PDA

View Full Version : what is your biggest mental hurdle?

emmab
06-24-2006, 05:44 PM
for me it is two things
1) eating after workout getting over mindset of i've burned cals why replace (i do always beat this thought though!)
2) resisting temptation to follow my weights sessions with 20 or so mins of cardio (again the burn cals mentality)

this is my goal this week, to keep cardio SEPARATE from weights!

twinnett
06-24-2006, 05:53 PM
My biggest hurdle is keeping my calories up on rest days. I always feel like I should limit them, even though I need to gain weight. I also have the tendency to want to do too much cardio, even though I don't need it and don't particularly enjoy it!

stacey 010
06-24-2006, 06:12 PM
the mind set that more is better. often, more is not better and it has got me into trouble so many times now. Oh yeah, and that carbs will make me fat!

ab-swing asianbabe
06-24-2006, 08:48 PM
Few things:
* the more cardio you do, the faster you'll reach your goals
* you can each as much protein and fat as you want and you won't gain anything so long as you keep evil carbs DOWN
* there's no such thing as overtraining, who needs rest?

I'm unlearning and relearning

Simpy
06-25-2006, 03:16 PM
Buying in to the idea that "this one cheat won't hurt me." It would be true if it weren't for the fact that lately I've cheated every single day!

moon girl
06-27-2006, 08:41 AM
For me it's definitely negativity. There's a part of me that still feels like the fat, out-of-shape girl I used to be. I give up without really trying because I feel like I "can't do it anyway". This sometimes causes me to not push myself hard enough during my workouts but then I get upset with myself for wussing out on exercises. I also end up straying from my diet because of thoughts like "I'm never going to be lean", which only sets me back more.

fit123
06-27-2006, 08:46 AM
For me it's definitely negativity. There's a part of me that still feels like the fat, out-of-shape girl I used to be. I give up without really trying because I feel like I "can't do it anyway". This sometimes causes me to not push myself hard enough during my workouts but then I get upset with myself for wussing out on exercises. I also end up straying from my diet because of thoughts like "I'm never going to be lean", which only sets me back more.

That's mine too along with ... I screwed up today with the diet so why not keep going...I'm never gonna get where I want. Workouts are not the issue...diet is for me when I don't see results.

Also the "if I start eating less and work out more I will lose weight" kinda mentality is alway lurking in my head

Miranda
06-27-2006, 11:58 AM
buying women's fitness magazines and believing their advice.

~Lisa~
06-27-2006, 12:34 PM
Thinking that I should really limit my food intake... when in reality I need to be eating MORE! Every day I have to read something that makes me feel "ok" about all the food I'm supposed to eat OR to even remind me to eat it in the first place!

Thuirwyne
06-27-2006, 12:34 PM
...pushing it too hard for too long. I always feel like if I take a day off then I will lose muscle and immediately gain fat...after all this time I still don't step back from training unless, or more accurately, until I strain or sprain something and have no choice...

Mango
06-27-2006, 12:57 PM
Bump to asianbabe. :D

*I also have to get over thinking that everybody else is observing the lack of progress I've made or, in rare instances ;) the progress that I have made

*I'm having to remember that I'm doing this for me :D

*Remembering that not everybody appreciates what a fitness lifestyle encompasses :(

*Definitely not comparing me to that bimbo paris hilton, or any of the other "good time girl" celebrities. ;)

deedlit
06-27-2006, 01:22 PM
For me is all the negativity that surrounds me. Nobody at my workplace really works out on a regular basis. It's all about eating and binge drinking around here. I tried to keep my diet in check and exercise regularly (because I truly enjoy it), but because of that the rumor is that I have an eating disorder and body image issues. I have to hear it everyday from people around me how abnormal I am...

Reading the forums does really help a lot and gives me more encouragement. Keep up all the good work :).

Fit_Darling
06-27-2006, 03:40 PM
Wow, this is such a great topic to share! I found that I can relate to almost all of these mental hurdles...its nice to know that I am not alone!

Main mental roadblocker: Believing that fitness and my appearance mainly characterizes who I am. Thinking that people mainly associate me with fitness, working out, and eating strict...when in reality, most people dont even think this way about myself and instead, find other non-fitness related qualities to associate me with. I am constantly trying to remind myself that my life needs to stay balanced and that workouts, diet, and supps are not all about who I am.

twinnett
06-27-2006, 04:55 PM
That's a great post Fit! I too tend to fall too easily into thinking so much about diet and exercise that things in my "real" life tend to slide. It's all about balance. Does anyone else really notice when you put on a pound?

msfitnetz
06-29-2006, 01:30 PM
buying women's fitness magazines and believing their advice.

