im truly not that hungry until afterwards. Any suggestions?
Simple, take smaller portions! If you find that you have a habit of filling up your plate, use a smaller plate, gives you the illusion of volume ;) There is no need for appetite suppressants, you would not want to end up relying on them.

golfGirl
06-29-2006, 10:46 AM
Tom Venuto has an e-book that explains things very clearly. It's a bit pricey but worth every penny, I think. Just google that name and you should be able to find his website.

Body for Life by Bill Phillips is also a good place for beginners. The eating priciples are very sound. It's easy to understand and very easy to follow. You can find his book in any bookstore.

Of course there are many women here with lots of knowledge and even more importantly lots of experience who are always very patient and willing to help.

Good luck! You've come to the right place!