PDA

View Full Version : confused about BMR, Maintenance and Losing fat...

stacey 010
06-24-2006, 05:00 PM
ok...i know ive had some awsome advice from everyone on this forum but im still a little confused about the whole thing...If my main goal is to lose fat (which I think thats what i need to do..my bf% is to high and this should be my first goal...follwed by gaining muscle when I get down to about 15%bf)..

So lou and sherdi have adviced me I should be eating more if y bmr is 1500. This is what i dont understand...any would i want to eat moreif im trying to lsoe fat, since im not going below my bmr?
Also, when i try to work out my maintenance level...my do I times my bmr by 1.55 (activity 3-4 times a week) when I count that activity as my calories I burn to help me lose the fat..
im so sorry guys for being a pain in the ass...im just really nervous about eating more calories than i am as i think will get fat and cant understand why i should eat more if im putting in all of this effort (cardio and weights) to get rid of the calories stored on my ass...oowww...confused...its the rigidity of a ****ty eating disorder that makes me think is catastrphy terms and being scared to put anything i my mouth..
the other reason i dont eat a lot of carbs is because i have pcos and just find that the lower carbs work better for me....but then again...im willing to try anything :)
hugs
stace

terracotta
06-24-2006, 07:16 PM
because your body will lower your basal metabolic rate if you do not eat enough. Now, the 1.55 figure is JUST an estimate! It *may* be too high, it *may* be too low, the only way to find out is trial and error.

If you have PCOS, and need to have lower carbs, then yes, have lower carbs. But you still need to eat enough. Why not try a isocalorific split? 33%f 33%c 33%p

You should have a high calorie day at least once a week (every 4th day would be better) so that you keep your metabolic rate up. This is very important. If you burn fewer calories at rest, it will be even harder to lose the weight!

If you want a VERY thorough and clear guide to fat loss, and you don't have it already, I suggest getting a copy of Venuto's burn the fat feed the muscle. I have a full review of it up here (http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/bffmreview).

stacey 010
06-24-2006, 09:27 PM
because your body will lower your basal metabolic rate if you do not eat enough. Now, the 1.55 figure is JUST an estimate! It *may* be too high, it *may* be too low, the only way to find out is trial and error.

If you have PCOS, and need to have lower carbs, then yes, have lower carbs. But you still need to eat enough. Why not try a isocalorific split? 33%f 33%c 33%p

You should have a high calorie day at least once a week (every 4th day would be better) so that you keep your metabolic rate up. This is very important. If you burn fewer calories at rest, it will be even harder to lose the weight!

If you want a VERY thorough and clear guide to fat loss, and you don't have it already, I suggest getting a copy of Venuto's burn the fat feed the muscle. I have a full review of it up here (http://terracotta2.googlepages.com/bffmreview).

thanks heaps, i actually do have the e-book on my computer and probably should re-read it. I think i just need to start bakc slow, one baby step at a time and dont get freaked out if i dont get results asap. My biggest problem is not over doing it and to just be consistent...foucsing on a program that i can do day in day out and not burn out...eat enough carbs for energy and to keep me mentally sane but also help the fat loss. I will increase my cals slowly and stick to a program (not carb cycling) 7 days a week and on the 7th day allow myself to have a cheat meal, to bump up my calories to maintenance level....
i guess like many have experienced...it takes time and esp. having recovered (well, now that i think about it im not sure that i have as many of my patterns are still preservering) from an eating disorder to just take one day at a time...
:)
I guess i thought competing would get rid of my bod thoughts and help me gain confidence...i think its just highlighted how out of shape I am and how far i really have to go, making me feel even more depressed.

twinnett
06-25-2006, 04:16 AM
Not to discourage you from competing, but while recovering from an eating disorder, it seems that a competition would just make you MORE obsessed with every calorie, gram, and every tiny flaw about your body, which is probably not what you need right now. I was thinking about competing myself, but I realized that I need time to make myself in a healthier state, both mentally and physically before I think of that. Like I said, not to discourage you, but maybe something to think about. Good luck!

testdog65
06-25-2006, 06:54 AM
I haven't been at this for long, but wanted to offer something when I read your post.

I know exactly what you mean about the idea of eating more in order to lose weight/body fat. I have always thought that if you want to lose, eat less. Simple as that.

