PDA

View Full Version : Lower body

BabyMoto
06-26-2006, 08:33 AM
Ok ladies, we all know for the majority of us the lower body for is the more difficult to get toned for us. My body fat has really decreased the past month since working with a male trainer. But because of eating issues I have had to stay away from numbers but have made tremendous progress. I can tell my arms are getting leaner and toned and my legs are definately decreasing in body fat but sometimes my legs just feel massive but they are muscular. I know there is more around my upper thigh and butt to tone up so any suggestions on how to tighten that up. I don't know if it is cardio, weights, nutrition. Right now I do weights 5 times a week cardio 5 times a week and eat pretty clean learning how to incorporate different food into my diet. I'm not training for a show right now but sometime in the future will be so trying to get a feel for what it's like so any tips on how to get those spots will be great, thanks.

Luvdogs
06-26-2006, 09:53 AM
What's your training set up like? Seems like 5 days of cardio is too much. Without knowing how your training is now, hard to say, but (no pun intended :)) squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges will all help the glutes and legs. Clean diet is a must and maybe cut back to 3-4 days cardio and see how it goes the readjust as you go.

I train in the 6-8 rep range and do cage squats, Romanian DL's, walking lunges, leg press and extensions (the kind on the slant for Hams and low back, not quad ext.).

Have you discussed this with your trainer? Is he clear on what your goals are?

terracotta
06-26-2006, 01:51 PM
it sounds like what your doing is working (from what you have said).. you might want to keep it up!

There is lots of info on my site if you want to learn more.. http://terracotta2.googlepages.com

MsFit
06-26-2006, 02:01 PM
Ok ladies, we all know for the majority of us the lower body for is the more difficult to get toned for us. My body fat has really decreased the past month since working with a male trainer. But because of eating issues I have had to stay away from numbers but have made tremendous progress. I can tell my arms are getting leaner and toned and my legs are definately decreasing in body fat but sometimes my legs just feel massive but they are muscular. I know there is more around my upper thigh and butt to tone up so any suggestions on how to tighten that up. I don't know if it is cardio, weights, nutrition. Right now I do weights 5 times a week cardio 5 times a week and eat pretty clean learning how to incorporate different food into my diet. I'm not training for a show right now but sometime in the future will be so trying to get a feel for what it's like so any tips on how to get those spots will be great, thanks.

Are you happy with your muscluar legs and just want to tighten up a bit? Of course diet is key, but here's some added info on lower body training. Boot Da Booty Baby! (http://www.theelitephysique.com/articles/wtlossnewsletters/wt40.htm)

BabyMoto
06-26-2006, 07:51 PM
What's your training set up like? Seems like 5 days of cardio is too much. Without knowing how your training is now, hard to say, but (no pun intended :)) squats, deadlifts, leg press, lunges will all help the glutes and legs. Clean diet is a must and maybe cut back to 3-4 days cardio and see how it goes the readjust as you go.

I train in the 6-8 rep range and do cage squats, Romanian DL's, walking lunges, leg press and extensions (the kind on the slant for Hams and low back, not quad ext.).

Have you discussed this with your trainer? Is he clear on what your goals are?

I always get so confused with TOO MUCH CARDIO. I always read about to really decrease the body fat increase to more hiit or more cardio but then I know you can over do cardio, so I always get confused. Do you have any experience as to what the best type of cardio? Also what are cage squats? Maybe I just know them as a different exercise. Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it.

BabyMoto
06-26-2006, 07:54 PM
Are you happy with your muscluar legs and just want to tighten up a bit? Of course diet is key, but here's some added info on lower body training. Boot Da Booty Baby! (http://www.theelitephysique.com/articles/wtlossnewsletters/wt40.htm)

Well, sometimes I am happy with my legs and sometimes I am not. My mind can play tricks on me. The mind is very powerful. Sometimes it is very frustrating to find jeanse! Does anyone else have a hard time finding jeans. My thighs are tight in pants and sometimes I just hate that feeling in pants and it makes me feel self-councious! Maybe it is just my mind playing tricks on me. Thanks for the website I will take a look.

Luvdogs
06-26-2006, 09:12 PM
Speaking from my own experience, when I started lifting heavy (nearly four months ago) and decreasing my cardio to 3 days per week, I got leaner and buildt more muscle. When I was doing 5-6 days of cardio and "Light weights" I was lean but it didn't look the same. It's amazing what heavy weights can do. Remember that muscle takes up less space than fat. The difference between looking at a pound of chicken (the muscle) and a pound of cereal ( the fat), both weigh a pound, but the muscle takes up way less space than the cereal, so do't be afraid of that. My goal is to build, I want big legs as long as it's muscle! I am blessed with good calves and my legs can handle a lot. I figure the more muscle I build, eat clean and moderate cardio, I'll get leaner in the process...patience pays off as well as persistance!

