PDA

View Full Version : Brand new

okohme
06-27-2006, 09:14 AM
I am 5'3", 140 lbs. I recently lost somwhere in the range of 40 lbs. Okay, so I am brand new to this whole thing. I want to lose more fat, trim in tone and all that kid of stuff and then add muscle. BUt I am at a loss for exactly how to begin. I go jogging 4-5 times a week for an hour, and i do some lifting at home with a weights set 2-3 times a week, whenever im not sore again I do another day with weights.
I have not been doing it very long but I don't know that I see any improvment in strength or tone. I suppose I am likely doing things incorrectly but I can't be sure.
Also, the thing on protein. Accoding to my calculations, I should be eating 90 grams of protien a day, possibly more since im trying to train. Can this be right? That seems like an aweful lot to me. Also, it's difficult because I am a vegetarian.
Can anyone give me some ideas or input? Thanks!

KateTheGreat
06-27-2006, 09:32 AM
Hey. You have the same stats as me! I went from 161lbs to 120lbs from November 2005 to May 2006, then I found this site. I just wanted to say hello - I'm not the most knowledgeable person here. However, I just started to following the advice from this site (3 weeks or so) and am seeing changes already. I'm very inpatient, I need everything yesterday, but when you see your body change in ways you never expected, its very motivating.

ZoraJ1121
06-27-2006, 11:39 AM
yay for us weight losers! I'm in a similar situation-- I lost 80 pounds in the past year on my own by counting cals and now i'm like, 'ok, let's go all the way' and get buff! I want to see those abs I've been crunching!

I'm 5'4" and was 225 in Feb '05, now I'm down to 145. I also did it through running and weight lifting. I got some great advice on this site after I hurt my knee about glucosamine and fish oil supplements to help me get back to running.Good luck!

ChocoChick
06-27-2006, 11:42 AM
Do you eat dairy and/or eggs or are you vegan?

Vegetarian protein sources:

Egg whites
Tofu
Protein powder
Cottage cheese
Yogurt
Legumes (like lentils)
Beans
Quinoa
Seitan
Tempeh
Meat analogues (but watch the sodium)