PDA

View Full Version : Estrogen question

zutons
06-24-2006, 02:46 AM
I know there are estrogen-blocking products on the market (i assume) for men and we have contraceptives and post-menopausal estrogen supplements, my question is: does taking plant-based estrogens interfer with our fitness goals?

Dogmama
06-24-2006, 05:25 AM
This is akin to the example that a little fire will cook your dinner and too much fire will burn down your house. We need estrogen to keep our bones strong. Too much estrogen is linked to breast cancer.

I would not mess with my hormones unless I knew something was off balance - and even then - I think our bodies have an amazing capacity to reach homeostasis. Clean eating, exercise and relaxation help our bodies achieve their potential.

zutons
06-27-2006, 12:59 AM
Thanks for the reply, but i don't know if that answers my question though? I meant to ask, if a woman took plant base estrogen supplements (e.g to relive, balance or prevent, for whatever reason it may be), who also has fitness goals, would taking the supplement work against her in trying to achieve her goal?

alohafitness
06-29-2006, 01:48 PM
I know there are estrogen-blocking products on the market (i assume) for men and we have contraceptives and post-menopausal estrogen supplements, my question is: does taking plant-based estrogens interfer with our fitness goals?

It depends on what your goals are. If you are advised by a physician to take hormone therapy, then it would be in your best interest to do so if your goal is to be HEALTHY. Estrogen causes women to retain bodyfat, so a lot of competitors (including myself) choose not to encourage it by taking birth control, etc. I didn't eat any soy products when dieting. I didn't have a period for 1 1/2 yrs. either, which is not healthy. I have gained bf and added soy back into my diet and I have resumed having a period. I am not LEAN, but I am healthy. Does that answer your question?

zutons
06-30-2006, 05:07 AM
It depends on what your goals are. If you are advised by a physician to take hormone therapy, then it would be in your best interest to do so if your goal is to be HEALTHY. Estrogen causes women to retain bodyfat, so a lot of competitors (including myself) choose not to encourage it by taking birth control, etc. I didn't eat any soy products when dieting. I didn't have a period for 1 1/2 yrs. either, which is not healthy. I have gained bf and added soy back into my diet and I have resumed having a period. I am not LEAN, but I am healthy. Does that answer your question?

Ah, so a woman would still put on fat more easily even if she were following a very strict, clean diet and workout routine? Yes, thank you :)

mommy*2*3
06-30-2006, 05:25 AM
Estrogen is going to interfere with our goals as far as staying at a particular bf% range becasue it makes us hold on to fat more easily. However, Estrogen is also a protective mechanism in our body by keeping our bones stronger, maintaing our cholesterol levels and other things. Too little estrogen will cause problems as will having too much. Too much can lead to tumors and cancer, infertility, etc. I think it's ok to have your estrogen levels off temporarily while dieting but long term, it's not advisable. So if you're concerned about maintaing a long and healthy life then try not to mess with mother nature :)

Mom2Lots
06-30-2006, 10:42 AM
hope it's OK I pop in here and ask a question :)

I have been getting the depo shot so I don't get my monthlies :) see after having the twins when I would get my periods they were VERY heavy and VERY painful so I just didn't want to deal with it any more.
well I have my tubs tided so I cannot get preggos any more so I don't need the Depo for birthcontrol, LOL this seems to be getting long LOL
SOOOOOO my question I never had troubles with losing weight before but now I do, is this because of the Depo?? does anyone know??
I was thinking of going off it so I can get my BF down to were I want it :)

what does everyone think??

Thanks

MsLightning
07-03-2006, 05:20 AM
Just wondering which depo you are taking? Depo Lupron? or Depo Provera? Depo Provera is a birth control which still contains estrogen, which can be the problem with stored body fat. Depo Lupron is the opposite and basically throws you into a chemical menopause, which can be the problem with stored body fat. Personally, I tried them both for the same condition you mentioned. I was naturally producing too much estrogen, and therefore having the heavy periods, pain, weight gain, etc. None of the medicines helped me, but I did gain 100 pounds in a year trying them. I cut out all soy products and female drugs and lost the weight, but the problems didn't go away. My doctor just (as in less then a week ago) did an endometrial ablation to, hopefully, fix the problem. That is basically where they remove the lining of the uterus and stop the ability of the body to produce endometrial tissue. It permanently stops your periods so you can never have children, but you keep your ovaries, etc. so it doesn't throw you into menopause. The premise is to stop the painful periods and lower estrogen production by not needing it. I've already started seeing some signs of lower estrogen levels. I'm seeing cuts in my arms and I haven't been able to workout for a week because of the surgery. I'm also seeing a little irritability and hot flashes. The doctor thinks this is just my body balancing out the lack of need for estrogen with the ability to still produce it. I'll let you know how well it actually works for the pain and heavy periods in a couple of weeks when it should happen again if it is going to.

ChocoChick
07-03-2006, 06:17 AM
This is akin to the example that a little fire will cook your dinner and too much fire will burn down your house. We need estrogen to keep our bones strong. Too much estrogen is linked to breast cancer.

Almost. There are 3 different estrogens: estriol, estradiol and estrone. It is an imbalance among them that has been linked to breast cancer. Estriol is thought to have protective properties, while some research suggests that high levels of estradiol are responsible for cancers.

I'd say that more research is needed but personally, I stay clear of any synthetic hormones (i.e., bc pills, shots, patches, HRT, etc.) and make sure that any plant-based estrogens (i.e., soy) I consume are from organic, non-GMO sources.

Mom2Lots
07-04-2006, 10:16 AM
Just wondering which depo you are taking? Depo Lupron? or Depo Provera? Depo Provera is a birth control which still contains estrogen, which can be the problem with stored body fat. Depo Lupron is the opposite and basically throws you into a chemical menopause, which can be the problem with stored body fat. Personally, I tried them both for the same condition you mentioned. I was naturally producing too much estrogen, and therefore having the heavy periods, pain, weight gain, etc. None of the medicines helped me, but I did gain 100 pounds in a year trying them. I cut out all soy products and female drugs and lost the weight, but the problems didn't go away. My doctor just (as in less then a week ago) did an endometrial ablation to, hopefully, fix the problem. That is basically where they remove the lining of the uterus and stop the ability of the body to produce endometrial tissue. It permanently stops your periods so you can never have children, but you keep your ovaries, etc. so it doesn't throw you into menopause. The premise is to stop the painful periods and lower estrogen production by not needing it. I've already started seeing some signs of lower estrogen levels. I'm seeing cuts in my arms and I haven't been able to workout for a week because of the surgery. I'm also seeing a little irritability and hot flashes. The doctor thinks this is just my body balancing out the lack of need for estrogen with the ability to still produce it. I'll let you know how well it actually works for the pain and heavy periods in a couple of weeks when it should happen again if it is going to.

Hello thank you for answering my many questions
it is the depo provera, I didn't know there was 2 kinds BUT if the other didn't work for you then I don't think I will even mention it to my Dr.
I hope things work out for you after the surgery and yes please let me know how it goes because if it works for you I will mention this to my Dr.
as of this point I was suppose to go in and get my next shot BUT I think I will leave it and see how things go again off it.

thanks again