SO TRUE!! Like most are ALL natural!!! Darn implants

msfitnetz
06-29-2006, 01:32 PM
That's a great post Fit! I too tend to fall too easily into thinking so much about diet and exercise that things in my "real" life tend to slide. It's all about balance. Does anyone else really notice when you put on a pound?

I do!!! But yes FIT hit it on the nail the entire post! I have been feeling that last few weeks. I am glad I came back to read and be encouraged by all of you. Thanks

sixzebra
06-30-2006, 02:20 AM

nobody else notices the few extra pounds, but i sure do. i think waaaay to much about keeping a certain look that i tend to neglect those around me.

mykidsmom
06-30-2006, 10:31 AM
Wow!! If ever I needed to read this thread, today is it!!

I agree 100% with Moon Girl. That's me exactly. I've always yo-yo-ed and am thinner now than I've been in 20 years. But does that matter? Noooo. What matters? That I am not as cut and muscular as Jennifer or Kim at the gym. Does it matter that I bought a size 6 pair of shorts yesterday - something I couldn't have fathomed in my wildest dreams just a few months ago? Noooo. It only matters that I still see a pooch on my stomach and around my hips. Does it matter that I've lost over 25 pounds since the beginning of the year? Noooo. It only matters that my %bf won't budge below 23%.

Oh well. I'm working on the psychological side as well as the physical part. But, it helps to know I am not alone.

Thanks.

stacey 010
06-30-2006, 04:22 PM
Wow!! If ever I needed to read this thread, today is it!!

I agree 100% with Moon Girl. That's me exactly. I've always yo-yo-ed and am thinner now than I've been in 20 years. But does that matter? Noooo. What matters? That I am not as cut and muscular as Jennifer or Kim at the gym. Does it matter that I bought a size 6 pair of shorts yesterday - something I couldn't have fathomed in my wildest dreams just a few months ago? Noooo. It only matters that I still see a pooch on my stomach and around my hips. Does it matter that I've lost over 25 pounds since the beginning of the year? Noooo. It only matters that my %bf won't budge below 23%.

Oh well. I'm working on the psychological side as well as the physical part. But, it helps to know I am not alone.

Thanks.

Oh my god, thats amazing progress you have made. And you could only have got there with dedication, a committment to a healthy lifestyle and perserverence. You should be so proud of yourself...does it really bother you that much that your not as cut as the next person...? You'll get there, it takes time...and some times we set such high standards for ourselves that we forget to appreciate what we have acheived...LIKE LOSING 25 POUNDS THIS YEAR!!! Thats bloody awsome!

stacey 010
06-30-2006, 04:27 PM
Wow, this is such a great topic to share! I found that I can relate to almost all of these mental hurdles...its nice to know that I am not alone!

Main mental roadblocker: Believing that fitness and my appearance mainly characterizes who I am. Thinking that people mainly associate me with fitness, working out, and eating strict...when in reality, most people dont even think this way about myself and instead, find other non-fitness related qualities to associate me with. I am constantly trying to remind myself that my life needs to stay balanced and that workouts, diet, and supps are not all about who I am.

oh my god fit..i thought i just read someone that i wrote...because you sounds exactly like me..and yup..there are other huge things in your life that help define who you are as a person. Noone is defined simply by one thing, even pro-bodybuilders i dont think. We have work or school, family and friends, hobbies and interests and the smaller things that characterise who we our...our humour, clumsiness, our dedication, or lovingness.
I think this is were many of us get caught up and one of the reasons i wanted to get into health and fitness and maybe compete was that i wasnt simply defined by what i do (clinical psychologist) but i wanted to over things in my life that defined what i was (being healthy and training hard).
Balance...yup..that and consistency and pateince are 3 difficult words many of us still dont have in our vocab...hehe...im working on it tho. :)

mykidsmom
06-30-2006, 05:17 PM
Stacey-

Thanks for your response. I AM proud of what I have accomplished thus far. But, I am also very competitive. I tend to be hard on myself and need to remind myself often that I have accomplished quite a bit. I imagine I am not alone here in that competitive drive! It has it's up sides and obvious downsides. ;o)

I, too, am a clinical psychologist, and sometimes try to think about what I would tell someone else if they were describing the sort of ineffective thinking I sometimes demonstrate.

Thanks again for the reality check -
Risa

daYDreAmErX
06-30-2006, 05:26 PM
Sometimes I ask myself "why should I do that, diet, workout so hard if I don't want to compete".

But the most mental hurdle is : "will this ________ [insert your answer here] kill me ? anyway, I just have to run one mile more next workout"

cazmcm
07-02-2006, 11:37 PM
I train hard 24/7 and I wish I could put the same effort into my diet and eat more throughout the day like my dietitian asks. I need to realise we're all different and require different cals/foods, gotta stop comparing with people and just do what I gotta do!