Well after I learned about BMR and determined my minimum number of calories, I realized that I was way below this number and had been for years. My body thought it had been starving and was stubbornly holding on to every calorie I gave it. In order to break this pattern, I have slowly begun increasing my calories. And I've been losing weight! I'm NOT the type of person that loses easily so this was quite a surprise. Actually, at this point, my goal is to bulk and then later to concentrate on losing body fat, so the idea that I'm losing at all right now just boggles my mind.

As far as the eating disorder goes, I'm right there with you. I've struggled on and off for years, so increasing my calories has been a REALLY difficult idea to get used to.

My advice is to add calores slowly. I'm adding about 100 calories every two weeks. By adding slowly, you give your body a chance to adjust and mentally it's easier to deal with as well.

Hope this helps.

~Ellen

stacey 010
06-25-2006, 04:14 PM
thankyou ellen and twinnett for your posts...i dont even knwo you guys...but i love you already...hehe :)
its funny you know...my best friend said to me...have you ever thought that you competing and obsesessing about food and the gym is just another means or outlet for your eating disorder and dystructive ways of thinking and behaving, just in a more acceptable manner....and you know what what...hes right...the more I think about competing the more i go crazy mentally and obsess about calories, carbs and if im exercising right and how much im exercising and that i have to get this weight down...
twinnett you are right...i dont think the idea of competing right now is good for me...i was meant to be developing a healthy relationship with food and start to feel better about myself but its turned into the opposite.
I was WAY OVER-EXERCISING....just like when i was at the peak of my eating disorder...setting rules and restricitions on everything...cutting out this and that and noticed my skin getting really bad....just like before.
So i have made a pact with myself to NOT think about competing for the next 6-12months or so.I think I need to get down to a healthy weight slowly and develop a healthy relationship with food first...concentrating on balanced meals and eating what makes me happy..
actually, i ended up cutting out dairy and friut because my trainer told me so and i could believe how bad my skin has got over the past 2 months...so the first thing i have done is introduce friut again (berries and apples) and also started eating cottage cheese again and having milk...and yes, im eating pumpkin...i was told to cut it out because its a high GI...what the hell...i love mashed pumpkin!
I think i need to start listening to my own body and not a trainer. And really start working on myself. I love going for daily walks, so im going to start doing that again and not make myself run if i dont want to. And maybe incorporating some gymnastics into my training program and not just weight train because i like it...
i think giving ourselves permission to do this is the hardest thing...im going to keep posting in my journal and just take one day at a time...thanks guys for the support...i guess now i just realised that perhaps your never over an eating disorder...but just learn to manage it day by day...

sherdi
06-25-2006, 04:50 PM
thankyou ellen and twinnett for your posts...i dont even knwo you guys...but i love you already...hehe :)
its funny you know...my best friend said to me...have you ever thought that you competing and obsesessing about food and the gym is just another means or outlet for your eating disorder and dystructive ways of thinking and behaving, just in a more acceptable manner....and you know what what...hes right...the more I think about competing the more i go crazy mentally and obsess about calories, carbs and if im exercising right and how much im exercising and that i have to get this weight down...
twinnett you are right...i dont think the idea of competing right now is good for me...i was meant to be developing a healthy relationship with food and start to feel better about myself but its turned into the opposite.
I was WAY OVER-EXERCISING....just like when i was at the peak of my eating disorder...setting rules and restricitions on everything...cutting out this and that and noticed my skin getting really bad....just like before.
So i have made a pact with myself to NOT think about competing for the next 6-12months or so.I think I need to get down to a healthy weight slowly and develop a healthy relationship with food first...concentrating on balanced meals and eating what makes me happy..
actually, i ended up cutting out dairy and friut because my trainer told me so and i could believe how bad my skin has got over the past 2 months...so the first thing i have done is introduce friut again (berries and apples) and also started eating cottage cheese again and having milk...and yes, im eating pumpkin...i was told to cut it out because its a high GI...what the hell...i love mashed pumpkin!
I think i need to start listening to my own body and not a trainer. And really start working on myself. I love going for daily walks, so im going to start doing that again and not make myself run if i dont want to. And maybe incorporating some gymnastics into my training program and not just weight train because i like it...
i think giving ourselves permission to do this is the hardest thing...im going to keep posting in my journal and just take one day at a time...thanks guys for the support...i guess now i just realised that perhaps your never over an eating disorder...but just learn to manage it day by day...

That is great news Stacey!! I am glad that you are making great progress with your thinking!!! I am really happy for you! I think it's great that you are just going to focus on getting yourself a good balance before you start thinking about competing.

