PDA

View Full Version : Hello Everyone!

~Lisa~
06-27-2006, 11:50 AM
Good morning!

I am pretty new to fitness training and working out seriously with a plan. I've been active in life, but certainly not to this extent. I was a swimmer in high school, tho that hardly counts anymore since I'm 36 years old now. LOL! More recently I was very active playing paintball and soccer w/ my kids, but still that level of activity was nothing to what I'm doing now.

On February 1, 2006 I had my last soda, chips and ice cream. But I still wasn't eating clean or working out with a good plan. Around the middle of March I saw the amazing results that even a half-assed effort gave me, so I got a whole lot more serious. By May I was well into a clean eating lifestyle and taking a variety of supplements to help me along my way.

Now it's the end of June, and I'm ready to think about the next step of possibly competing in a figure competition. Either late this fall or in the spring... depending on how long it takes me to achieve my goals. My current stats are:

Age 36
Weight 117.2
Height 5'6"
Body Fat % read by a hand-held analyzer 16.5% - I need to get a "real" reading done, tho

I work out 6 days per week with very little cardio. All my time is spent in the gym with weights... the cardio that I do get comes from my Bleacher Running Days. I go to a track nearby and walk a mile and stretch for warm up, and then I run the bleachers. My heart rate goes way up, I sweat like crazy and I feel great when I'm done! I typically do somewhere between 400-420 steps, along with 60 or so deep squat jumps up the bleachers, side one-legged lateral jumps up, etc.

I've been told that I need to bulk up and gain as much muscle mass as possible now. And do the leaning/cutting phase later on, closer to contest date. It makes total sense that I should build as much muscle as possible before leaning out, but I don't know exactly how to go about that, other than lifting super heavy. I know my eats have to change to acommodate a muscle building phase, but I don't know any specifics.

Like how many calories should I aim for in this phase? I need some SERIOUS muscle growth, too... I am way too thin up top.

Should I up my carbs? Yesterday's food totals for me were:

Total Calories eaten: 1332
Fat: 38g 27%
Carbs: 130g 34%
Protein: 126g 39%

I've been shooting for a 30/30/40 ratio. Should that change? Or keep it there and just up the calories?

Thanks for any help and insight! I've started searching online for some answers, too, but haven't found what I'm looking for yet. There's SO much out there... gotta sift thru a lot of trash.

Oh, and my typical day of meals looks like this:

Meal 1: Kashi Go Lean! Crunch w/ fat free milk
Meal 2: Kashi trail mix bar
Meal 3: Ground turkey burger grilled, w/ fat free cheese and 1 serving Kashi crackers
Meal 4: Ground turkey burger grilled, w/ fat free cheese and a slice of watermelon
Meal 5: Grilled fish (Ahi), cauliflour, mashed sweet potatoes

OR

Meal 1: 2 scrambled egg whites & 1/3 cup of oats
Meal 2: 1 scoop protein drink
Meal 3: 1/2 grilled chicken breast, 1 cup cauliflour, 3/4 cup mashed sweet potato
Meal 4: Grilled fish (Salmon), broccoli
Meal 5: 1 or 2 scoop protein drink
Meal 6: 1/2 grilled chicken breast and 8 spears asparagus

It seems like this post is already super long... Especially for a first post! LOL I am looking for advice on how to properly go thru a bulking phase to build lots of good, lean muscle mass. In exploring the other threads in the forums, I see others add pictures to give visuals, so I will too. I think the file names will show here as the link you click, and those are the dates the pictures were taken. All taken within the past 3 weeks.

Oh, and I did mean to mention my supplements. So real quick: Whey protein powder, EAS's Phosphagen Elite (their 4th generation creatine), Mega Glutamine, CLA, HMB and a diet smart multivitamin, calcium w/ vit D and Fish Oil.

Thanks so much for any help or advice anyone might have for me!!
Lisa

Skyles
07-05-2006, 10:34 PM
I've been told that I need to bulk up and gain as much muscle mass as possible now.

Like how many calories should I aim for in this phase? I need some SERIOUS muscle growth, too... I am way too thin up top.

Oh, and I did mean to mention my supplements. So real quick: Whey protein powder, EAS's Phosphagen Elite (their 4th generation creatine), Mega Glutamine, CLA, HMB and a diet smart multivitamin, calcium w/ vit D and Fish Oil.

Thanks so much for any help or advice anyone might have for me!!
Lisa

You may want to stop taking CLA while bulking.