Cage squats are just barbell squats done in a squat cage. It holds the bar at different heights so you don't have to hoist it over your shoulders, you just walk underneath it. I needed to go heavier than I could lift a regular barbell over my head, so I "graduated" to the squat cage :D.

You still haven't said what your training split is like.

Saeco Pink
06-26-2006, 09:31 PM
If you want to trim your thigh mass, running is the thing that will do it. You'd have to run a lot. Start with every other day and work your way up to 5 or 6 days.

Downside with running is that if you don't also do serious training for your legs, you'll lose definition.

~Lisa~
06-27-2006, 12:42 PM
Along with my regular leg workout in the gym (normal stuff like squats, 45* leg presses, lunges, etc) I have found that running bleachers, or stadium steps, to REALLY help my booty fat and cellulite problem areas!!

I just start at the bottom and run up to the top, making sure to keep my steps positioned right in front of me, and pushing up thru my heels... I concentrate on every step to push up strongly, so I'm already at the next step when I land. That's hard to describe in words, but I really feel this in my glutes!

Another thing I do, that when done right, is really hard, but SO GOOD!!! And you get better each time you do them. Deep squat jumps up the bleachers! Start at the bottom with feet hip width apart, bend your knees into a deep squat without letting your knees go past your toes, and explode upwards, jumping to the next step... drop down into the deep squat again immediately, and jump up again. These rock!!

Saeco Pink
06-27-2006, 02:44 PM
Along with my regular leg workout in the gym (normal stuff like squats, 45* leg presses, lunges, etc) I have found that running bleachers, or stadium steps, to REALLY help my booty fat and cellulite problem areas!!
Is that so?

Do you have before and after pix because I have a thread asking about saddlebags (I assume you have that problem since you mention booty fat and cellulite in the same sentence).

Here's the link to my thread http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=817666 please add your comments and photos. Ignore the idiots who responded with nasty posts.

~Lisa~
06-27-2006, 05:24 PM
I don't know if I'd call what I had "saddlebags" or not. It is puckered cellulite on my booty and directly UNDER the cheeks, at the tops of my thighs. I don't know... I'll let you be the judge I guess. I do have pictures, but god knows after reading that thread link you gave me, I am NOT posting in there!!

These pictures are from a Bikini Challenge that I participated in. It was a 4 week deal, so the befores and afters are only a month apart, but I started the bleacher running towards the beginning of that month.

Ok, so two recent pic comparisons and the only true "before" picture that I have of my behind. I avoided butt pictures at all costs.

Simpy
06-27-2006, 07:48 PM
Those are HUGE changes in just one month's time. Congrats! I'm with Terra, keep up what you're doing. It's obviously working. These things take some time, though. If there was a magic, instantaneous answer, everyone would be lean and mean. ;)

Saeco Pink
06-27-2006, 09:14 PM
I don't know if I'd call what I had "saddlebags" or not. It is puckered cellulite on my booty and directly UNDER the cheeks, at the tops of my thighs. I don't know... I'll let you be the judge I guess. I do have pictures, but god knows after reading that thread link you gave me, I am NOT posting in there!!

These pictures are from a Bikini Challenge that I participated in. It was a 4 week deal, so the befores and afters are only a month apart, but I started the bleacher running towards the beginning of that month.

Ok, so two recent pic comparisons and the only true "before" picture that I have of my behind. I avoided butt pictures at all costs.
Looks like you had saddlebags to me. Nice job. Definitely keep it up because I think you have found an effective stubborn bodyfat burning routine. I'd like to see what you'll look like after two more months of continuous use of your method.

PS: How many squat-jumps do you do? Do you do them after bleacher sprints or before?

~Lisa~
06-27-2006, 09:28 PM
Saeco Pink, Thanks! I will definitely keep at it... it's unbelievable to me that cellulite CAN disappear.

The track I go to doesn't exactly have stadium seating... it's just a long set of metal bleachers that go 10 rows high. At least that makes for really easy tabulations on how many of everything I do.

Squat jumps were pretty hard at first. So I started out doing 20 jumps, which was 2 sets of bleachers. Pretty sad, but I build on to that every time I go, now. The last Bleacher Day I did 6 sets of those squat jumps... so 60 jumps!

ashley9601
06-27-2006, 10:26 PM
Wow Lisa, I am so impressed, you look great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)