PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed w/ counting cals

J.Bo
06-24-2006, 08:29 AM
Hi everyone. I don't post a whole lot of questions mostly read and occasionally advise but I need help here. I was never much of a calorie counter over the years. I have quite a bit of knowledge of diet and exercise so I'm no beginner but this is where I fall short (there are a few more areas too lol). Any how I started the BFFM a little while back because I realized this is where I was lacking. And I got away from it recently because I just got so overwhelmed and frustrated w/ counting. Point is, for example if I was doing a basic 40/40/20. I just can't seem to get everything perfectly broken down in each meal to meet those guide lines.Too much carb, not enough fat or too much fat ...Whatever. Maybe I'm analyzing this too much but but if I'm to lenient then I'm apt to go over or too low at that (over more than likely). How do you gals do this. Is there an easier way. I'm trying for about 1800 as for I want to lose right now. I just went thru a very inconsistent period where since the past holidays(I know that was a while ago) But it's been one thing after another since. Party here party there.So I've had some spurts of bad eating then back to good again so put on a few unwanted lbs. Trying to get back to being consistent again on a reg, basis. Right now I'm about 127 lbs at 5'0" approx. 20% BF So I have a pretty good amt. of muscle as you can see. Sorry if this seem long just trying to give you as much info so you can help me. Thanx a bunch

zutons
06-24-2006, 09:36 AM
Hi everyone. I don't post a whole lot of questions mostly read and occasionally advise but I need help here. I was never much of a calorie counter over the years. I have quite a bit of knowledge of diet and exercise so I'm no beginner but this is where I fall short (there are a few more areas too lol). Any how I started the BFFM a little while back because I realized this is where I was lacking. And I got away from it recently because I just got so overwhelmed and frustrated w/ counting. Point is, for example if I was doing a basic 40/40/20. I just can't seem to get everything perfectly broken down in each meal to meet those guide lines.Too much carb, not enough fat or too much fat ...Whatever. Maybe I'm analyzing this too much but but if I'm to lenient then I'm apt to go over or too low at that (over more than likely). How do you gals do this. Is there an easier way. I'm trying for about 1800 as for I want to lose right now. I just went thru a very inconsistent period where since the past holidays(I know that was a while ago) But it's been one thing after another since. Party here party there.So I've had some spurts of bad eating then back to good again so put on a few unwanted lbs. Trying to get back to being consistent again on a reg, basis. Right now I'm about 127 lbs at 5'0" approx. 20% BF So I have a pretty good amt. of muscle as you can see. Sorry if this seem long just trying to give you as much info so you can help me. Thanx a bunch

I know what you mean, i too was thinking how on earth am i going to get all these ratios/grams right?! Thank god for Fitday.com! You will have to key in all the data of course, a bit tedious, but once all that is done, with enough fiddling and tweaking, creating perfect e.g 40/40/20 eating plans will be a breeze.

J.Bo
06-24-2006, 01:15 PM
Thanx Zutons. Ya know I've seen that advice given for Fit day many other times to people but I never thought I needed to do that. I've dieted quite a bit thru out my life and I work out hard and heavy. So (not to sound cocky) but I kind of thought that was more so just for beginners. But I guess you could say I am a beginner when it comes to all this calorie counting stuff. Anyhow I just logged all my daily intake into the fit day and WOW how easy was that??? A tad time consuming yeah but easy. That is compared to me writing it in a note book and looking it all up. I guess biggest issue now is just managing to stay within those ratios. We'll see how it goes from here on in.

ab-swing asianbabe
06-24-2006, 09:06 PM
yep you can also look at nutritiondata.com or nutridiary.com - you can add meals in and that saves time if you are logging everyday - if you eat the same foods. I've heard that sometimes fitday can be inaccurate

northernbelle
06-25-2006, 06:45 AM
The breakdown of carbs, protein and fat will never be exactly perfect for each and every meal. It depends on the recipe and types of foods you are using.

I try to keep the meals as close to the range as possible. At the end of the week, I analyze the percentages and grams, and adjust the next week from there. I never hit 40/40/20 exactly, but if it's within 1-2% points, that's okay.

Saeco Pink
06-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Since we like variety, it will be very difficult to hit our numbers perfectly each time. That's okay, though, because the body prefers working in a system that changes rhythmically.

That said, limiting your range of foods helps you meet your numbers.

Simpy
06-25-2006, 01:32 PM
Since we like variety, it will be very difficult to hit our numbers perfectly each time. That's okay, though, because the body prefers working in a system that changes rhythmically.

That said, limiting your range of foods helps you meet your numbers.

Well said.

keep your numbers in fitday or some other nutritional tracker. Then set out to remember what your most commonly eaten foods have in them. It'll be a lot easier to decide what you need to eat after you've learned what works in your diet.

imperfectly_lou
06-25-2006, 05:21 PM
It isn't necessary to get the amounts exact in each meal. Certain meals require different breakdowns e.g. your post workout meal should have no fat and a large amount of carbs plus a moderate amount of protein.

Luvdogs
06-25-2006, 09:27 PM
It isn't necessary to get the amounts exact in each meal. Certain meals require different breakdowns e.g. your post workout meal should have no fat and a large amount of carbs plus a moderate amount of protein.

I agree here. I also try to stick with approx. a 40/40/20 ratio and some meals are a little more or a little less, but at the end of the day, I'm pretty close to accurate. I also double check FitDays macro counts with my food counts book if I question their stats, but I mostly input custom foods from the nutrition lables on them.

You can also print out the days meals and post it right on the frig! That's what I do, makes it easy when meal time comes to see what I planned and don't have to run to the computer! :)

iCY
07-01-2006, 08:17 PM
there is no magic ratio. the ratios dont give you the results, the clean foods you eat do. it doesnt matter if youre going over or going under. unless you have to CAREFULY moniter every single calorie that goes into your body, it makes no point to waste your time and effor trying to hit it exactly at 40/40/20 because 50/30/20 is fine, 30/50/20 is fine, even 35/35/30 is fine.

as long as you're getting enough protein, the rest depends on your goals, to lose fat or to gain muscle. whats the point of going anal about a few grams of fat or few grams of carbs if in the end you still put on the same amount of muscle. they just give you ratios as a place to start.

the general idea is, more protein = better for fatloss
more carbs = better for sports athletes, and bulking
fat = who gives a crap, dont eat too much and dont eat too little.

i count calories, but i use a scale to measure out. i dont go by servings, i go by grams so i have measured out every meal to the last protein, etc.... unless you're having a very hard time losing fat and need to count everything(thats why i do it)