PDA

View Full Version : What is fruit and yogurt? & other things that confuse me

ZoraJ1121
06-27-2006, 11:29 AM
Ok, so I'm looking to do some cutting after falling off the wagon a little and just 'maintaining' for the past three months or so after I hurt my knee.

That said, I'm planning to follow a 50p/30c/20f, and hoping this will cut me down so that the six pack I can feel hiding under my little stomach pouch will come out to play, and my thighs won't jiggle when I walk around in my new bikini. My questions:

Where does fruit come in? Is it a carb? Should I not be eating that kind of carb? What about yogurt? I know processed foods are bad, but are protein bars ok? What about instant oatmeal (the kind with raisins and walnuts)? How do you count proteins and carbs with fat in them? (ie-- my 4 oz. of chicken breast has 4gs of fat)

I'm at 145 now, 23% bf, 5'4", large frame and 25yo, eating 1650cal/day. I had been watching my calories and making sure I was under 1400/day for the past year. I lost 75 pounds this way, then got stalled. I dropped my fat intake to 20% of my daily intake, lost another 5 pounds, and I've recently been trying to keep the fat intake the same while upping my calories because I think I was eating too little (most calculators had me at 16-1800 to lose and 22-2400 to maintain Have been eating about 1650/day for the past two months and have not gained any (woohoo) but not lost any (boo). Stummy and thighs look the same as before. Ideas?

ChocoChick
06-27-2006, 11:38 AM
Where does fruit come in? Is it a carb? Should I not be eating that kind of carb? What about yogurt? I know processed foods are bad, but are protein bars ok? What about instant oatmeal (the kind with raisins and walnuts)? How do you count proteins and carbs with fat in them? (ie-- my 4 oz. of chicken breast has 4gs of fat)

Fruit is a carb. Good to eat.

Protein bars are just processed foods (aka candy bars) with low quality protein added. Either make your own or, better yet, eat real food. Instant oatmeal is ok as long as there is no added sugar (which I suspect is the case with the one you list). Rolled oats is better.

Use fitday.com or something simlar to track your macros. Many foos have more than one macro in them.

More:

- Eat every 2-3 hours -- this will result in 6-7 meals per day
- Keep each meal roughly the same size
- Eat lean protein, starchy or fibrous carbs and healthy fats at every meal (exceptions below)
- Eat as close to nature as possible -- no processed foods, no sugar, no white flour
- Get between 1 - 1.5 g protein per pound of body weight, evenly split across your meals
- Get between .3 - .4 g fat per pound of bodyweight, evenly split across your meals (except post workout)
- Fill in with complex carbs to reach your desired calorie level
- Cluster starchy carbs at breakfast, preworkout and postworkout
- Have whey protein shakes postworkout only
- Make your last meal of the day protein + fat only
- EAT YOUR VEGGIES
- Supplement with multi-vitamin, multi-mineral and EFAs

Lean proteins: Boneless, skinless chicken or turkey; egg whites; tofu; protein powder; ostrich; buffalo; top round beef (aka London Broil); canned tuna; fish and shellfish (including fatty fish like salmon, catfish and mackerel); cottage cheese; yogurt

Starchy carbs: Oats; brown rice; quinoa; sweet potato; beans (kidney, black, pinto, northern, white, etc.); legumes (lentils); Ezekiel/sprouted bread; whole wheat pasta; whole grain bread (in moderation - very processed)

Fibrous carbs: Pretty much any vegetable, especially green ones. Broc****, spinach, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, artichokes, escarole, kale, green beans, zucchini, squash, mushrooms, tomatoes, lettuces

Healthy fats: Seeds (esp. ground flax), extra virgin olive oil, salmon and other fatty fish, nuts and nut butters (walnuts and almonds are great), avocado, coconut oil

Fruits: Strawberries, blueberries, cantaloupe, apples, pears

ZoraJ1121
06-27-2006, 11:55 AM
TY! Any advice about yogurt? Milk?

I love my veggies. I've been known to regularly put away a bag of frozen cauliflower with dinner.

ChocoChick
06-27-2006, 12:04 PM
I include both yogurt and milk in my nutrition. Some people feel bloated when they have a lot of dairy and so prefer not to include it. It's really up to you and how it fits into your macros. Yogurt and milk have more carbs and less protein than, say, cottage cheese, but this doesn't mean you shouldn't have them... only that you factor them in to your macros accordingly.