As testdog suggests, slowly start increasing the calories and then you will find a calorie range that is good for you! No trainer can tell you that! It's something you need to find out yourself! Good job with adding in dairy and fruit back into your diet too! They are very good for you!!!

Good luck with it and let us know how you get on! :)

twinnett
06-25-2006, 05:09 PM
I know we don't know each other Stacey, but we sound so similar, and I am SO happy to read about your decisions! I have been there and am still trying to recover from overexercising, undereating, and obsession. I completely agree with your friend about competing being just a more acceptable outlet for the obsessiveness of the eating disorder. I'm so happy to hear that you're introducing foods that you love and are healthy. I would suggest that you might want to stop counting calories for awhile and do only periodic weighins. I'm going to try that myself. Last week on my honeymoon, I felt so relaxed and at peace w/ my body and food b/c I was away from the logging of food and the constant thoughts about what and when I was going to eat and go to the gym. It was such a release! And you know what? I LOST 4 pounds! I need to gain, so that's not good, but I didn't work out and I ate a bunch of "bad" foods. Just listen to your body, give it what it needs and craves, and let it REST! You've been overworking yourself for way too long, and you need to let your body recover. I will keep reading your journal, and I hope that you continue this healthy way of thinking!!!! I'm so happy for you!

Tara

imperfectly_lou
06-25-2006, 05:15 PM
So glad to hear you post that Stacey :)

There is a thread in the General Chat section you might be interested in, the title is something like "Recovering Bulimic" - lots of good info and thoughts there.

testdog65
06-25-2006, 06:11 PM
Stacey,

It sounds like you're making some great decisions about your health. I know how hard it is to fall into the trap of obsessing about every detail of your excercise and nutrition program. You are right to take a more relaxed approach to all of this. It will be a big benefit to you in the long run. Best of luck!

~Ellen

stacey 010
06-25-2006, 07:31 PM
seriously guys, i am so overwhelmed with the support on this forum...im now thinking really positively about the decision i have made and happy to just work on myself for a while...
its funny that some of you guys are from half way around the world and dont even know me, but can offer support and love when i need it most...rarely do you find that in you own back yard..
groug *hug*
lots of love
stace

alohafitness
06-26-2006, 12:31 AM
Wow Stacey! It's like you took the words right out of my mouth (competing=socially acceptable eating disorder, adding back fruits and berries and pumpkin! Exercising for fun instead of obligation) I'm going through the EXACT same thing right now. Just taking it one day at a time:P

Dashik
06-26-2006, 02:41 AM
I also belive that we (and our body) knows much more better what we need to eat than a trainer.. I've been in the same sittuation when my coach told me to cut milk and fruits but damn I can't live without milk.. You know I've been not consuming milk for 5 months and then I've realized that I HAVE A VERY STRONG CARVING for milk.. not chocolate or other but damn MILK!! I think that may be in the begining of healthy eating we need to calculate more and see what we eat, but later (after we loose interest for sugar and other chemicals from procesed food) we will feel what directly we need. We just should listen to our body..
As for me... I eat small list of food and you can always find it in my frige like chicken breasts, fish, tuna, sometimes lean meat, eggs, protein shakes, veggies and fruits (frozen and fresh), nuts, diary like milk 0-1.5%, low fat kefir and ofcourse cottage cheese, OATS (again with carvings :) ) brown rice, olive and flax oil.. And homemade PB but trying to limit it :)
A lot of people asking me stupid things why I'm eating this food without salt and using only clean water to prepare it and why the f*** I like my workouts so much? And why I'm going to the gym when I don't really overfat (I'm at normal weight) so they are very surprised that I'm enjoying the food I eat and the sport I've choose..

stacey 010
06-27-2006, 08:40 PM
I am sooo releived that there are other people out there who have been thru somthing similar to myself.
i stuggle with it every day. At the moment im having mental argumns with myself everyday about what i think i SHOULD be doing and what i WANT to be doing.
Im trying really hard to just get back to what made me want to go to the gym in the first place. and trying to re-lean when to recognise hunger.. im so used to eating by the clock that i dont know what hunger feels like. and when i dont eat every 3 hours i freak out. I havent been to the gym all week and i feel SOOOOOO guilty about it but i just so exhausted.
its really hard and im just trying to take it one day at a time..but i will keep posting and heopfully i will be happy with myself....someday

twinnett
06-28-2006, 05:22 AM
I'm thinking about you Stacey. Your body is exhausted. Please rest, eat when you're hungry, and you will come back stronger than ever! I know how you feel with the guilt and second guessing, but I know that you are strong enough to get through this!